Sunscreen Ban Causes 10-Year-Old Girl To Get FRIED

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 4

Sunscreen Ban Causes 10-Year-Old Girl To Get FRIED

Post by Jim Beaux »

It's been said that turkeys are so stupid, that when it rains they drown cuz they keep looking up with their beaks gaped. The reason I bring this up is I "spect" one or two may be working for a San Antonio school district. :banghead:
North East Independent School District spokeswoman Aubrey Chancellor defended the policy because, she said, the district considers sunscreen a medication.

“Typically, sunscreen is a toxic substance,” :banghead: Chancellor told the Fox affiliate, :banghead: “and we can’t allow toxic things in to be in our schools.” :banghead:

The district spokeswoman argued that allowing kids to handle sunscreen is a very risky thing to do. :banghead:

“They could possibly have an allergic reaction [or] they could ingest it. It’s really a dangerous situation,” :banghead: Chancellor said.

“We have to look at the safety of all of our students and we can’t allow children to share sunscreen,” :banghead: she added.
http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/06/schoo ... ield-trip/

WHAT ABOUT HAND SOAP? Does the school allow 11 year olds access to hand soap without supervision? :grumble
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

jmra
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Sunscreen Ban Causes 10-Year-Old Girl To Get FRIED

Post by jmra »

May be a stupid rule but we always applied sunscreen to our kids before school during May and August - never had an issue with the kids getting burned. Of course if our kids had a field trip or a field day my wife or I would take off work and go with them. Bet they don't prevent parents from bringing sunscreen on a field trip.
Perhaps if parents were more involved in their children's education and extracurricular activities these things wouldn't be an issue. If skin cancer does run in this family's history and the mother doesn't feel it is important to plan her time off to attend these events, she should get an order from the doctor prescribing sunscreen applications throughout the day. Then if administration does not want the child "self medicating" they would have to send a nurse on field trips to apply the sunscreen at the prescribed intervals.
There is always more than one way to skin a cat.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Unicorn Rancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

Jim Beaux wrote:It's been said that turkeys are so stupid, that when it rains they drown cuz they keep looking up with their beaks gaped. The reason I bring this up is I "spect" one or two may be working for a San Antonio school district. :banghead:
The parents must be even more stupid to not apply a long-lasting sunblock before sending their child on an outdoor field trip, especially with that family medical history. One also presumes they signed a note giving the school permission to take their child on that field trip.

:roll:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

one would also "presume" sunscreen would be allowed on a field-trip where 10 year-olds would be outside all day in the sun in San Antonio in May!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:one would also "presume" sunscreen would be allowed on a field-trip where 10 year-olds would be outside all day in the sun in San Antonio in May!
Unless the kids are going to a water park I'm not sure it's necessary. Parents need to apply it before the kids leave the house. Not to mention the fact that very few 10 year olds would have taken the time to apply sunscreen if they had it. This is a very simple case of a mother who screwed up by forgetting to apply sunscreen on her child and now wants to blame everyone else for her mistake.

I read the story again, the parents have known all year that sunscreen is not allowed at school. Nowhere in the story does it say that sunscreen was confiscated the day of the field trip. This means that the parents knew that if they wanted their kids protected they would need to apply it prior to school, or attend the field trip and apply it throughout the day. Obviously this mother did neither.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texsquatch »

Parents should be applying sunscreen at home anyway, especially of they have a concern with there skin health. I don't see the school at fault. I'm am also sure that if the cancer-worried mother had shown up at school to apply it before the event, the school would gladly allow it. I think what the school doesn't want and what this so called ban is about regards the act sending sunscreen or medication for a child to administer on there own. This is nothing new.

My son goes to private school, but I'm sure all schools require meds to be checked in with the nurse if the child must take it during the . I attended my son's field day to chaperone, and applied multiple layers on his freckles because he burns easily. I also handed the sunscreen to a couple parents so they could apply to their own kids. No one got arrested or kicked out of school.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Texsquatch wrote:I attended my son's field day to chaperone, and applied multiple layers on his freckles because he burns easily. I also handed the sunscreen to a couple parents so they could apply to their own kids. No one got arrested or kicked out of school.
Bingo! It's all about parental involvement. Unfortunately too many parents are like the one in the story; knowing ahead of time that her child would not be allowed to bring sunscreen - she didn't apply sunscreen prior to the kid leaving for school, she didn't make arrangements to attend the event, she didn't make arrangements to authorize another parent attending to apply sunscreen on her child, and even with a family medical history of skin cancer she didn't have a doctor prescribe sunscreen as a medication which would have forced the school to apply the sunscreen. She failed in the most basics of parenting and somehow this is the schools fault.
It irrates me to no end that parents somehow feel that once they drop their kids off at school all parenting responsibilities somehow transfer to the school. I don't think the general population has a clue how many kids wearing $200 shoes are given breakfast because the parent doesn't take time to feed them before they left the house. Or how many hours are spent with kids before and after school (during dismissal) by school staff helping kids with homework because we know their parents are not going to take the time to help them. News Flash! You don't have to send your kid to public schools! If you don't like the job the ISD is doing, Fire Them! Of course for most parents that would mean no more baby sitting services and would force them to assume the actual role of a parent.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

With the school district, you have to keep in mind that you can't fix stupid.

But you can fire it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Excaliber wrote:With the school district, you have to keep in mind that you can't fix stupid.

But you can fire it.
If you have a written policy and documentation that said policy was violated . . . :smilelol5:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jim Beaux »

SewTexas wrote:one would also "presume" sunscreen would be allowed on a field-trip where 10 year-olds would be outside all day in the sun in San Antonio in May!

SewTx I agree.

I am surprised at the number here who have missed the point. This isnt about a parent being irresponsible. In fact, a parent sending sunblock for an 11 year old child is being proactive and responsible. The point is about big brother denying a parent's wishes regarding the healthcare of their child. The school spokesman's arguments were ridiculous.

Regardless of what some here have posted, it's not an irresponsible parent who presumes that logic will prevail while our children are at school for 8 hours a day - and on the issue of logic, what poses a greater threat; skin cancer or sunblock? :banghead:

Parents cannot hover over their children 24 hours a day. A parent cant to go to school every day to insure the kids are eating a healthy lunch. Part of raising a successful child is giving him room and allowing allowing him to grow independent. I was an involved parent, but I also traveled and though I attend most after school activities, it was impossible to attend day activities; and furthermore, It would be a logistical nightmare if every mom and dad decided to go on their child's field trips. (you can bet the school would ban that)

And finally, a parent should know and understand the guidelines of any product they give their child :biggrinjester: -
Sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow the ingredients to fully bind to the skin. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important as putting it on in the first place, so reapply the same amount every two hours. Sunscreens should also be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off, or sweating a great deal.
http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/su ... -explained

This is an issue of parent verses big brother.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

umbrella
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

I look forward to reading the CPS investigation report on this one.

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mamabearCali »

Of course you can put sunscreen n at the start of the day, but if it is an outside all day event it is only reasonable to reapply. Sunscreen gets sweated off, rubbed off etc etc. It is an asinine policy. It does fit with their one size fits all approach to just about everything. A very very few might have problem with certain sunscreens so they are are going to prohibit it for everyone when very reasonable procedures could keep everyone safe. Stupid stupid stupid.

Let everyone who has ear to hear, hear. "Gov't is not eloquence (or wise policy) it force and like fire a dangerous servant and a fearful master." This include Govt at the elementary school level. Decide whether or not you wish to subject yourself and your children to it because in this one instance you have choices. Make the best choice you can for your family.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jim Beaux wrote:

SewTx I agree.

I am surprised at the number here who have missed the point. This isnt about a parent being irresponsible. In fact, a parent sending sunblock for an 11 year old child is being proactive and responsible. The point is about big brother denying a parent's wishes regarding the healthcare of their child. The school spokesman's arguments were ridiculous.

Regardless of what some here have posted, it's not an irresponsible parent who presumes that logic will prevail while our children are at school for 8 hours a day - and on the issue of logic, what poses a greater threat; skin cancer or sunblock? :banghead:

Parents cannot hover over their children 24 hours a day. A parent cant to go to school every day to insure the kids are eating a healthy lunch. Part of raising a successful child is giving him room and allowing allowing him to grow independent. I was an involved parent, but I also traveled and though I attend most after school activities, it was impossible to attend day activities; and furthermore, It would be a logistical nightmare if every mom and dad decided to go on their child's field trips. (you can bet the school would ban that)

And finally, a parent should know and understand the guidelines of any product they give their child :biggrinjester: -
Sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow the ingredients to fully bind to the skin. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important as putting it on in the first place, so reapply the same amount every two hours. Sunscreens should also be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off, or sweating a great deal.
http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/su ... -explained

This is an issue of parent verses big brother.
The parent is irresponsible if they know sunscreen is not allowed and do not take steps to protect their child. Unless you see something I don't, I can't find anywhere in the story where the mom actually sent sunscreen for the field trip and it was taken away.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

mamabearCali wrote:Of course you can put sunscreen n at the start of the day, but if it is an outside all day event it is only reasonable to reapply. Sunscreen gets sweated off, rubbed off etc etc. It is an asinine policy. It does fit with their one size fits all approach to just about everything. A very very few might have problem with certain sunscreens so they are are going to prohibit it for everyone when very reasonable procedures could keep everyone safe. Stupid stupid stupid.

Let everyone who has ear to hear, hear. "Gov't is not eloquence (or wise policy) it force and like fire a dangerous servant and a fearful master." This include Govt at the elementary school level. Decide whether or not you wish to subject yourself and your children to it because in this one instance you have choices. Make the best choice you can for your family.
Don't know what kind of sunscreen you are using but unless my kids are at a water park, a good coating in the morning will adequately protect them all day in the sun.
Regardless if it is a bad policy or not, the mom knew the rules and failed to take appropriate steps to protect her child. That's on her, not the school.
I can almost assure you that this schools policy was the result of a lawsuit filed by some other irresponsible parent that expected the school to protect their child from exposure to said sunscreen.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Off-Topic”