Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Topic author
Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#1

Post by Scott B. » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:30 am

I've been watching Wallander (BBC version) on Netflix. If you like Scandinavian dark/depressing + the venerable 'British Mystery', you'll enjoy it. Kenneth Branagh is terrific as the lead - no surprise there.

But, the series has to be about the worst for basic firearms 101 that I've seen in a long, long time.

I know firearms are a mystery to the directors, editors, cast, and perhaps even their LEO consultant, but not to the prop guys. I'm pretty good about not letting such things throw me out of enjoying a show, but sometimes if they keep multiplying you just have to laugh.

What are your worst movie/TV gun sins?

Shoot to empty but the slide never locks back? Toss in a stereotypical "click" "click" "click"?

One I see a lot is whenever pistol suppressors are used. There's almost never a threaded barrel beforehand (that's picking nits I know). Then the suppressor is magically attached.
Last edited by Scott B. on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

User avatar

Vol Texan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2052
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:18 am
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#2

Post by Vol Texan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:50 am

Scott B. wrote: What are your worst movie/TV gun sins?
Hiding behind a car, automatic gunfire raining down upon the actor from an elevated position. Suddenly, there's a pause, and the actor takes one shot with a pistol and takes down the assailant from over 100 yards away.

Sorry, but nobody's that good.

Well, maybe Chuck Norris:

[youtube][/youtube]
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor & NRA Pistol Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Armored Cav. | Tennessee Squire

User avatar

A-R
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 5776
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: Austin area

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#3

Post by A-R » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:16 am

Vol Texan wrote:
Scott B. wrote: What are your worst movie/TV gun sins?
Hiding behind a car, automatic gunfire raining down upon the actor from an elevated position. Suddenly, there's a pause, and the actor takes one shot with a pistol and takes down the assailant from over 100 yards away.

Sorry, but nobody's that good.

Well, maybe Chuck Norris:
Apparently Austin PD Sgt. Adam Johnson is that good. Hit an active shooter in the heart at 312 feet with a handgun one-handed while holding the reigns of two horses. Heck with Chuck Norris, that's John Wayne level of Beast Mode.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/20 ... /19766877/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar

VMI77
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6096
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm
Location: Victoria, Texas

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#4

Post by VMI77 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Hard for me to say, since if it's too bad I can't stand to watch it. I'm always scanning for fingers on the trigger and the number of times I'm seeing that seems to have declined --on TV shows at least.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

User avatar

Jaguar
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:24 pm
Location: Just west of Cool, Texas

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#5

Post by Jaguar » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Glock 7 - Die Hard 2

"That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines here and it costs more than what you make in a month!"
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison


gthaustex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1318
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 am

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#6

Post by gthaustex » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:46 pm

A-R wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:
Scott B. wrote: What are your worst movie/TV gun sins?
Hiding behind a car, automatic gunfire raining down upon the actor from an elevated position. Suddenly, there's a pause, and the actor takes one shot with a pistol and takes down the assailant from over 100 yards away.

Sorry, but nobody's that good.

Well, maybe Chuck Norris:
Apparently Austin PD Sgt. Adam Johnson is that good. Hit an active shooter in the heart at 312 feet with a handgun one-handed while holding the reigns of two horses. Heck with Chuck Norris, that's John Wayne level of Beast Mode.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/20 ... /19766877/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have no reason to doubt Acevedo's version of the story....if true, that is one heck of a shot by the APD Sgt. Nice shootin Tex. :thumbs2:

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7496
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#7

Post by anygunanywhere » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:41 pm

gthaustex wrote:
A-R wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:
Scott B. wrote: What are your worst movie/TV gun sins?
Hiding behind a car, automatic gunfire raining down upon the actor from an elevated position. Suddenly, there's a pause, and the actor takes one shot with a pistol and takes down the assailant from over 100 yards away.

Sorry, but nobody's that good.

Well, maybe Chuck Norris:
Apparently Austin PD Sgt. Adam Johnson is that good. Hit an active shooter in the heart at 312 feet with a handgun one-handed while holding the reigns of two horses. Heck with Chuck Norris, that's John Wayne level of Beast Mode.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/20 ... /19766877/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have no reason to doubt Acevedo's version of the story....if true, that is one heck of a shot by the APD Sgt. Nice shootin Tex. :thumbs2:
That ranks right up there with Billy Dixon's shot at Adobe Walls.
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood


MechAg94
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1584
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#8

Post by MechAg94 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:52 pm

That is one good reason why it is a good thing to try shooting at 50 or 100 yards with your favorite pistol just to see what you have to do to hit at that range.


MechAg94
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1584
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#9

Post by MechAg94 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:57 pm

A good guy is holding someone at gun point. That person thinks they are bluffing and threatens to rush them. The good guy pulls back the hammer on the DA/SA pistol to show they mean business. I always thought that was silly. With a really heavy or long DA trigger pull, I can understand single action being quicker, but the scenes are silly.

Maybe not a gun thing, but why does the good guy always stand 3 feet from the unarmed back guy, hold the gun loosely, then have it kicked or knocked out of their hand necessitating the required kung fu hand to hand fight?

How about the overdone hostage situation where the good guy doesn't want to shoot for fear of hitting the hostage held in front of the bad guy. Never mind that they are very close and there is plenty of exposed area to aim at.

User avatar

Jumping Frog
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5485
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Klein, TX (Houston NW suburb)

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#10

Post by Jumping Frog » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Putting a suppressor on a revolver. :roll:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#11

Post by K.Mooneyham » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Back in 1994, an Air Force Security Policeman at Fairchild AFB dropped an armed assailant at ~70 yards with his issued M9 Beretta. It took him 4 shots, the first two were misses and the third hit the assailant in the shoulder. Still impressive for that long of a distance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Air_Force_Base

User avatar

G26ster
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2655
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#12

Post by G26ster » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:35 pm

Directors go for "dramatic effect" for "general audiences." I don't think they give a rip about what a few gun enthusiasts might nit pick. The same is true for any field of expertise. Those "in the know" will always find the bad. I guess as a helicopter pilot I should get upset every time one is damaged by ground fire or mechanical issues, and smoke comes out of the engine bay, a turbine engine "sputters?" it gets uncontrollable, and it "spins" to the ground to a fiery crash. Wow, a simultaneous, engine fire, flight control failure, and anti-torque failure! Makes me giggle, but the general public seems to love it.

User avatar

Jaguar
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:24 pm
Location: Just west of Cool, Texas

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#13

Post by Jaguar » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:53 am

G26ster wrote:Directors go for "dramatic effect" for "general audiences." I don't think they give a rip about what a few gun enthusiasts might nit pick. The same is true for any field of expertise. Those "in the know" will always find the bad. I guess as a helicopter pilot I should get upset every time one is damaged by ground fire or mechanical issues, and smoke comes out of the engine bay, a turbine engine "sputters?" it gets uncontrollable, and it "spins" to the ground to a fiery crash. Wow, a simultaneous, engine fire, flight control failure, and anti-torque failure! Makes me giggle, but the general public seems to love it.
Dad? Is that you? :biggrinjester: j/k

My dad was a Master Army Aviator and not shy about pointing out the errors in helicopter in film and television. I would often hear, "they put the sound of a UH-1 over the shot of the twin turboshaft SH-60. Jeez, these people stupid?" I could only think that the sound of the helicopter did not change my opinion of the movie since I was blissfully unaware, so I guess guns snafus have the same effect on most people.

But come on, cocking a Glock? :smash:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison


CoffeeNut
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:52 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#14

Post by CoffeeNut » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:22 am

I was watching Kingdom last night and nearly lost my mind at one of the actors instructing his mother on the safety of a PPK/s. "Red dot means its on safe. No red dot means its ready to fire." He then hands her the gun and she proceeds to have a negligent discharge. :grumble
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8399
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

#15

Post by Abraham » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:58 am

I've more than once read in novels of a guy taking the safety off of a Glock.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”