Deterrence value of cameras

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 4

Deterrence value of cameras

Post by RHenriksen »

Neighbor of mine just found this in her logs, thought it was educational:

I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Keith B

Re: Deterrence value of cameras

Post by Keith B »

Just your typical 'car hop'er. They cruise the neighborhoods hopping from car to car to see if someone left an open door. If not unlocked and nothing of value visible, they usually hop on to the next car and leave yours alone. I have had several of these on my security camera over the years.

As the signs say, Hide your valuables, Lock the Car and Take the keys. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LSUTiger »

There is a real deterrence value of cameras. I helped a friend install fake cameras at his place of business that was getting vandalized repeatedly. As soon as the "cameras" went up the vandalism stopped. (real professional camera system installed $3000, fake cameras $300)

I know it might be only ancedotal evidence but it's also true that It's hard to prove a negative that's why it's easy to say based on the minuscule number of time that it has happened that OC makes you a target more than it deters people from attacking you (which you will probably never know since nothing happened when it does deter). It may not stop crime, but rather crime against you.

I am sure thieves and vandals will not stop being thieves and vandals but rather just move on to the next target when they see the camera, for the most part, it's the same principle with OC.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Alarm company signs and window stickers can be a deterant also. Barking dogs as well.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Keith B wrote:Just your typical 'car hop'er. They cruise the neighborhoods hopping from car to car to see if someone left an open door. If not unlocked and nothing of value visible, they usually hop on to the next car and leave yours alone. I have had several of these on my security camera over the years.

As the signs say, Hide your valuables, Lock the Car and Take the keys. :thumbs2:
I've seen plenty of car hoppers in my neighborhood over the years; what's different about this video is that he didn't take the time to scan the car's contents. The second he looked up into the camera, he spun around and walked away.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RHenriksen wrote:
I've seen plenty of car hoppers in my neighborhood over the years; what's different about this video is that he didn't take the time to scan the car's contents. The second he looked up into the camera, he spun around and walked away.
Yep, have had the same thing happen. They cruise up, grab the handle then see the cam and move on quickly. Here is one of mine with a group of young kids

Keith

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

Question regarding videos like this: Is there any issue with posting something like this online? In the community I live in, multiple of us have cameras, but we had been lead to believe that posting our video if it showed teenage thieves, vandals, etc could get us in trouble. Personally, if someone's kid is stupid enough to vandalize my property, I don't quite see what leg they have to stand on, but I figured it was worth asking.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

madwildcat wrote:Question regarding videos like this: Is there any issue with posting something like this online? In the community I live in, multiple of us have cameras, but we had been lead to believe that posting our video if it showed teenage thieves, vandals, etc could get us in trouble. Personally, if someone's kid is stupid enough to vandalize my property, I don't quite see what leg they have to stand on, but I figured it was worth asking.
Not sure who you talked to, but if they are trespassing on your property then any privacy issues are out the door IMO.

I am not a lawyer, but think I am 99.9% on this.
Keith

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Not that it couldn't happen to me, but man oh man, am I glad I live in the country.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Keith B wrote:
madwildcat wrote:Question regarding videos like this: Is there any issue with posting something like this online? In the community I live in, multiple of us have cameras, but we had been lead to believe that posting our video if it showed teenage thieves, vandals, etc could get us in trouble. Personally, if someone's kid is stupid enough to vandalize my property, I don't quite see what leg they have to stand on, but I figured it was worth asking.
Not sure who you talked to, but if they are trespassing on your property then any privacy issues are out the door IMO.

I am not a lawyer, but think I am 99.9% on this.
:iagree: I'm with Keith on this. I don't know if there is a law on it, but many of my friends and neighbors post their videos all the time on "Facebook" and "Nextdoor".
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

rotor

Post by rotor »

Didn't deter the gun shop robbery in Houston but I hear that they caught a bunch of those guys, probably because of the cameras. I don't have cameras but I do have a Corgi and absolutely nothing gets by that dog.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

LSUTiger wrote:There is a real deterrence value of cameras. I helped a friend install fake cameras at his place of business that was getting vandalized repeatedly. As soon as the "cameras" went up the vandalism stopped. (real professional camera system installed $3000, fake cameras $300)

I know it might be only ancedotal evidence but it's also true that It's hard to prove a negative that's why it's easy to say based on the minuscule number of time that it has happened that OC makes you a target more than it deters people from attacking you (which you will probably never know since nothing happened when it does deter). It may not stop crime, but rather crime against you.

I am sure thieves and vandals will not stop being thieves and vandals but rather just move on to the next target when they see the camera, for the most part, it's the same principle with OC.
As a rule, fake cameras are a really very bad idea for anyone to have installed. There is much liability to be had if something really does happen. False sense of security and such ...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

switch

Post by switch »

ere is much liability to be had if something really does happen. ???? Liability? Are you going to sue yourself?

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

PBratton wrote:
As a rule, fake cameras are a really very bad idea for anyone to have installed. There is much liability to be had if something really does happen. False sense of security and such ...
Wait, what??? :headscratch
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”