Tannerite

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
2farnorth
Posts in topic: 5

Tannerite

Post by 2farnorth »

The irresponsible use of tannerite is becoming a problem in this area. Several instances of loud explosions are keeping the police/sheriff officers busy chasing down the reports. Has been occurring around ours and three other nearby towns all day today according to the 911 dispatcher. Started at 6:45 am in a town about 15 miles away. One here about 6:30 pm was enough to send me diving for cover as a I felt the concussion all over my body. It was set off about 4-500 yards east of my house in the county. My wife said the house rattled. Daughter called from a mile west of me wanting to know if we were okay. She said it rattled her house and set her dogs off. If this keeps up we will ask the county to ban it's use in the entire county. Irresponsible people just have to take things to extremes and ruin it for the rest of us. I'm to old to start going through back flashes from my small part of the VN war. Rant off... nerves getting back under control.
N5PNZ

LimaCharlie3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tannerite

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

I hear ya buddy. Some jerks set off 30 lbs of it here in Corpus Christi nearly a year ago. It was felt in nearby towns. I suspect the public hysteria prompted the police to put some scare out because it hasn't happened again in any amount. I'm somewhat surprised at that because we have a more than fair share of dumbasses in this town.

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Since you have not found the source, how do you know it is irresponsible? Are you sure it is Tannerite? What laws are being broken?

I am just over here in Blue Ridge, and the lawful use of explosives happens from time to time to clear things out on the ranch. Noise wise, it is nothing compared to my neighbor and his 200dB airplane.

Didn't hear anything over here in Blue Ridge today.

eta

Also, they test the F-35 in this area, so it could be a sonic boom. I have heard those a few times.
Last edited by Solaris on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Solaris wrote:Since you have not found the source, how do you know it is irresponsible? Are you sure it is Tannerite? What laws are being broken?

I am just over here in Blue Ridge, and the lawful use of explosives happens from time to time to clear things out on the ranch. Noise wise, it is nothing compared to my neighbor and his 200dB airplane.

Per the 911 operator and responding officers.

I am quite used to shooting from the same area and that doesn't bother me. I heard several gun shots and much smaller exploding targets go off before the big one. There was a second smaller explosion a couple of minutes after it. The big one was heard and felt all over the city of Leonard. In fact my wife came running out of the house fearing that I had been blown up.
Right now there are probably no "laws" being broken. Common sense and neighborly courtesy should eliminate the need for law. But occurrences like this today will cause new laws to be made prohibiting their "fun".
N5PNZ

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

2farnorth wrote:The irresponsible use of tannerite is becoming a problem in this area. Several instances of loud explosions are keeping the police/sheriff officers busy chasing down the reports. Has been occurring around ours and three other nearby towns all day today according to the 911 dispatcher. Started at 6:45 am in a town about 15 miles away. One here about 6:30 pm was enough to send me diving for cover as a I felt the concussion all over my body. It was set off about 4-500 yards east of my house in the county. My wife said the house rattled. Daughter called from a mile west of me wanting to know if we were okay. She said it rattled her house and set her dogs off. If this keeps up we will ask the county to ban it's use in the entire county. Irresponsible people just have to take things to extremes and ruin it for the rest of us. I'm to old to start going through back flashes from my small part of the VN war. Rant off... nerves getting back under control.
Hang in there. Maybe a few will decide to blow up old riding mowers. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... =tannerite and maybe remove themselves from the gene pool. "rlol"
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

2farnorth wrote:
Solaris wrote:Since you have not found the source, how do you know it is irresponsible? Are you sure it is Tannerite? What laws are being broken?

Per the 911 operator and responding officers.

I am quite used to shooting from the same area and that doesn't bother me. I heard several gun shots and much smaller exploding targets go off before the big one. There was a second smaller explosion a couple of minutes after it. The big one was heard and felt all over the city of Leonard. In fact my wife came running out of the house fearing that I had been blown up.
Right now there are probably no "laws" being broken. Common sense and neighborly courtesy should eliminate the need for law. But occurrences like this today will cause new laws to be made prohibiting their "fun".
Seems more like a 1 neighbor problem, and if you know it is 4-500 yards east of your house, should not be hard to ID and have a chat with him about being neighborly.

Topic author
2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

VoiceofReason wrote:
Hang in there. Maybe a few will decide to blow up old riding mowers. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... =tannerite and maybe remove themselves from the gene pool. "rlol"

That was the first thing I thought of as I picked myself up off the ground. :thumbs2:
N5PNZ

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

2farnorth wrote:
VoiceofReason wrote:

That was the first thing I thought of as I picked myself up off the ground. :thumbs2:
As it becomes more and more popular, more people will buy and play with it. A few people will get seriously injured or killed then they will outlaw it.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person. Half the people have below average IQ.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Could this be coming from the gun range on Hwy 78 just west of Leonard? Just curious. I live not too far from there, but I wasn't home today.

Topic author
2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

No. That would be Top Gun. I doubt Terry would allow anything that big over there. This came from the opposite direction off FM 272 going toward Wolfe City. All has been quiet here since the officers dropped by. They did have complaints in Bells, Whitewright, and another town not named.
N5PNZ

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm pretty sure Terry outlawed Tannerite at Top Gun. I tried to go to the website to verify the rules, but it appears to be down. http://www.topguntexas.com
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Solaris wrote:Also, they test the F-35 in this area, so it could be a sonic boom. I have heard those a few times.
Sonic booms are not allowed over CONUS. Too much liability.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

Although I understand your being annoyed, stop and ask how you'd go about addressing this 30-40 years ago. Let's do away with the "we need a law for...." Or "we need to ban.....". Neighbors dog poops on your lawn, we need a law. Musics too loud, "if we only had a new law". Talking face to face is getting to be a lost art. JMHO
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

darkmavis9

Post by darkmavis9 »

Get the deputies out to Bailey!!! I spent my childhood there, nothing good ever happened there! :lol::

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

oohrah wrote:
Solaris wrote:Also, they test the F-35 in this area, so it could be a sonic boom. I have heard those a few times.
Sonic booms are not allowed over CONUS. Too much liability.
There is a flight test corridor in Texas - Oklahoma where it happens regularly and intentionally. I hear a dozen or so a year.

Shortly after the incident officials with Lockheed Martin Aeronautics confirmed they had tested a supersonic aircraft. The flight plan of the test flight was just from Fort Worth southwest toward Brownwood, about 135 miles away.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/04/30/soni ... -counties/

The National Weather Service has confirmed 4, F-16 jets created a sonic boom as they flew over the northern part of Amarillo.

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/5442 ... sonic-boom

Wednesday's testing was along a corridor from Alliance Airport to southern Oklahoma and back, so residents along that area may have heard the jets and their booms

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Big-Bo ... 40452.html

Officials at Lockheed-Martin later confirmed that the sound was likely a sonic boom. “We were supersonic testing this morning,” said Mark Johnson, company spokesman

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/loca ... idents.ece

Return to “Off-Topic”