Camping & Glamping

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Camping & Glamping

Post by Venus Pax »

Thanks so much for responses. I hadn't considered a Casita since I assumed they would be to heavy for a minivan to tow. I'll check out their website. I know I will need to add an appropriate hitch and a transmission cooler regardless.

Again, thanks so much for all the information.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Be sure to post pictures of what you choose. :thumbs2:

SATX-Scrub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SATX-Scrub »

Look, I might be a bit myopic on this, but have you considered an old Airstream? You say you wanna go glamping, and why not go with the original GlampMobile? (I just made that word up). Have a look at this:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/ads ... -22-texas/

I love full timing it in my Airstream. Its like joining a cult.
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I prefer the Holiday Inn Express camper. It comes with all the amenities. Air Conditioning etc. It also has cinnamon rolls that just "pop up" in the mornings.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I have not used a pop-up since I was a kid. Back then, we camped all over the east coast in one (Philly to Miami and then up through Montreal). That was six kids plus my parents. No A/C or shower, had to use campgrounds for them. Since then my camping has all been Boy Scout type tents and such.

Recently, my wife and I started looking at buying a trailer. Pop-ups have come a long way since the 60s. I prefer a travel trailer, but I already have an F-150 to pull it with. I have seen quite a few pop=ups that would meet your needs, in the mid 20s price wise. I think I would also recommend going used if you can find a good one.

For travel trailers, I am looking primarily at the Starcraft GPS trailers. small one start around 30K new, but have everything I want in one without getting too fancy. Problem i saw is how much campgrounds cost now, and hotels can be cheaper than a payment on a trailer and campground. Buying used would help that, as would staying in state and national parks.
Steve Rothstein

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

This is an old thread resurrected by a spammer.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Cristina wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:26 am Actually, Couples of things need to think or consider before making a final decision! Did you really want to buy the pop-up trailer or pop-up campers? Which one is most fit/suitable for you? This is one of the most valuable parts, throughout the process. Moreover which vehicles you are going to use, is that good fit for your desire camper or trailer?
I clearly remember, When I went to buy the first camper I hadn't any Idea so that day I came back from the RV's shop And research all the considerable things well enough then made my choice. I would like to recommend this article here.
Good enough to know the complete details about new and used RV as well. :cheers2:
It took you four years to respond?? They made their decision long ago. :banghead:
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

As an owner of an off-grid house on wheels (up-fit 2006 Mercedes Sprinter cargo van, http://interstateblog.blogspot.com/ and a glamping multi-forum participant for the past four years (plus the same groove on Instagram, ad nauseum), here is the procedure that I recommend:

(1) Review all makes and models and zero in on the configuration that you think you want.

(2) Assess your budget which will tell you whether you will be buying new or used.

(3) Find the forum for that particular option (there's a targeted forum for everything) and research the model you chose, so that you know full well what you'll be getting yourself into.

Glamping vehicles, whether towed or self-powered, are surprisingly complex machines - even the smaller ones. The number one source of buyer's remorse is people not realizing what a maintenance and repair task they are taking on when they get one. They think to themselves, "Oh, I'll just buy this, and all of my problems will go away." No - you'll buy it, and a brand new set of problems will commence. And hopefully some fun will also commence, but don't make the mistake of overlooking the ratio between the two.

An example is the new Airstream Basecamp, which is a small trailer (2,600 lbs), sort of Airstream's answer to the Casita. It looks awesome, but if you go into Air Forums and read the Basecamp threads, you'll get a real eye-full of the problems that its buyers have been having. And those problems are with a brand new unit - so imagine what can be required of a model that is older. Make sure you are willing to take on stuff like that, including the massive learning curve that goes with it, before you buy.

Edit: I didn't see the spammer advisory until after I wrote this. What the heck - there's my two cents for anyone else who may have the same question.
;-)

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:59 am This is an old thread resurrected by a spammer.
I did not notice the dates. I feel so used. :oops:

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Cristina wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:26 am Actually, Couples of things need to think or consider before making a final decision! Did you really want to buy the pop-up trailer or pop-up campers? Which one is most fit/suitable for you? This is one of the most valuable parts, throughout the process. Moreover which vehicles you are going to use, is that good fit for your desire camper or trailer?
I clearly remember, When I went to buy the first camper I hadn't any Idea so that day I came back from the RV's shop And research all the considerable things well enough then made my choice. I would like to recommend this article here.

Good enough to know the complete details about new and used RV as well. :cheers2:

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Here is a copy of a post I did on the Jayco RV forum a few years back.

When we started tent camping I would see this big huge RV's pull in and would think. "Geez, if your going to camp, CAMP. A few years later as we were sitting out by our RV we would see the other RV'rs with their big screen TV's outside. I would think " Geez, if your going to camp, CAMP" Last weekend while we were sitting outside of our RV watching the game on our big screen TV a tent camper pulled up.. I looked over and said to myself.. SUCKER...

:anamatedbanana

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:58 am Here is a copy of a post I did on the Jayco RV forum a few years back.

When we started tent camping I would see this big huge RV's pull in and would think. "Geez, if your going to camp, CAMP. A few years later as we were sitting out by our RV we would see the other RV'rs with their big screen TV's outside. I would think " Geez, if your going to camp, CAMP" Last weekend while we were sitting outside of our RV watching the game on our big screen TV a tent camper pulled up.. I looked over and said to myself.. SUCKER...

:anamatedbanana
:lol: :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”