Buying silver

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Buying silver

Post by joe817 »

Andy, I think you have to much time on your hands. LOL.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Wes
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wes »

I buy from provident all the time, great company imo. I personally buy silver Eagles as the cost is so close to generic rounds and they are more known. This helps future resell value. Those are pretty cool tho, I almost bought some of the Texas ones myself. They also sell the bullets, but haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

I only buy US coinage. Gold or Silver. Two years ago I was in a antique store and I saw a single US silver dollar for $25 In a case. I snapped it up immediately. Amazing what a couple of years can make.

Most of my silver I paid face value for. Wish I had gone into serious debt in ' 64 to get more. But who would have loaned money to a kid.

I was in a coin store a while back and a man came in with a big cloth bag of US silver dollars to sell. He bought them in India or some place over there. Got them real reasonable. The first thing the man behind the counter did was put a known silver dollar on a digital scale. Then he put the mans silver dollar on there. It was light.

He then said they were all fake. Sorry.

He then said look at the edges. When you looked carefully at the ridges at one point there was a seam where the first ridge started and the last one ended. No seams on the edges of a US silver dollar. It was perfect. No beginning or end, perfect.

Investors will pay more for US coinage as it is difficult to fake. Safer.

I'm not sure how far down metal prices will go, but any good investment plan should have 5 percent metals. But it is important to buy low sell high. (Duh) when they are saying metal buyers are fools is a good buy signal. When the adds on the radio are non stop or the news has stories about the mint can't keep up with demand , is a good sell signal.

Collectible coins are for experts. When metal prices are high, collectible coins are depressed. When metal prices are low collectible prices go higher.

gljjt
Posts in topic: 5

Post by gljjt »

Interesting article on fakes

http://thefisch.com/shownews/id/1411222857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carlson1
Posts in topic: 18

Post by carlson1 »

What is better bars or coins?

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

AndyC wrote:Well, these come from a well-known private Texas mint, so fake isn't an issue - this is me hedging with some silver for the long-term against inflation. As an aside, it was interesting that there's no sales-tax on precious metals any more in Texas-Texas sales - pretty cool.

I got some of the zombie coins in copper, too - those are inexpensive and fun :)

[ Image ]
Didn't mean to imply they were fake. Was responding to the previous post re: fakes. Those are pretty cool. I personally have a hunch over the long haul, silver will be a very good investment.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

carlson1 wrote:What is better bars or coins?
Coins don't have to be assayed. Bars may have to be. Coins are more likely to be tradeable, IMHO.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 18

Post by carlson1 »

gljjt wrote:
carlson1 wrote:What is better bars or coins?
Coins don't have to be assayed. Bars may have to be. Coins are more likely to be tradeable, IMHO.
Thank you :tiphat: I have been recently studying the purchasing of metals. Very interesting thoughts on the philosophy behind why.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

AndyC wrote:Bars apparently have less of a premium over the spot-price, from what I'm reading - more metal for your money. The glitzy rounds that I bought aren't the best bang for your buck, but I wanted something cool - and silver is at its lowest price in 5 years, so I figured I'd climb in.
Rounds are more easily traded I believe. I think rounds are better investments for most people. When you sell, you can probably get closer to spot with rounds selling 'locally' (ftf with other similar Investors) than to the big national metals houses. For intermediate to long term, I think the slight premium to spot to buy rounds is a non-issue.

Return to “Off-Topic”