Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts

Post by VMI77 »

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/win ... -contacts/
Starting today, Microsoft is offering most Windows 7 and Windows 8 users a free upgrade to the software giant’s latest operating system — Windows 10. But there’s a very important security caveat that users should know about before transitioning to the new OS: Unless you opt out, Windows 10 will by default prompt to you share access to WiFi networks to which you connect with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends.

msoptoutThis brilliant new feature, which Microsoft has dubbed Wi-Fi Sense, doesn’t share your WiFi network password per se — it shares an encrypted version of that password. But it does allow anyone in your Skype or Outlook or Hotmail contacts lists to waltz onto your Wi-Fi network — should they ever wander within range of it or visit your home (or hop onto it secretly from hundreds of yards away with a good ‘ole cantenna!).
Less of a problem than it sounds in this quote, but if you're installing Win 10 you might want to read the details in the article.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

PBR
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts

Post by PBR »

i thought about installing it -- then 10 seconds later was like what the heck are you thinking of doing, then moved on -- might give it a try in couple months once major bugs and issues get worked out
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by suthdj »

I installed last night it gives you the option of sharing just pay attention to the setup questions
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

It does not allow access into your computers, just simply allows those folks you choose to use your internet connection.

No different than letting them have the password to your router...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Installed 10. It sort of almost did it itself.

Seems very familiar to 7.

So,sofar so good.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Running 8.1.whatever now and thought about doing the free upgrade. I did a little reading and decided I didn't need it. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise, I'll just stay with what I've got.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

loktite

Post by loktite »

I would absolutely recommend upgrading to 10... just don't rush to do it. Wait 3-6 months for patches (unless of course you are gung-ho about it now) . You will want to upgrade to it for the increased support lifecycle given (Plus it's a free upgrade). I'll wager some serious money you won't see another free upgrade on major windows version in the next 10-15 years.
NRA Endowment Member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

suthdj wrote:I installed last night it gives you the option of sharing just pay attention to the setup questions
:iagree:

It is not automatic, it's just default and opt out, pay attention and don't just accept the defaults.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

I will not be installing Windows 10 ever. Windows 10 is a key/data logger that lets Microsoft know absolutely everything that you ever do with your computer. They will be able to market this information to everyone including the government. It is the gateway to moving over to "Windows" which will no longer have any numbered versions because it will be a monthly subscription service. I'm going to start checking out Linux as an alternate operating system.

If you have the Windows 10 nagware (you will if you automatically update) on your computer, you can remove it by uninstalling Update KB3035583 and keep it from returning by updating manually going forward.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

misterlarry wrote:I will not be installing Windows 10 ever. Windows 10 is a key/data logger that lets Microsoft know absolutely everything that you ever do with your computer. They will be able to market this information to everyone including the government. It is the gateway to moving over to "Windows" which will no longer have any numbered versions because it will be a monthly subscription service. I'm going to start checking out Linux as an alternate operating system.

If you have the Windows 10 nagware (you will if you automatically update) on your computer, you can remove it by uninstalling Update KB3035583 and keep it from returning by updating manually going forward.
I absolutely loathe Windows 8 and was hoping 10 might be an improvement.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

According to this article the keylogger story has been exaggerated.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/does-windo ... poiler-no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am concerned about Windows going to a subscription.

They are already doing this for their office products.

That is one reason I won't buy a computer "pad" that doesn't have a hard drive and USB port.
NRA Endowment Member

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

As a consequence of being encouraged by someone on this Forum, a while back, I finally downloaded Ubuntu on a bootable USB drive and tried it on my 8.1 machine. It is great! The biggest hurdle was just doing it - once the decision was made, everything fell into place. It works like a charm and I will probably completely migrate to it from 8.1, unless it turns out that some piece of software I really need will not run in Linux, only windows.

The 8.1 machine has only nagged me once to install Windows 10. I've finally got 8.1 where I can use it, do not want 10, don't know whether it is / has a keylogger or not but the whole "windows" thing has gotten too intrusive - and there are too many Linux flavors available to stick with microsoft. If an old guy like me - a wrench-twister, not a computer guy - can do it, anyone can.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

loktite wrote:I would absolutely recommend upgrading to 10... just don't rush to do it. Wait 3-6 months for patches (unless of course you are gung-ho about it now) . You will want to upgrade to it for the increased support lifecycle given (Plus it's a free upgrade). I'll wager some serious money you won't see another free upgrade on major windows version in the next 10-15 years.
Free - good, but what do I gain from 10? I don't see that I'm missing out on anything without 10 at this point.

I may be an outlier when it comes to stuff like this. My last laptop was purchased brand new with Vista and I ran that for almost 8 years without any major issues and very few minor ones that I was able to resolve myself. My new laptop came with 8.1 and I've had it for almost a year now without any issues. I have more complaints about Office 2013 than the OS.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

misterlarry wrote:I will not be installing Windows 10 ever. Windows 10 is a key/data logger that lets Microsoft know absolutely everything that you ever do with your computer. They will be able to market this information to everyone including the government. It is the gateway to moving over to "Windows" which will no longer have any numbered versions because it will be a monthly subscription service. I'm going to start checking out Linux as an alternate operating system.

The HD on wife's MSI laptop crashed. I replaced it but couldnt reload Windows 7 from the MS website - it stated that though my code for Windows 7 Professional & Office was valid, I had to download Windows 7 home edition from the MSI site. :mad5

Went to the MSI site and learned that it no longer supported my laptop. :mad5 :mad5 and I was out of luck.

Ive hated MS for years & decided that this was the last straw. I was faced with being extorted by MS once again, or taking the Linux plunge, I plunged! Best thing I could have done.

I downloaded Ubuntu 14.4 & Open Office...and although my dear wife is smart.....she aint real close to being a puter nerd. :biggrinjester: but she had very little problems making the change. (Ubuntu reminds me of Windows 3)

When my laptop fails, I intend to give MS the boot & go all Linux.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Return to “Off-Topic”