Best Truck?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Which truck should I get as a daily driver?

Ford F-150
32%
Ram 1500
12%
Chevy Silverado
20%
Nissan Titan
2%
Toyota Tundra
24%
Other (specify in comments)
10%

Total votes: 50

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Best Truck?

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

So I am thinking of selling my car and getting a full-size truck. I won't have much occasion, if any, to give it heavy duty action; it will be mostly a daily driver, while hauling the occasion large object. It has to seat five. What are your thoughts about the major makes?

Abraham

Re: Best Truck?

Post by Abraham »

Of course, I voted Tundra.

It's a crew cab type body seats five quite comfortably.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

I didn't vote. After looking at prices of a suitable replacements I elected to stay with my rusty 99 Silverado.
N5PNZ

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

Best daily driver truck I've run into is the Ram 1500 with the ecodiesel. Darn near 30mpg highway and it'll still tow 9k lbs...

Thread needs retitle to "best daily driver 1/2 ton pickup"...

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Are you looking at buying a NEW truck? Or are you looking at buying a used truck?
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Knowing how many miles you drive per year and how many years you intend to keep it would help a lot.

My '95 Dodge Cummins has 576k miles on it, still gets 21-22 mpg, looks like trash, but still gets me to work and to the range. But if you don't keep vehicles until they are worn out, such a thing would be entirely unsuitable for you.

GM is putting a MV 4 cyl diesel in the Colorado in 2016, and rumor has it that Nissan is putting a Cummins 5.0L V8 in the Titan and a Cummins 2.8L in the Frontier, but no introduction dates.

My friend at work has a RAM 1500 Ecodiesel like cb1000rider suggests, and he loves it! Great mileage, more performance than he's used to (from his '08 RAM 2500 Cummins), and it still hauls whatever he wants to haul.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

IMO I would go with the Chevy 2500 or ford f250 Diesel. Both are reliable and nice looking trucks. I feel your limiting yourself staying in the 1/2 ton range.

BulldogBorders

Post by BulldogBorders »

I've owned many trucks and worked for several dealer groups. Best truck I ever had was my 2005 F-150.
NRA Benefactor Life Member - Join the NRA
http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp ... d=XR019416

rentz

Post by rentz »

if MPG isnt a concern i'd say Tundra....if it is, the tundra has awful mpg compared to others so i'd look elsewhere possibly the new f150s with ecoboost
one thing to throw out there, if you wont do much heavy hauling have you considered a tacoma?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

All are fine trucks and one might get a gem or a lemon with either. That is largely luck of the draw. I have a 2005 Titan and a 2008 Versa and am at this time decidedly unhappy with Nissan. Not with my vehicles themselves. We are happy with our choices and when functioning they have been good. They have also been functioning most of the time.

However, over the years, IMO, too many major things have gone wrong that the dealership has said they've never seen before. Each thing with far too few miles that I would think for whatever the problem. My latest complaint is having to replace a CVT transmission on the Versa at less than 140k miles. Because of this and other issues with the Titan I've been finding out that things like this that had 5-year/60k mile warranties when new only get 12-month/12k mile warranties when replaced with a new part. I was hoping for at least half for something as major as a transmission or anything part of the drive train that gets the biggest warrant in the first place. If this sort of thing is the norm for all manufacturers then I guess I'm SOL, but it is something I'll be checking into with our next vehicle(s).

Also possibly the average mileage different major parts get replaced if such a stat can be found.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rotor

Post by rotor »

Ford has always been my choice. The only question I have for 2015 will be the durability of them going with the aluminum body vs the previous steel body. My 1997 F150 4x4 goes through just about anything and still runs and looks great. Also, and this is really important, has great air conditioning.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Ford is my choice. Last year I traded in my 07 F150 with 370,000 miles for a F250. If I get as many miles out of it I will be happy.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

afraid that the F150 will be a runaway...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Anything NOT "Found On the Road Dead."

All of my dealings with Ford dealers post purchase have been unsatisfactory and I will never buy another.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “Off-Topic”