Buying silver

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

gljjt
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Buying silver

Post by gljjt »

rotor wrote:The Hunt brothers didn't seem to know when to buy either. Buy for the fun, not for profit. Like the guy on tv says, "I like to hold it in my hand" or however he paraphrases it.
Equating the Hunt brothers to those on this forum buying silver isn't really a fair comparison. The brothers were multi-billionaires trying to corner the market, highly leveraged for their purchases and ending up owning one third of the worlds supply of silver. They ended up paying $134,000,000 in fines for their market manipulations. Assuming the current market isn't being manipulated to that scale, silver is probably a good investment for the average investor, as long as not all eggs are in the same basket, silver or otherwise. Other than the Hunt blip, silver has tracked real goods for a hundred years.

If the stuff hits the fan silver purchasing power will rise rapidly, IMH(nonprofessional)O.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

This is one of those fields where it is really buyer beware. There are so many companies out there that have been scams. Look up Merit Gold and a bunch of the others. Many have taken their training from Bernie Madoff I guess. You send your money and maybe you get your gold or silver. Just be careful with these kinds of deals. There are MANY scammers out there. You may actually be safer dealing on ebay. I have no personal recommendations.

sookandy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sookandy »

I had to buy some more today when I saw the price drop.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rotor wrote:This is one of those fields where it is really buyer beware. There are so many companies out there that have been scams. Look up Merit Gold and a bunch of the others. Many have taken their training from Bernie Madoff I guess. You send your money and maybe you get your gold or silver. Just be careful with these kinds of deals. There are MANY scammers out there. You may actually be safer dealing on ebay. I have no personal recommendations.
My only complaint with Northwest Territorial Mint, from whom I bought my Stagecoach Bars, is that they nearly messed up on the shipping. I placed the order before I went to California. Part of that decision was their shopping cart system which said that they would ship the bars for arrival on 12/23, which gave me plenty of time to return from California before they arrived without me there to sign for them. Instead, they actually shipped them while I was in California. I arrived home about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, and they were delivered later that day. On the one hand, its nice to know that they bettered their announced delivery date. On the other hand, I can't count on them delivering them when they say they will deliver them. What if I had missed my flight or there had been a weather delay?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rex B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rex B »

So today, where does one buy Silver Eagles and at what price?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

brhalltx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by brhalltx »

Were those 1921 Morgans?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 18

Post by carlson1 »

I have found Provident Metals to be the cheapest. I have also found some good deals at APMEX. APMEX also has great customer service. JM Bullion has not had very man deals.

It is hard to believe those 10oz bars have went up $20.00!

:thewave

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Rex B wrote:So today, where does one buy Silver Eagles and at what price?
AndyC wrote:Looks like $21.99 each ex shipping from providentmetals.com, $22.26 from jmbullion, $22.78 from APMEX, etc

Less than 3 weeks ago I bought Morgan silver dollars for $17.36 ex shipping.
About a month ago I bought five silver eagles for $16.99 and free shipping. (From APMEX)

I also sold a gun and bought a 1/4oz gold eagle coin. I had my jewelry mount in in a pendent for my wife's birthday which is January 26. If everything goes real bad and we need precious metals to eat I will take the necklace back. :lol:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

brhalltx wrote:Were those 1921 Morgans?
http://www.jmbullion.com/1921-morgan-silver-dollar-vg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.providentmetals.com/1921-mor ... lated.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.apmex.com/search?q=1921%20Mo ... ollar%20BU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Off-Topic”