Uber bans firearms of all types

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Uber bans firearms of all types

Post by OldCannon »

(Not sure where to post this, so left it in off-topic)

Uber band drivers and passengers from having any kind of firearms. I hope they go out of business. Fast.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ns-in-cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Uber bans firearms of all types

Post by Abraham »

Thus, if a violent criminal knows you're riding in an Uber vehicle, he knows you're defenseless.

Way to go Uber...

TheDude
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheDude »

How would the know if their drivers are carrying? My wife drives for Uber sometimes for extra cash. You just start the App on your phone and it starts sending you requests. You are driving your own car. You never talk to or meet anyone from Uber.

I think a lot of people are doing it for extra money so to them losing their "Job" really isn't that big of a problem. Besides firing you, how much legal trouble could you get into for carrying a firearm in your own car? From what I read in the article not much. I don't see it doing much to stop either passengers or drivers from carrying concealed. Now open carry....

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

TheDude,

On a side note: Until this thread, I'd not heard of Uber.

Are they more or less expensive than a taxi?

I ask because my next door neighbor has to fly to Alaska every 2 weeks and leaves his vehicle in airport parking, which he'd rather not do.

Perhaps, if Uber is economical enough he could use them and leave his beloved vehicle at home.

Thanks!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

It's hard to tell about how much a ride is going to cost.

I have read that the rates increase drastically during "peak" hours so they are a lot more than a cab.

Also, not all areas are served by Uber.

I think that mostly in downtown areas of the cities, not so much in the suburbs.
NRA Endowment Member

TheDude

Post by TheDude »

Abraham,

It's usually cheaper than a Taxi. There are different rates depending on the time and day. For instance 12am to 2am on a Friday or Saturday would be considered 'Peak' hours since people are coming home from bars, etc. The rates would higher than 1pm on a Tuesday. Holidays and Events also change the rates.

The cool part is that the app tells you how much the entire trip will cost before you book it. You just download the app to your phone and enter the to and from addresses. You will see the total cost and can decide to accept or not. There are usually no tips involved but you can tip if you want. You pay through the app and it bill directly from you account. So no cash exchange is required. Your app will show you a picture of the driver and what kind of vehicle they are driving. So you know who is picking you up.

This is the same for the driver as well. My wife can see who is requesting a ride and then decide if she wants to drive them. She has more than once refused to pick up certain people. They never know that she denied them. She just doesn't select the request and it moves on to the next closest driver who is logged into the app.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

They will lose some drivers. Every robber will know that the driver is unarmed and has cash on them. That's too tempting a target to pass up.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

Abraham wrote:TheDude,

On a side note: Until this thread, I'd not heard of Uber.

Are they more or less expensive than a taxi?

I ask because my next door neighbor has to fly to Alaska every 2 weeks and leaves his vehicle in airport parking, which he'd rather not do.

Perhaps, if Uber is economical enough he could use them and leave his beloved vehicle at home.

Thanks!
Abraham,

It sounds like your neighbor goes to the airport as much as I do. If y'all live in the Houston area, I can hook him up with my car service (no, I don't own the service, they take me to the airport). My driver is CHL and PPO certified, and he is better armed than most CHLs that I know (including me). He and I always talk about guns and liberals every time I ride with him. After 8 years now, I consider him about as trustworthy as it gets.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

ELB didn't notice this thread and started a new one. He put this link in it: Uber driver shoots man who allegedly fired at group on Logan Square sidewalk. If this is what triggered their policy, it's profoundly stupid. The driver had a CHL. He saw the perp firing a gun into a crowd, and he engaged him and took him down. Uber reacts by disarming him? I guarantee you that guy will never drive for Uber again, and other drivers will leave as well.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

TheDude

Post by TheDude »

baldeagle wrote:ELB didn't notice this thread and started a new one. He put this link in it: Uber driver shoots man who allegedly fired at group on Logan Square sidewalk. If this is what triggered their policy, it's profoundly stupid. The driver had a CHL. He saw the perp firing a gun into a crowd, and he engaged him and took him down. Uber reacts by disarming him? I guarantee you that guy will never drive for Uber again, and other drivers will leave as well.
That's what triggered it. Some drivers will probably leave over the principal of it but some will just ignore it and keep carrying. There is no way for them to know unless you have to use your firearm. Then all they can really do is ban you from using their app to pick up passengers. I don't see how you could face any major legal problems. You are driving your own car. Is your car considered Uber property when you are logged into the app?

If my wife drives for them again she will be armed. I am not too concerned about her losing her job she uses to get shoe shopping money. If anyone thinks she could get into more serious trouble I would love to know. If its just losing her ability to drive for them then I am not too concerned. Her life is more important than that.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Will the cars be posted with a compliant 30.06 sign?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

From the article: "We have adopted a no-firearms policy to ensure that both riders and drivers feel safe and comfortable on the platform,"

Being safe doesn't matter. All that matters is that one feels safe.
III

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

rbwhatever1 wrote:From the article: "We have adopted a no-firearms policy to ensure that both riders and drivers feel safe and comfortable on the platform,"

Being safe doesn't matter. All that matters is that one feels safe.
Good catch. They ought to add to their drivers,
Some Moron wrote:"We want our passengers you are picking up to feel safe in knowing that you are defenseless, therefor pose no threat to them if they want to violate, beat, rob, or kill you. Remember, the customer is always right! Drive "Feeling" safe!"
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

rentz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rentz »

no idea how they can actually enforce this in every state as every state has different laws, and would a 30:06 sign be required for an uber car given that its a mobile business I would assume so.

oh well, likely was never going to use uber anyway

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

TheDude wrote:
baldeagle wrote:ELB didn't notice this thread and started a new one. He put this link in it: Uber driver shoots man who allegedly fired at group on Logan Square sidewalk. If this is what triggered their policy, it's profoundly stupid. The driver had a CHL. He saw the perp firing a gun into a crowd, and he engaged him and took him down. Uber reacts by disarming him? I guarantee you that guy will never drive for Uber again, and other drivers will leave as well.
That's what triggered it.
Then that ranks as the most profoundly stupid decision a business has ever made.

Return to “Off-Topic”