Computers, Internet, Dating and more!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Computers, Internet, Dating and more!

Post by Jusme »

Distinguished Rick wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Distinguished Rick wrote:Censorship in any form is bad. Period. It would never stop at the internet. Crack the door open and it will lead to more than just censorship.
No one can censor the internet, unless you shut down the internet. It was designed to be non-defeated system.
While I do not profress a college degree in computer science I do have 2 sons who work for Dell. Also, having a military background and worked with computer systems throughout the world my knowledge says differently. I've worked at places overseas in Afghanistan that anything to do with weapons and so on was blocked. If you think for a second that the internet can't be censored your living in a make believe world. The "child block" on TV's and your computer are a form of censorship. Parents censor what their kids can and can't see or watch, well at least the ones who care do.
You may be correct that wireless communication can be blocked I have no doubt that the technology exits because China does that, however in the country we have the right of free speech and that means the right of " free hearing" or "free seeing" As parents we can choose to "censor" what our children see,hear,or read but as adults we are free to censor ourselves. The point being, do we want our government to act as our parents? Our ability to self govern depends on our government to be as transparent as possible while preserving individual rights of free speech. We cannot allow the government to become so powerful that they get to decide what information we are capable of disseminating.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Distinguished Rick
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Distinguished Rick »

Jusme wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Distinguished Rick wrote:Censorship in any form is bad. Period. It would never stop at the internet. Crack the door open and it will lead to more than just censorship.
No one can censor the internet, unless you shut down the internet. It was designed to be non-defeated system.
While I do not profress a college degree in computer science I do have 2 sons who work for Dell. Also, having a military background and worked with computer systems throughout the world my knowledge says differently. I've worked at places overseas in Afghanistan that anything to do with weapons and so on was blocked. If you think for a second that the internet can't be censored your living in a make believe world. The "child block" on TV's and your computer are a form of censorship. Parents censor what their kids can and can't see or watch, well at least the ones who care do.
You may be correct that wireless communication can be blocked I have no doubt that the technology exits because China does that, however in the country we have the right of free speech and that means the right of " free hearing" or "free seeing" As parents we can choose to "censor" what our children see,hear,or read but as adults we are free to censor ourselves. The point being, do we want our government to act as our parents? Our ability to self govern depends on our government to be as transparent as possible while preserving individual rights of free speech. We cannot allow the government to become so powerful that they get to decide what information we are capable of disseminating.
I'm aware of what rights we have in this country. I was a Marine for 11 years and a military contractor in Iraq for 7 years and in Afghanistan for 3 more years. Your preaching to the choir.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

Jusme wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
I'm aware of what rights we have in this country. I was a Marine for 11 years and a military contractor in Iraq for 7 years and in Afghanistan for 3 more years. Your preaching to the choir.
While you're right that things certainly can be blocked, as they are in China, there are also ways around the blocks....for those with sufficient knowledge. For instance getting around various corporate blocks and blocks on things like weapons sites is relatively trivial. Yes, it will be effective against most people....maybe 98%...but completely blocking the internet would require every country in the world to cooperate. For the censors, just blocking out 90% of the US population may well be enough to achieve their purposes.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “Off-Topic”