Nerdy 14 year old brings homemade clock to school and is arrested

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

lfinsr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Nerdy 14 year old brings homemade clock to school and is arrested

Post by lfinsr »

A foundation has offered to pay for Ahmed's high school and college in Qatar.
I'm guessing there wouldn't be any problem getting a collection together for a one-way ticket for the entire family either.
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 30

Post by philip964 »

philip964 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/texas-teens-clock ... 43479.html

He's got is clock back. The police have released the clock. Now he can move to Qatar.

Its also stopped raining for the moment in Houston. Can you tell its a slow news day?
Nope it is still raining.

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

philip964 wrote:
philip964 wrote: Its also stopped raining for the moment in Houston. Can you tell its a slow news day?
Nope it is still raining.
Is it ever. Our pool got topped off yesterday. I pumped some out and it's on the way to get topped off again today. :shock:
J.R.

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

EEllis wrote:I haven't seen a pic of the clock. Is it possible that the kid made a "Bomb" clock? We have all seen those novelty clocks and I wouldn't be shocked if a 14yo kid just didn't think it through and made something similar as a joke. I would expect the press to mention it if so, but considering that would mean there was no story, the fact that the clock really does look, and was designed to look, like a bomb might just be left out. Why report the truth when you can make people look stupid and racist.
Why report the truth when you can make people look stupid and racist.
In this case, the media didn't have to make anyone “look stupid and racist”. The school and police did a good job of that by themselves, and people have been jumping on that bandwagon every since.

It has now become a competition as to who can look the most stupid and racist.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 21

Post by EEllis »

VoiceofReason wrote:
EEllis wrote:Why report the truth when you can make people look stupid and racist.
In this case, the media didn't have to make anyone “look stupid and racist”. The school and police did a good job of that by themselves, and people have been jumping on that bandwagon every since.

It has now become a competition as to who can look the most stupid and racist.
I disagree. It's more about the reporting, reporting absurd claims like they have the same value as credible statements. It gives people who are desperate to be outraged something to crow about real or not.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

I am amazed this thread is still going on. I stopped reading it as soon it he was exposed as a fake and the clock he "built" was a disassembled manufactured digital alarm clock made to look like something it wasn't. I saw the new posts today so I peered in. Gone for good this time.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

SA_Steve
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SA_Steve »

news folks are still referring to the clock he "built"

you'd think by now they would all know the truth
You may have the last word.

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LSUTiger »

LSUTiger wrote:The response, while not surprising, was totally unjustified. Clearly no one involved, other than the engineering teacher and the student knows spit from shinola.

The whole incident is just ridiculous.

"He showed it to his engineering teacher first thing Monday morning and didn’t get quite the reaction he’d hoped for.

“He was like, ‘That’s really nice,’” Ahmed said. “‘I would advise you not to show any other teachers.’”"

Sounds like the engineering teacher could have easily cleared this up and avoided the whole incident.

A clock circuit board is hardly a bomb. A $10 alarm clock from Wal-Mart could be used as a timing device for a bomb. So because I have an alarm clock, I have a bomb making component?

I'm sure an Iphone could be used as a timing or GPS location device for a bomb. Absent, explosives, trigger devices or other obvious configuration to make it into or look like a bomb then what's the big deal?

I'm sure if these dumb dumb cops took apart the laptops in their cruisers they would find circuit boards that look very similar. So if you own a laptop, do you have bomb making components? Or a hoax bomb?

Everyday most of us carry sufficient electronic devices to use as a bomb making component.

In my profession, I've hand carried more sophisticated pieces of electronics and other hardware to job sites that could be mistaken for a bomb in my carry on or checked in luggage and have made through the TSA and multiple international check points with out a problem.

People are losing their darn minds. This is slippery slope stuff if it goes any further than an over reaction.
I have to admit I feel like a darned fool for falling for this stuff. :oops:
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

VMI77
Posts in topic: 22

Post by VMI77 »

SA_Steve wrote:news folks are still referring to the clock he "built"

you'd think by now they would all know the truth
"News" folks? I wasn't aware news folks still existed in the US. It's been years since I've seen any. Those propagandists and advertisers claiming to provide "news" don't care about the truth of anything unless it serves their agenda.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 30

Post by philip964 »

Clock Boy is in the news with the release of internal police emails.

Chronicle story is so buggy I'm not going to show the link.

Near as I can tell VICE media outlet, who I can't find, made a freedom of information request.

Apparently the police force was being self critical after the arrest saying things like "we have made him into a hero" and "that doesn't look like a bomb".

Hopefully someone else will write the story without so much bad script.

EDIT here is the link not having trouble with it now. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 620429.php

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Host Ed Wallace denied the officer's critiques. He wrote, "for it to be a bomb, it would have to be wired to a block of C4, dynamite, or even a pipe with explosives inside. None of which exists in Ahmed's circuit board. And that is the true stupidity of all this. Of course the police also knew this immediately and still arrested the kid. Therein lies the problem." (emphasis mine)
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

And now "'Clock Kid' Ahmed Mohamed, family suing Texas city, school for $15 million":

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/23/ah ... cmp=hplnws

WHat a scam artist! :rules:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

C'mon... Who did not see this coming??? Given past activism in the family, huge press coverage and then moving out of country, it can only be expected that the family via someone acting as their proxy would file such a suit.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

bigity

Post by bigity »

Wasn't the lawsuit the point of the entire staged deal?
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

There is the headline on Google news, he wants $15,000,000 and a written excuse.
Why wasn't he fined and expelled from school for failure to disclose before hand and the apparent provocation?

http://national.suntimes.com/national-w ... apologies/
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Return to “Off-Topic”