Shark Week

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rrash
Posts in topic: 1

Shark Week

Post by Rrash »

Does anyone else miss Jacques Cousteau? Maybe it's just something about a dudebro, trying to prove to us he is better, smarter, and more environmentally conscious, while the rest of the human race hastily destroys the planet. But how does climbing in a cage and swimming with an animal that wants to eat him prove his point?

I never thought I would write something like this, but I miss ugly men in speedos and beanies, smoking their unfiltered cigarettes, scuba diving in old school gear, and narrating their story themselves in broken English. Their conclusion usually left you with more questions, and you couldn't wait for the next adventure.

Now days, it is surfers impersonating as scientists in a cookie cutter reality TV style show that tells you what to think: Either, the 'scientists' got that amazing money shot - a shark jumping out of the water as it tries to eat a plastic seal decoy (just a top water lure with no hook), or the anthropomorphization that sharks are really just misunderstood - they are good and people are bad.

I miss the shows that allow you to form your own opinions on the subject.

MeMelYup

Re: Shark Week

Post by MeMelYup »

That's the difference between learning and indoctrination.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

It's all about eyeballs. Bread and circuses, appealing to mass tastes. Remember Newton Minow!

Cousteau didn't attract the viewership, which is why the show didn't continue, compared to, say, Jeopardy, which drives me crazy but lots of people watch it, and watch the commercials that keep sponsors writing the checks.

Look at some of the appalling "reality" shows now on. Some will go away when the fad expires, of course, to be replaced with other even more appalling productions.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

steve817

Post by steve817 »

As much as I bash on the French (all in fun of course) Jacques Cousteau was and is without a doubt the greatest in his field. I still stop and watch episodes of the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau when channel surfing.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I love Jacques Cousteau!

As an avid diver for many years I dived all over the world. I thought his efforts to bring education about the sea being used as a dumping ground made sense.

I don't think he was some sort or overly-green - eco-freako or get lost kind of guy.

He simply wanted to make us aware of what was going in our seas.

You can't get much more conservative a guy than me, but I don't like those who use our seas as dumping grounds.

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

He just had a way of this is what I am seeing as I do my thing. No pushy agenda. Here is the facts and this is what I am seeing. And left it at that. One remarkable episode I seen was they did a dive on a ship wreck and found some 200 year old wine and had it for dinner that night. No trying to profit off it. He live life and enjoyed what he did. Had the attitude of "will I ever have a chance to do this again" Showed his passion, and let his concerns be known and did not have THE shove it down your throat mentality. A true teacher. Put the info out there and the students will come. Yep I do miss that show. As a kid I learned lots from watching that. Doubt I could learn 10% of what he had out there watching what is on tv now.
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”