What's causing American obesity and cardiovascular disease?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tracker
Posts in topic: 63

Re: What's causing American obesity and cardiovascular disease?

Post by Tracker »

Dr.Wayne wrote:here are some risk factors off the top of my head (cardiovascular disease):
1. high cholesterol
2. smoking
3. uncontrolled diabetes
4. uncontrolled hypertension
5. moderate to severe sleep apnea
6. stress/type A personality
7. lack of quality sleep
8. sedentary lifestyle

obesity in general:
-stress
-lack of sleep
-poor diet
-lack of regular exercise (heck, id be obese if I didnt run 3.5 miles a day for the last 10 years, and im still fat)
(Getting up on my soapbox) Dr Wayne, I'm married to a 30+ year career nurse so I also get around other nurses. In my personal opinion the medical community, in general (there are exceptions), is full of professional arrogance by looking down their noses at the patient. These nurse do not think scientifically. What I mean is that they don't use any healthy skepticism about their own beliefs. They never attempt to falsify their beliefs. They just follow the script that was handed down to them from on high (the "anointed ones", if you watched one of my recently posted videos or see below). My wife will not watch these videos because.... "It's just your genes." Genetics haven't changed in 50 years.

I'm 58 years old and began bodybuilding at 20. For most of my adult life I listen to the American Heart Association on dietary advice. As far as I'm concerned the AHA can kiss my...butt. Even though I worked the oilfield every day and lifted weight and ran most weekdays, I always found it tough to keep my % of body fat down without going hungry.

My two brothers went on high blood pressure meds in their 20s. They both went on statins (although my older brother quit his). They liked their beer. Beer has three things going wrong with it: the alcohol and the brewer's yeast both of which raise uric acid contributing to increased blood pressure and the maltose (malt sugar). All three of those promote weight gain. University of Colorado's researcher Dr Richard Johnson talks about that in his book The Fat Switch ( It's why you get a beer belly and not a liquor or wine belly. I drank my share of beer, too, but kept it to the weekend. My blood pressure was always 120/70. Until....

...I got into my 50s and was finding it harder to stick to an exercise program. I would quit exercising for a year at a time. I still adhered to the AHA diet guidelines. My body weight went up to 236lbs (38" pants waist). My cholesterol went to 265 so I went to my doctor who said he didn't want to put my on statins (he didn't like them). He said "you know what to do so get your weight down." I cut out the saturated fat and brought my total cholesterol down to 245. Plus, somewhere during this time my blood pressure went to 152/103. That freaked me out. So I got busy trying to get the excess weight off. I cut back on calories and got on the treadmill for 4 miles per day (even though I knew a person doesn't burn many calories per mile). I got my weight down to 225lbs and the weight loss stopped. If I tried to eat any less I would've felt starved. I had gotten my total cholesterol down to 187 and my doctors comments on the panel was "Holy cow, you did it." I'd like to go pull that report to see the ratio of triglycerides to HDL. It wasn't a VAP panel.

Then I heard about this paleo diet thing. Did some research and said to myself, "this makes sense" and gave it the 30 day trial. 25 years earlier, I had already began thinking about evolutionary biology applied to bodybuilding, ie what would be the ideal ratio of muscle to stamina for a hunter/gatherer. I just didn't think to apply that to nutrition. It just so happened that at the end of those 30 days I had to take my aunt to see my doctor. I noticed he'd lost some weight. So I asked him if he'd ever heard about the paleo diet and he said "yeah." I said, "Well, I went on this diet about a month ago and lost 10lbs like that (snapping my finger). Then he asked, "How do you feel?" I said, "That's the other thing. My energy has gone way up and my concentration is up. I can now spend all evening reading a book. I've read four in the last month." My doctor then admitted he'd been doing a paleo diet for 6 months. He now prescribes it to patients. My blood pressure two weeks ago at the dentist was 126/76.

I have never been on any kind of medications.

OK....What do you mean by high cholesterol? Anything over 200? IMO Bull. There is no statistically significant evidence of total cholesterol under 300 contributes to heart disease. Here's the argument for how the under 200 came about and the financial conflict of interest involved.

What matters in cholesterol is particle size, ratio of triglycerides to HDL, inflammation. And there is zero evidence that eating saturated fat contributes to heart disease. Saturated fat raises HDL and A-LDL. Carbs raise triglycerides, raises B-LDL, and corispondingly lowers HDL. Accoding to Dr Peter Attia MD (see videos towards the end of my rant) the ratio of try/HDL is a four time better predictor of heart disease than total cholesterol.

And Credit Sussie's Research Institute just came out with this that affirms those same arguments:
https://doc.research-and-analytics.csfb ... RvaRWdQ%3D

The patients, like me, are waking up to this lipid hypothesis scam and here's how

Your #s 3, 4, and 5 are all caused by following the USDA's, The AHA's, and ADA's lowfat, high-complex carb diets. That diet is why we have an epidemic of metabolic syndrome.

Because doctors are limited in the amount of time they can spend with their patients I think is was very cleaver of Dr Ted Naiman to put up this youtube video for them to watch on their own time.

and, with Naiman's video, insulin blocks leptin at the brain

and why are you still fat if you run 3.5 miles per day? A 200lb person burns about 130 calories per mile. Let's use 100cal/mile.

At 3500cal in a pound of fat and 100cal per mile a person would have to run 35 miles to burn of the calories equivalent to one pound.
3500/100 = 35miles.
To burn off 20lbs a person would have to run 700 miles
35miles x 20lbs = 700

which is why I could gain fat while working the oilfield and exercising weekdays in my twenties.

As a runner you'll appreciate these two guys.

Prof Tim Noakes MD is a world renown sports medicine researcher works with world class marathoners and Iron Man Triathletes His book, The Lore of Running, has been called the bible on running. He now tears out the pages from his on book were he talks about the need for carbohydrates. And notice what he says about the whole lipid hypothesis and saturated fat. The LH has never been proven.

Dr Peter Attia MD got his undergrad and graduate degrees in engineering. He was accepted into an aerospace engineering PhD but decided to become a doctor instead. He studied medicine at Stanford and did his residence at Johns Hopkins. You say you're fat and running 3.5 miles per day....Attia says he got fat exercising 3 hours per day. He's an ultra-marathon swimmer and long distance biker. He swam the Catalina Channel twice, a distance of 25 miles. Here's his story and self experimentation. Notice how his blood work improved eating an 80% of calorie diet of mostly saturated fat.

and this is what Attia has to say about the official dietary guidelines

As far as my exercising is currently going. As it turns out I've been doing exactly what Dr Ted Naiman recommends. I do 5 -7 total sets on weights once per week. I do the Big 5 exercises: horizontal push/pull (bench press and back row), vertical push/pull (pull downs/chin ups, and shoulder press), and then leg presses. About mid week I do 8 Tabata sprints on an elliptical: 20 second sprint 10 second rest. Takes 4 minutes. Admittedly, on the other days I should be getting in some mileage walking and stretching. For work I'm a self employed disk jockey lucky enough to work from home.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tednaiman

So what kind of shape am I in? I weigh 208lbs and my bluejeans waist size is 33. I can't pinch an inch. The weight equipment I use is Cybex and on most of that equipment I have to use the entire stake. When I first went on the paleo diet I dropped my weight to below 200lbs and was in a size 32 jeans. I relaxed my carb intake and some of that weight came back. My vice is having a glass or two of wine before bed which usually means snaking on something like chips. If I want to get the weight off, which I currently am, I have to cut out that vice most nights.

I'll get off my soapbox, now

Dr.Wayne
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dr.Wayne »

wow, i dont have the attention/time to look this over, but looks pretty detailed.
First time gun owner/CHL'er
Houston, TX
Children: Glock 43, Springfield XDS-45, and happily expecting an AR-15 self build

MONGOOSE
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MONGOOSE »

I know many people who have lost significant amounts of weights with various diets. I lost 60 lbs with the Jay Robb glycemic diet my self. My sister 45 lbs with meta fast . Some with Atkins some with the Mediterranean etc. Any body who says they have the "mAgic" diet is full of it.....calories in calories out folks

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

Calories in, calories out is baloney.

My weight varies day to day sometimes 2 lbs. and from bed time to rising I generally lose 2 lbs. I know I didn't consume or burn 7,000 calories net in those intervals.

In view of the imprecision of measuring either consumption or used in real life, the claims often made are bogus, illusory. It reminds me of my grandmother who had rules about how long after eating we had to wait to swim to avoid getting cramps and drowning. Soup and jello, an hour, tuna sandwich and chips hour and a half, hamburger and fries two hours, complete old wive's tale nonsense. I'm coming up on 70 years old, have been a masters swimmer and triathlete and have never heard of anyone getting cramps and drowning as a result either, come to think about it!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

If you vary 2 lbs a day it is water weight. Keep a food diary and let's talk. I bet we don't have an RD amoung us... Just a bunch of antecdotal speculation

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Dr.Wayne wrote:wow, i dont have the attention/time to look this over, but looks pretty detailed.

Dr. Wayne, if that Dr means medical doctor then you, esp, need to go through all that since it challenges what medical doctors are taught. It's like Dr Tim Noakes says medical doctors suffer from cognitive dissonance since it's too pain full to admit they might be harming their patients.

If I come across as being angry, it's because I am. :mad5 I spent much of my early adult life listening to those dietary guidelines. I bought and read the AHA nutrition book. But there was this nagging question: If I tell a cardiologist I'm eating a stick of butter/lard every day he'd say I was trying to give myself a heart attack. But this same cardiologist might tell me I need to lose 100lbs. OK, well how does that butter get from my digestive system and into my arteries? It gets broken down into saturated fatty acids. How would that 100lbs of body fat get out of my fat cells and into my arteries when it's locked up with a glycerol chain? My fat cells have to break that chain and then the saturated fatty acids are released back into the cardiovascular system. It's the same saturated fatty acids whether its coming from my diet or from my fat cells.

If I lose weight at a rate of 100lbs in 400 days that's losing it at a rate of 1/4lb per day.....or the equivalent of a stick of butter/lard.

Begs the question: If eating saturated fat causes heart disease then does dieting it off also cause heart disease? I have never seen an answer to that....and if dieting the fat out of the cells then God and Mother Nature sure pulled off a very inefficient way to store energy. Is that the best they could do?

What I've now learned (along with a lot of other people) is I, mistakenly, assumed that really smart biochemists were doing all this lab work to show the cause and effect that eating saturated fat was somehow different from dieting it off. The lipid hypothesis has never been proven....hence it's still a hypothesis.

If you watch nothing else you should slide the bar to 32:45 on this lecture about how the present cholesterol guideline came about, the researches didn't print their conflict of interests in the journal, and the statistical back flip used to claim statins lowers risk of heart attacks by 24%. And finally the cardiology professors who wrote an open letter to the NIH politely disagreeing with the findings.

Here's a synopsis from memory: Eight out of the ten researches were paid by drug companies. The lead researcher was being paid by 10 companies. One of the researches was a big stockholder in the same companies. There were 3800 subjects with total cholesterol about 290. 1900 was given a statin and the other, the control group, was given nothing. At the end of the study 30 people in the statin group had a heart attack. In the control group 38 people had a heart attack. The real statistical difference is 1.6% to 2%. Statistically insignificant. But....the difference between 1.6 and 2% is a 24% reduction. And IIRC 3 more people died in the control group.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

MONGOOSE wrote:If you vary 2 lbs a day it is water weight. Keep a food diary and let's talk. I bet we don't have an RD amoung us... Just a bunch of antecdotal speculation
Yep and even the difference in the volume of food I've eating from one day to the next. I can fluctuate anywhere from 206 to 209lbs from one morning to the next.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

DR Wayne

BTW here's the Petition to the National Institute of Health to review its guidelines on total cholesterol that Dr Diamond reports on in that video

https://cspinet.org/new/pdf/finalnihltr.pdf

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Tracker wrote:DR Wayne

BTW here's the Petition to the National Institute of Health to review its guidelines on total cholesterol that Dr Diamond reports on in that video

https://cspinet.org/new/pdf/finalnihltr.pdf
Dr. Duane Graveline

When Dr. Duane Graveline, former astronaut, aerospace medical research scientist, flight surgeon, and family doctor is given Lipitor to lower his cholesterol, he temporarily loses his short-term memory. Urged a year later to resume the drug at half dose, he lost both short-term and retrograde memory and was finally diagnosed in a hospital ER as having transient global amnesia (TGA). This is the "scary, appealingly written" account of his search for answers that his medical community didn't have -- the how and why of his traumatic experience, and what needs to be done to prevent the devastating side effects to body and mind from the escalating use of the statin drugs.

Inside Medicine - Statins Part 1

Inside Medicine - Statins Part 2

The Dangers of Statins (Cholesterol lowering statin drugs Side Effects LDL cholesterol Myth CoQ10)

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

The diet industry is a multi billion dollar scam industry. Just be seiensabe and eat about 1600 good calories a day and guess what.....you loose weight.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

MONGOOSE wrote:The diet industry is a multi billion dollar scam industry. Just be seiensabe and eat about 1600 good calories a day and guess what.....you loose weight.
A calorie is not a calorie. A 1000 calorie of sugar will jack up insulin and stress the pancreas, raise triglycerides, raise LDL-B, and lower HDL. If you substitue those 1000 calories of sugar with saturated fat triglycerides, LDL-B will go down and LDL-A will go up (A isn't associated with heart disease), and HDL will go up. That's what the clinical research shows.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

This is an up to date version of Prof Diamond's lecture.

David Diamond- Demonization and Deception in Cholesterol Research

Published on Sep 26, 2015

For the past 60 years there has been a concerted effort to demonize saturated fats, found in animal products and tropical oils, and cholesterol, in our food and blood. Despite the well-established health benefits of diets rich in cholesterol and saturated fat, flawed, deceptive and biased research has created the myth that a low fat, plant-based diet is ideal for good health. Poorly conducted epidemiological research, U.S. government intervention and misinformation conveyed by contemporary lifestyle researchers have contributed to the current state of confusion on dietary influences on health. The public must educate themselves on how to optimize their diet and cardiovascular health.

David M. Diamond is a professor in the Departments of Psychology and Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology at the University of South Florida and is a Research Career Scientist at theTampa Veterans Hospital, where he has directed his research program on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injury (TBI). He has also served as the Director of the USF Neuroscience Collaborative program and is a Fellow at the American Institute of Stress and the International Stress and Behavior Society.

Dr. Diamond has served on federal government study sections and committees evaluating research on the neurobiology of stress and memory, and has over 100 publications, reviews and book chapters on the brain and memory. He has served on the editorial boards of numerous medical journals and has received over 25 years of federally funded support for his research.In the past decade, Dr. Diamond has expanded his research program to include cardiovascular disease and nutrition. His controversial research is an extension of an advanced seminar he directs at the University of South Florida entitled “Myths and Deception in Medical Research”, which emphasizes the critical evaluation of methods and conflicts of interest in health-related research. In recent years he added to his list of publications controversial papers on diet, cholesterol and statins, including one paper published in the peer-reviewed medical journal “Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology”, which described the deceptive practices employed by researchers promoting statins for the treatment of cardiovascular disease. Dr. Diamond has been invited to present his myth-busting views on nutrition and cholesterol to lay people and physicians at nutrition, cardiology, obesity and diabetes conferences all over the world.

Dr. Diamond received his Ph.D. in Biology in 1985, with a specialization in Behavioral Neuroscience, from the Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory at the University of California, Irvine.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

How statistical deception created the appearance that statins are safe and effective in primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease
Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology (Impact Factor: 2.18). 02/2015; 8(2):1-10. DOI: 10.1586/17512433.2015.1012494
Source: PubMed
ABSTRACT
We have provided a critical assessment of research on the reduction of cholesterol levels by statin treatment to reduce cardiovascular disease. Our opinion is that although statins are effective at reducing cholesterol levels, they have failed to substantially improve cardiovascular outcomes. We have described the deceptive approach statin advocates have deployed to create the appearance that cholesterol reduction results in an impressive reduction in cardiovascular disease outcomes through their use of a statistical tool called relative risk reduction (RRR), a method which amplifies the trivial beneficial effects of statins. We have also described how the directors of the clinical trials have succeeded in minimizing the significance of the numerous adverse effects of statin treatment.

How statistical deception created the appearance that statins are safe and effective in primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease (PDF Download Available). Available from: http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ar_disease [accessed Oct 1, 2015].
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ar_disease

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

Tracker wrote:
MONGOOSE wrote:The diet industry is a multi billion dollar scam industry. Just be seiensabe and eat about 1600 good calories a day and guess what.....you loose weight.
A calorie is not a calorie. A 1000 calorie of sugar will jack up insulin and stress the pancreas, raise triglycerides, raise LDL-B, and lower HDL. If you substitue those 1000 calories of sugar with saturated fat triglycerides, LDL-B will go down and LDL-A will go up (A isn't associated with heart disease), and HDL will go up. That's what the clinical research shows.
What about sensable don't you understand

mojo84
Posts in topic: 27

Post by mojo84 »

This is the third video of a three video series. She talks about how willpower alone is not enough for long term weight loss and maintenance.

http://freedom.brightlineeating.com/ff- ... 40bbf03e8b
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Off-Topic”