a CHL does not mean you're Clint Eastwood

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ron_houston
Posts in topic: 4

a CHL does not mean you're Clint Eastwood

Post by ron_houston »

I consider myself extremely fortunate that in 14 years of carry in Texas that I never once pulled my weapon.
There were a couple of times where I could have and once where I should have, but I was able to solve the problem without pulling my handgun.
Isn't that the ultimate goal of all of us?
I was confronted by 3 drunks at a service station on I-10 east one morning at 5:30 and punched for no reason breaking my nose. My initial reaction was to punch him back, which knocked him to the ground. I was wearing a dress shirt, not tucked in, and a belt-slide with a 92f. As he went down, I immediately put my hand on my weapon. I knew, in that instant, that I was not going to be killed by 3 drunks. I knew in that instant that if they came at me I would shoot. I told the two men trying to help the guy I hit get up "do not let him get up. If he gets up I will hurt him very badly". I said it in a very strong voice. I knew I had a free pass on this one. There were several witnesses standing there that saw the whole thing. There was a video camera pointed right at us. I repeated it twice more, each time raising my voice. I said "it's over, he hit me and I hit him. Now I'm going to walk to my car and leave, which I did but never turning my back to them. I drove off thinking "well, I guess "dispute resolution" really works.
The other time was less severe. I was riding my Harley down Almeda-Genoa and a drunk ran a stop sign and pulled out in front of me. Just to let him know I was there, I gave him a short toot with my horn. At the light at Monroe he pulls up next to me and rolls down his window and yells "what if I get out and just whip your butt?" I very casually looked over at him and unbuttoned my vest and said in a calm voice "what if I pull out the biggest gun you've ever seen and shoot you?" at which point, he turned right and sped off...again, problem solved.
It is not always about just throwing rounds down range.
Think before you act.
Just my opinion folks.

Glockster
Posts in topic: 3

Re: a CHL does not mean you're Clint Eastwood

Post by Glockster »

ron_houston wrote:I consider myself extremely fortunate that in 14 years of carry in Texas that I never once pulled my weapon.
There were a couple of times where I could have and once where I should have, but I was able to solve the problem without pulling my handgun.
I was confronted by 3 drunks at a service station on I-10 east one morning at 5:30 and punched for no reason breaking my nose. My initial reaction was to punch him back, which knocked him to the ground. I was wearing a dress shirt, not tucked in, and a belt-slide with a 92f. As he went down, I immediately put my hand on my weapon. I knew, in that instant, that I was not going to be killed by 3 drunks. I knew in that instant that if they came at me I would shoot. I told the two men trying to help the guy I hit get up "do not let him get up. If he gets up I will hurt him very badly". I said it in a very strong voice. I knew I had a free pass on this one. There were several witnesses standing there that saw the whole thing. There was a video camera pointed right at us. I repeated it twice more, each time raising my voice. I said "it's over, he hit me and I hit him. Now I'm going to walk to my car and leave, which I did but never turning my back to them. I drove off thinking "well, I guess "dispute resolution" really works.
The other time was less severe. I was riding my Harley down Almeda-Genoa and a drunk ran a stop sign and pulled out in front of me. Just to let him know I was there, I gave him a short toot with my horn. At the light at Monroe he pulls up next to me and rolls down his window and yells "what if I get out and just whip your butt?" I very casually looked over at him and unbuttoned my vest and said in a calm voice "what if I pull out the biggest gun you've ever seen and shoot you?" at which point, he turned right and sped off...again, problem solved.
Think before you act.
Just my opinion folks.
Thankfully both of those situations turned out okay for you. Opposed to three drunks swearing out an assault complaint against you only to find out the the gas station camera wasn't actually working, but the other witnesses DID hear you threaten the guy but didn't see him punch you and did see you punch him. Or opposed to the the drunk running the stop sign not actually being drunk, then calling in a BWAG (biker with a gun, which is probably one rung up from MWAG) who threatened him for no reason. I'm simply suggesting that I myself wanting to ensure that I didn't put myself in the position where someone could make claims that I initiated the situation then only to pull my weapon when I felt like I wasn't "winning." Just saying. :tiphat:
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

This bursts my bubble.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Javier730 »

Glockster wrote:
ron_houston wrote:I consider myself extremely fortunate that in 14 years of carry in Texas that I never once pulled my weapon.
Think before you act.
Just my opinion folks.
Thankfully both of those situations turned out okay for you. Opposed to three drunks swearing out an assault complaint against you only to find out the the gas station camera wasn't actually working, but the other witnesses DID hear you threaten the guy but didn't see him punch you and did see you punch him. Or opposed to the the drunk running the stop sign not actually being drunk, then calling in a BWAG (biker with a gun, which is probably one rung up from MWAG) who threatened him for no reason. I'm simply suggesting that I myself wanting to ensure that I didn't put myself in the position where someone could make claims that I initiated the situation then only to pull my weapon when I felt like I wasn't "winning." Just saying. :tiphat:
:iagree:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Wall »

AndyC wrote:The common saying here is 'a CHL isn't a Batman license" - welcome aboard.
I don't remember Batman ever using a firearm. Guess I'll have to go and watch the movies again. :lol:

Glockster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Glockster »

mojo84 wrote:This bursts my bubble.
Not mine. I'm okay not being Clint Eastwood. Not being Dirty Harry...entirely different concern. :fire
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I live by the theory, I would much rather scare you into submission rather then shoot you into submission.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Glockster wrote:
Not mine. I'm okay not being Clint Eastwood. Not being Dirty Harry...entirely different concern. :fire
Good point Callaghan. ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

"rlol" "rlol" "rlol" :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

And here I SO thought I was Clint. :lol:

To the OP: When challenged by someone with "what if I get out and just whip your butt", what if you don't say or show anything, and just wait to see what he does next, Grasshoppah? No insult intended, but frankly, your response to the second situation had Batman smell all over it. Glad you got out of both situations OK though, without anything worse than a sore nose.

I must be livin' right. I haven't carried as long as you have (got my plastic in early 2008), but in that time I've yet to be attacked or threatened for any reason whatsoever. I did have someone honk his horn at me a few days ago because I had the temerity to slow down for a legal left turn, which impeded his lap times somewhat, but that's about it. I think once, a few years ago, I got approached by a panhandler in a gas station around 9:30 or 10:00 at night, and I shut him down with an upraised hand and a purposeful "not interested!" while he was still 15 ft away or so, but other than that, nobody seems to give me any trouble.

Must be my saintly and wise appearance and kindly demeanor.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Taypo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I did have someone honk his horn at me a few days ago because I had the temerity to slow down for a legal left turn, which impeded his lap times somewhat
"rlol"

Spilled a little coffee on that one.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Must be my saintly and wise appearance and kindly demeanor.[/quote]

hahaha, now that really is funny. I've heard that one myself for many moon. "rlol" :cheers2:

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The Annoyed Man wrote:And here I SO thought I was Clint. :lol:
I understand that you are getting more Clint-like every day, you big svelte bearded wonder you. :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Post by troglodyte »

"do not let him get up. If he gets up I will hurt him very badly"
"what if I pull out the biggest gun you've ever seen and shoot you?"
"well, I guess "dispute resolution" really works
I guess I teach dispute resolution a little differently. Glad it worked out for you.

Return to “Off-Topic”