Allowance

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Allowance

Post by Keith B »

I think this is the problem with kids and many liberals today, too many think the 75¢ rule should apply to them.

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Allowance

Post by Jusme »

Unfortunately there is such a feeling of entitlement for just occupying space and transforming oxygen to carbon dioxide, among those who never had to do anything to be given everything, continually perpetuated by the current leadership, that our future is in question. I only hope that those raised by we that know better can stem the tide.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

My rules:

work around the house is the kids duty and contribution to the family therefore NO pay.

Kids do dishes, laundry, clean kitchen, mow lawn. For these I expect them to do it because I tell them to do it & for them to pull their own weight. I've paid them for car washes, when they are young, less than 13yrs old.

Cash is earned from a job. My son is cutting lawns in the neighborhood for 4 houses. He started last summer and earned $1000+ last summer.

I've told aunts, uncles, and grandparents that any cash they give the kids will be returned. My son is so proud that he bought his own PS4 last year. I've bought him a couple games as a reward for working. This has started to make his older sister jealous now she plans to get a summer job. She's 16.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Texas_Blaze wrote:My rules:

work around the house is the kids duty and contribution to the family therefore NO pay.

Kids do dishes, laundry, clean kitchen, mow lawn. For these I expect them to do it because I tell them to do it & for them to pull their own weight. I've paid them for car washes, when they are young, less than 13yrs old.

Cash is earned from a job. My son is cutting lawns in the neighborhood for 4 houses. He started last summer and earned $1000+ last summer.

I've told aunts, uncles, and grandparents that any cash they give the kids will be returned. My son is so proud that he bought his own PS4 last year. I've bought him a couple games as a reward for working. This has started to make his older sister jealous now she plans to get a summer job. She's 16.
:iagree:, It either starts in the home or it doesn't. Good Job! :clapping:

jamminbutter

Post by jamminbutter »

As Dave Ramsey and Rachel Ramsey-Cruz put it...commission for working and no allowance for doing nothing.

chuck j
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chuck j »

Good post , I agree .

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Funny story, when my kids were around 8 and 12 yo my daughter who the oldest offered to pull the weeds in the backyard for a dollar a weed, after some serious corporate negotiations, they agreed to a quarter a weed and they had to get the root or it didn't count, I figured after an hour they'd get tired and I'd be out maybe $10, well when they finally quit I ended up owing them $60, their mother asked if I was going to pay them, I told her I most certainly was because they were diligent and industrious and that deserved a reward!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

crazy2medic wrote:Funny story, when my kids were around 8 and 12 yo my daughter who the oldest offered to pull the weeds in the backyard for a dollar a weed, after some serious corporate negotiations, they agreed to a quarter a weed and they had to get the root or it didn't count, I figured after an hour they'd get tired and I'd be out maybe $10, well when they finally quit I ended up owing them $60, their mother asked if I was going to pay them, I told her I most certainly was because they were diligent and industrious and that deserved a reward!
You got any more weeds that need pulling?? :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

loktite

Post by loktite »

Man, I got $1 for a 50 lb feed sack full of weeds.
NRA Endowment Member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

One of my best friends was a couple with 3 teenage kids, 2 boys and a girl. I think they were about 14,16 and 17, respectively.

They had a lot of fun together as a family - I used to take them fishing on my boat, and we played tennis and did the backyard hamburger thing, all that. They really weren't strict or overbearing, but they DID have some structure, and that structure was solid as concrete. For example, NO video games or TV until homework was done. Period. Never. Ever. They had a daily schedule taped to the refrigerator door for doing various household chores such as helping with the dishes, mopping, laundry, mowing, dog walking, vacuuming, cleaning the car, etc. and were checked off when they did it. They got $X on Friday for each checkmark. No checks, no moola. Period. Never. Ever. If they got a check all 7 days, they got a "bonus" amount, but only if they got 7 checks.

What happened to these kids? The two boys were in gifted and talented programs and went on to study engineering and law. The girl became a Plan II Honors student at UT, with a double major in Applied Mathematics and Neurobiology, and got a full scholarship to a prestigious medical school. She's now a neurosurgery resident.

So there ya' go.... :cheers2:
-Ruark

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Ruark wrote:One of my best friends was a couple with 3 teenage kids, 2 boys and a girl. I think they were about 14,16 and 17, respectively.

They had a lot of fun together as a family - I used to take them fishing on my boat, and we played tennis and did the backyard hamburger thing, all that. They really weren't strict or overbearing, but they DID have some structure, and that structure was solid as concrete. For example, NO video games or TV until homework was done. Period. Never. Ever. They had a daily schedule taped to the refrigerator door for doing various household chores such as helping with the dishes, mopping, laundry, mowing, dog walking, vacuuming, cleaning the car, etc. and were checked off when they did it. They got $X on Friday for each checkmark. No checks, no moola. Period. Never. Ever. If they got a check all 7 days, they got a "bonus" amount, but only if they got 7 checks.

What happened to these kids? The two boys were in gifted and talented programs and went on to study engineering and law. The girl became a Plan II Honors student at UT, with a double major in Applied Mathematics and Neurobiology, and got a full scholarship to a prestigious medical school. She's now a neurosurgery resident. So there ya' go.... :cheers2:
That is an admirable value system that is to be congratulated. I wish more parents would do the same.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

chuck j
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chuck j »

Teach your kids/grand kids everything you know . There is no where else they will learn . My daughter has always been expected to work . Kids can do so much more if not sheltered . I'm a firm believer in ;

........................Don't prepare the path for the child . Prepare the child for the path ................................

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

These days too many parents are trying to be their children's best friend, not parents.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

aggie67

Post by aggie67 »

My children all had household jobs and as soon as they could see over the steering wheel of a tractor had jobs on the farm. All three of them worked all the time they attended College. When they started having children, I left it up to them how they would teach their children about work and responsibilities.

Now that I am a grandfather, I could "spoil" the GKs a little and it backfired once on me. I have many Hickory trees in the yard and around the house and some years you can not walk for them rolling under your feet. One of the middle grand sons was 6 or 7 and I offered him $1 per 5 gallon bucket filled with hickory nuts and delivered to the burn pile behind the barn in the red wagon. He had collected 4 buckets on the first day and the second, he had totaled 6 and then I discovered his secret. He would go up behind the barn and fill a bucket almost full, pull it to the yard and finish filling. Much easier to pick up from the pile. I explained that it was dishonest, and took his pay away. But when he was out of sight, I had to grin as it was in a way good thinking. Now when I have him stacking brush on a burn pile, I get a better than fair return on my paid wages--he is now 15 and stacking with a tractor.

android

Post by android »

That was basically our policy for my daughter, but I think the refusal of gifts from relatives is a bit extreme.

Return to “Off-Topic”