Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

Post by A-R »

This is one of the tops for me in a show (The Walking Dead) that is loaded with bad Hollywood gun goofs (first episode a deputy turns off the "safety" on his Glock with an exaggerated thumb movement and audible click)

I think someone counted 27 rounds fired without reload from the 5+1 pump shotgun in below scene (CAUTION: one four-letter word in the video game voice over, but I had to use this version because the added video game schtick really makes the point):

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

A-R wrote:This is one of the tops for me in a show (The Walking Dead) that is loaded with bad Hollywood gun goofs (first episode a deputy turns off the "safety" on his Glock with an exaggerated thumb movement and audible click)
That happens a lot, in multiple shows and movies. Just saw it yesterday in The Librarians (probably won't be watching that series).
A-R wrote:I think someone counted 27 rounds fired without reload from the 5+1 pump shotgun...
Also happens a lot. But I don't expect much from The Walking Dead in terms of weaponry. After all, they chose to make the iconic weapon of the zombie apocalypse a crossbow...probably the worst choice you could make: one shot, then you have to put it on the ground to nock the string again and put in a fresh bolt. Modern hunting crossbows have draw weights from 125- to 225-pounds, so not a rapid affair to prep a second shot. I guess the crossbow just looked cool to the writers.

Speaking of shotguns, one of my favorite gaffs is to see a character fire a round or three from a pump gun followed by a brief break in the action. Then to show he's putting his game-face back on, he racks the slide...but no shell pops out of the ejection port. I don't know why, but that action seems to repeat itself in multiple shows and movies, too. I guess it's the same tactic as cocking a pistol to show you really mean business. :???:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

The 12ga thing you even see some of in the gun culture. I was at the gun show and saw one of those Turkish made semi-autos...it had this wicked looking compensator on the end of it about 6 inches long.

I asked, "what's that for?"
He said, "it fans out the muzzle flash."
I said, "why?"
He said, "to scare 'em."
I said, "...to scare the guy that you are already shooting at with a 12ga?"

...silence...

Anyway, I digress. Back to the bad firearms 101 in TV and Film...

The scene in sooo many movies. one guy is holding a semi-automatic handgun to someones's head as they are tied up. the one having the gun pointed at him looks up scared as the guy holding the gun gets more and more stressed as to whether to shoot 'em or not. He finally resolves to shoot them, pulls the gun from the guys head, racks the slide and puts the gun back to the guys head again and commences to stress AGAIN...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “Off-Topic”