Can you have guns in home with a felon?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bliss79
Posts in topic: 2

Can you have guns in home with a felon?

Post by bliss79 »

My younger sibling has recently been released from jail and will be living with my mom. The sibling has two (non violent) felonies on their record now. Can my mom still have firearms in her house?
"Pray hard and shoot straight." -- Dustin Ellerman

chuck j

Re: Can you have guns in home with a felon?

Post by chuck j »

To the best of my knowledge you may have a firearm but they must not have access to it (locked up ) .

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

chuck j wrote:To the best of my knowledge you may have a firearm but they must not have access to it (locked up ) .
This is essentially the technically correct answer. I would want to make sure that you (actually your mom, I guess) can straightforwardly show or prove that the person with the felony does not have access, and that "constructive possession" is not an issue.

Frankly, if I were your mom, I would consult a criminal defense attorney about how to do this. Cheaper and less hassle than consulting after, for example, a parole officer or some other officer learns your mom keeps a .38 revolver for protection, maybe in her nightstand, and alleges that your sibling therefore has possession of it (and your mom ends up charged for providing it).
USAF 1982-2005

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Been down that road . Tend to your own business ................they will tend to their own . Do not suffer remorse if you have done what you should or could . Cut em loose . You can't be responsible for anthers decisions . With GOD' grace hope they figure it out , DO NOT ENABLE them . You will provide them a great injustice .

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

Hypothetical: Wayward son / daughter makes bad decisions, ends up in prison for a long stint. He/she gets out, and we choose to spend time with them, i.e. travel, vacation, etc.

Can we CC with them around? Or, does their presence preclude doing so? What about sharing a hotel room and dis-arming at bedtime?

Alot to think/ponder/worry about....
Chuckybrown

Topic author
bliss79

Post by bliss79 »

Thank you all for your input. Glad its not my house and not my headache, but the info is a good start for me to pass on to her.
"Pray hard and shoot straight." -- Dustin Ellerman

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Long, short answer--In most cases as long as they do not have direct access then it is okay. A caveat to that is it depends on the parole officer. Some don't care as long as they cannot get to it, others say not at all. The best suggestion for everyone's sake is to talk to their PO about it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

A: Talk to the PO.nothing we say matters.
B: Likely as long as it is carried on person or locked up, it will not be an issue
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

You can have anything you want. Now if it might cause an issue for the felon is a different issue.

HKsig

Post by HKsig »

I have a nephew living with me and my sis (his mom) and he got a 3rd DUI offense which is a 3rd degree felony. He's going through conditions set by the court which is taking Antibuse and blowing into the analizer 3x a day. I don't know if that will keep him from a felony conviction after this but I'm not giving up my guns so as far as I'm concerned they can lock him up.

Return to “Off-Topic”