School me on uninsured driving

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

School me on uninsured driving

Post by Jumping Frog »

Before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion, I am well-insured and have been so consistently (decades).

I have an 18 year-old son that I want to get off my insurance (he is not a good driver). He is employed and will pay for his own insurance.

HOWEVER, I am also aware that he has no track record for paying bills on time. Therefore, I want to help educate him on the consequences should he continue to drive after a policy is cancelled for non-payment of premium.

If he is in an accident, he is obviously personally liable. But what are the potential criminal consequences? I've read in passing people talking about some kind of surcharge and that it ends up being hugely expensive. Not to mention the increased insurance rates for some period of time.

Anyway, I want to sit with him in a "Come to Jesus" talk where I lay out all the facts and consequences. I am going to point out that he cannot earn any money without a driver license (got to commute to work) and therefore he must protect his driver license at all cost -- paying his insurance has got to be the first and most important bill he pays.

Can you please help school me? Thanks.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

JJVP
Posts in topic: 2

Re: School me on uninsured driving

Post by JJVP »

Jumping Frog wrote:Before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion, I am well-insured and have been so consistently (decades).

I have an 18 year-old son that I want to get off my insurance (he is not a good driver). He is employed and will pay for his own insurance.

HOWEVER, I am also aware that he has no track record for paying bills on time. Therefore, I want to help educate him on the consequences should he continue to drive after a policy is cancelled for non-payment of premium.

If he is in an accident, he is obviously personally liable. But what are the potential criminal consequences? I've read in passing people talking about some kind of surcharge and that it ends up being hugely expensive. Not to mention the increased insurance rates for some period of time.

Anyway, I want to sit with him in a "Come to Jesus" talk where I lay out all the facts and consequences. I am going to point out that he cannot earn any money without a driver license (got to commute to work) and therefore he must protect his driver license at all cost -- paying his insurance has got to be the first and most important bill he pays.

Can you please help school me? Thanks.

This should have the info you want

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/cb020.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Is the car in your name or his? If it's in your name and he has permission to drive it you'll be on the hook for any liability claims should he fail to get insurance or let's it lapse.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Yeah if you own the car its your problem, not your son's. Well it is still his problem, but they look for who has money.

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

JJVP wrote:This should have the info you want

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/cb020.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a shame the fine for violating the financial responsibility law is less than the cost of insurance for many people. It would be like carrying a handgun without a CHL having a $25 fine for the first offense.

JJVP
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JJVP »

bizarrenormality wrote:
JJVP wrote:This should have the info you want

It's a shame the fine for violating the financial responsibility law is less than the cost of insurance for many people. It would be like carrying a handgun without a CHL having a $25 fine for the first offense.
Maybe for the first, but any more is something else. Loosing your car and a suspended license is not something I would considered low cost.

First offense: fine of $175 to $350
More offenses: fine of $350 to $1,000, suspension of your driver’s license, and impoundment of your automobile
Offense without a driver’s license: $2,000 maximum fine, 180 days in jail, or both
Offense if you cause an accident with serious injuries or death: $4,000 maximum fine, one year in jail, or both.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

spolct

Post by spolct »

FYI, the agency you're with may require that anyone living at your address be covered on your policy. Something to look into.

My kid will be paying for her cell phone (her own personal plan) as well as gas as soon as she's working. An inability to pay for either should result in direct, fairly immediate natural consequences.

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

puma guy wrote:Is the car in your name or his? If it's in your name and he has permission to drive it you'll be on the hook for any liability claims should he fail to get insurance or let's it lapse.
Putting the car in his name.

As car as the insurance company, I also have a 19 year-old son with his own car and insurance living at home. The insurance company said he does not need to be on my policy since he has his own insurance and vehicle. If I let him drive one of my cars (for example, he drove it to Kroger to fill it with gas for me) as "incidental use", then there are no coverage issues.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

I had a arguement with my Ins company they wanted to charge me more because of my son who only had a learners permit. He used my address for his learners permit. Well he was in the Marines and stationed in Cali at the time and they wanted me to show he had his own Insurance. I told them he is an adult and Iam not his keeper and have no obligation to prove anything to them for an adult and not living with me. They put a rider on my policy not allowing anyone under 25 to use my car. I dropped them for Car, life, and home owners insurance after having them for over 15 years.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

spolct wrote:FYI, the agency you're with may require that anyone living at your address be covered on your policy. Something to look into.
:iagree:

FWIW more than 20 years ago when my son went off to college a suitable distance away, my insurance went down, and all we did was change his address on the policy.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

If he were in Irving and got stopped without insurance, they will tow your car then.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Found out that someone caught without insurance also pays a $250 per year surcharge for their driver license for 3 years. If your license gets suspended and you are caught driving, then that is also another $250 per year for 3 years.

docbrazos

Post by docbrazos »

For sure if he is found without insurance he may just get a citation (probably Not) but the vehicle will go to jail, An officer just can't wright him a ticket and then let him leave and continue to violate the law. Been there done that!
Gun control means hitting the target!

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

docbrazos wrote:For sure if he is found without insurance he may just get a citation (probably Not) but the vehicle will go to jail, An officer just can't wright him a ticket and then let him leave and continue to violate the law.
They do in Houston. No license and no proof of insurance? No problema.

Return to “Off-Topic”