Hatch chiles

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hatch chiles

Post by RPBrown »

I saw that Grand Prairie is having a Hatch Chile festivlle next weekend
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

mewalke
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mewalke »

I thought that moving here from New Mexico was going to be difficult, having to import my NM (aka Hatch) Green Chiles.... Thank goodness Texas is a significant importer of Hatch chiles! Green chile cheeseburgers, green chile enchiladas, green chile stew, green chile corn caserole, mmm....

Topic author
Warhorse545
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Warhorse545 »

[quote="RoyGBivI finished reading that and realized I was smiling ear to ear... Thanks for sharing. :thumbs2:[/quote]

No prob, but those peanuts did get used in grandmothers peanut brittle. All 200 pounds of peanuts she had granddad get :) Ok not 200 every year. I ate a few pounds of them after she roasted them in the oven. Front porch with best friend talking about what great things we would do for year after year. :mrgreen: I did the Army thingy and he said anything but a maize farmer. He is still farming maize and loves it. :P)

Interesting to see how I am starting to think like my grandparents. But for different reasons. Both raised in depression and went big on getting what was on hand at the time and as much as they could so it was around for when there was nothing else. I stock up on these because I do not like what is around when they are not :) We have so much around she never had.

We are so spoiled now days it is not even funny on what is out there to be had. What I can not get now days is Kansas Sand Hill Red Plum Jelly grandmother made, the peanut brittle she made. Angel's food cake with the egg white frosting. They are gone forever. And she made TONS of it all. What was in season she canned, jellied, pickled. Never thought nothing of it then and got to where I wanted some of the new stuff that was out there. Spoiled. But Hatch Chilies are still here and I will hoard the hell out of them. It reminds me of what she did with them. I do hear Central Market is doing a Hatch peanut brittle. So I got a mission for tomorrow :) As good as my grandmothers, nope, better nope, good idea YEP Different can be better and not be the same.
TSRA Life Member

w squared

Post by w squared »

I'm new to Texas, so this is my first exposure to Hatch Chiles. I picked up a couple pounds of roasted chiles from Central Market this afternoon, chopped them up, and froze some for making green chile sauce later. I also picked up some fresh chiles - not sure what I will do with them yet. Any suggestions?

I spread a bit of the finely shopped roasted/peeled/seeded chiles on some foccacia, topped with some queso fresco, and broiled it for dinner this evening - after that I'm not at all sure that I picked up enough!

mewalke
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mewalke »

w squared wrote:I'm new to Texas, so this is my first exposure to Hatch Chiles. I picked up a couple pounds of roasted chiles from Central Market this afternoon, chopped them up, and froze some for making green chile sauce later. I also picked up some fresh chiles - not sure what I will do with them yet. Any suggestions?

I spread a bit of the finely shopped roasted/peeled/seeded chiles on some foccacia, topped with some queso fresco, and broiled it for dinner this evening - after that I'm not at all sure that I picked up enough!

One tip on freezing the roasted chiles. In my experience, being from NM where our green chile is like a religion, it is best to freeze them whole with the skins still on.

Roasted green chile strips on a cheese burger is awesome (some prefer chopped). One of my favorite breakfasts is a green chile cheese bagel with cheddar and chopped green chiles under the broiler. You can put it in or on just about anything. Sautee some chopped green chile with some diced onion and pour it over a nice medium pork chop and veggies and starch of your choice for an awesome dinner.

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

mewalke wrote:Roasted green chile strips on a cheese burger is awesome (some prefer chopped).
I believe that's on the menu here tonight...

Topic author
Warhorse545
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Warhorse545 »

w squared wrote:I'm new to Texas, so this is my first exposure to Hatch Chiles. I picked up a couple pounds of roasted chiles from Central Market this afternoon, chopped them up, and froze some for making green chile sauce later. I also picked up some fresh chiles - not sure what I will do with them yet. Any suggestions?

Hence me buying 50 pounds and wondering if I had enough :) The can be quite addictive.
TSRA Life Member

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

bought a full box today @ .68 per pound and will roast on the grill or in the oven over the next day or so. One thing we have always done; after roasting and cooling, we freeze most of the chiles in bags of 6-10 each,UNPEELED...seems to last longer and easy to peel as they thaw. yum. (probably should buy a second box as this is the cheapest I've seen since leaving West Texas.
Dave
:txflag:

rotor

Post by rotor »

My wife bought 1 1/2 cases at a Hatch festival at United supermarket. Also bought one of those vacuum food savers at Sam's. Now freezer is stocked.

Return to “Off-Topic”