Emergency Food … Preparedness

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:19 am
Location: Houston

Emergency Food … Preparedness

#1

Post by Scott in Houston » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:01 am

We have a small amount of food for being shut in, but not enough.
Today's flooding in Houston has me thinking further on emergency food/water.

What do you all recommend or have for your supplies?

I'd like to order about a month's worth of food for 3 that doesn't require electricity to prepare and eat.

Any suggestions?

User avatar

CleverNickname
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#2

Post by CleverNickname » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:04 am

For a month's worth just buy canned goods and rotate through them, eating the oldest and buying new stuff to replace it. Get a camp stove to heat it if you have an electric stove in your kitchen. No need to buy anything special.


locke_n_load
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#3

Post by locke_n_load » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:11 am

CleverNickname wrote:For a month's worth just buy canned goods and rotate through them, eating the oldest and buying new stuff to replace it. Get a camp stove to heat it if you have an electric stove in your kitchen. No need to buy anything special.
That's exactly what I do. I keep a bunch of canned goods/crackers/peanut butter/etc. along with several gallons of clean water. All that stays upstairs so it doesn't accidentally get used (also don't have to move it if the bottom floor gets flooded). Our stove is gas and I have a grill, so we could cook with that for a while, but most goods are already cooked.
Also, if you expect bad weather that could amount to loss of electricity/water, fill up your bathtubs with water (hope you clean them regularly).
Also have a bunch of solar panel chargers to keep small electronics charged, as well as rechargeable batteries in all my remotes/flashlights so they can be rotated and charged. Also have adapters in cars to charge usb devices as well.

Could live off my stash for about a month.
"They that would give up Essential Liberty, for a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

EDC - Glock 26 Gen IV
CHL Holder since 10/08


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1693
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#4

Post by twomillenium » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Canned food, canned meat, MRE's (I keep 48 MRE but I use 12-18 a year and just rotate them). Chest freezer is lined with one gallon water jugs and keep 6 cases of bottled water in garage and rotate. Canned soups are good. Keep all 4 propane cylinders full. Having a water filter is good once you have attained food storage. I would try to go for 3 month supply. Remember the more people know what you have the less they will prepare for themselves because they will count on you to share.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 5083
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#5

Post by Jusme » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:30 am

locke_n_load wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:For a month's worth just buy canned goods and rotate through them, eating the oldest and buying new stuff to replace it. Get a camp stove to heat it if you have an electric stove in your kitchen. No need to buy anything special.
That's exactly what I do. I keep a bunch of canned goods/crackers/peanut butter/etc. along with several gallons of clean water. All that stays upstairs so it doesn't accidentally get used (also don't have to move it if the bottom floor gets flooded). Our stove is gas and I have a grill, so we could cook with that for a while, but most goods are already cooked.
Also, if you expect bad weather that could amount to loss of electricity/water, fill up your bathtubs with water (hope you clean them regularly).
Also have a bunch of solar panel chargers to keep small electronics charged, as well as rechargeable batteries in all my remotes/flashlights so they can be rotated and charged. Also have adapters in cars to charge usb devices as well.

Could live off my stash for about a month.

They make a bladder for the tub, that holds 100 gallons, I have one in case we lose power etc. My family knows that the first one home in a excrement/turbine collision, their job is to start filling it and other containers we keep available. I also keep several cases of water on hand. We keep enough canned goods, dry goods, beans,rice etc.. to last several weeks. and I have two camp stoves that I have adapters for running off of our propane tank for cooking. My wife says she doesn't eat squirrel, but I'll bet they start looking pretty good after we run through our meat supply in the freezer. :biggrinjester:

We don't have to worry much about flooding, we have never had water come close to our house in 40 years, but the roads are another matter. so we may be stuck for a while if they get washed out.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

Pariah3j
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm
Location: Webster

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#6

Post by Pariah3j » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:43 am

Water filter - We grabbed one for camping/backpacking but it is good for taking dirty/muddy water and making it drinkable. About the only thing the portable filters don't get is viral contaminates.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar

suthdj
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2281
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: North Ft Worth(Alliance area)

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#7

Post by suthdj » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:49 am

Dont forget hot water heater holds water and gutters can be your friends.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived


tyree
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#8

Post by tyree » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:50 am

Try looking at some some next level freeze dried solutions too. (ex: http://honeyville.com). Bulk freeze dried veggies, eggs, meat, etc. You can put together some custom "mre" style meals that actually taste great, not just "passable".

I had to live off of canned foods for a few weeks many years ago after a hurricane in the Houston area. Blocked roads, no electricity, gas stations were out of gas. I was happy to have the bare essentials and canned foods that we were prepared with, but a little more preparation would've made the experience way nicer...
Last edited by tyree on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.


howdy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: Katy

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#9

Post by howdy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:06 pm

Jusme wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:For a month's worth just buy canned goods and rotate through them, eating the oldest and buying new stuff to replace it. Get a camp stove to heat it if you have an electric stove in your kitchen. No need to buy anything special.
That's exactly what I do. I keep a bunch of canned goods/crackers/peanut butter/etc. along with several gallons of clean water. All that stays upstairs so it doesn't accidentally get used (also don't have to move it if the bottom floor gets flooded). Our stove is gas and I have a grill, so we could cook with that for a while, but most goods are already cooked.
Also, if you expect bad weather that could amount to loss of electricity/water, fill up your bathtubs with water (hope you clean them regularly).
Also have a bunch of solar panel chargers to keep small electronics charged, as well as rechargeable batteries in all my remotes/flashlights so they can be rotated and charged. Also have adapters in cars to charge usb devices as well.

Could live off my stash for about a month.

They make a bladder for the tub, that holds 100 gallons, I have one in case we lose power etc. My family knows that the first one home in a excrement/turbine collision, their job is to start filling it and other containers we keep available. I also keep several cases of water on hand. We keep enough canned goods, dry goods, beans,rice etc.. to last several weeks. and I have two camp stoves that I have adapters for running off of our propane tank for cooking. My wife says she doesn't eat squirrel, but I'll bet they start looking pretty good after we run through our meat supply in the freezer. :biggrinjester:

We don't have to worry much about flooding, we have never had water come close to our house in 40 years, but the roads are another matter. so we may be stuck for a while if they get washed out.
It is called a water bob:
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7456
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#10

Post by anygunanywhere » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:08 pm

suthdj wrote:Dont forget hot water heater holds water and gutters can be your friends.
Do not drink water collected from roofs via gutters even if filtered with a purifier. Many wood and all composition shingles leach toxic chemicals that might not be removed by filtration.
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 5083
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#11

Post by Jusme » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:08 pm

howdy wrote:
Jusme wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:For a month's worth just buy canned goods and rotate through them, eating the oldest and buying new stuff to replace it. Get a camp stove to heat it if you have an electric stove in your kitchen. No need to buy anything special.
That's exactly what I do. I keep a bunch of canned goods/crackers/peanut butter/etc. along with several gallons of clean water. All that stays upstairs so it doesn't accidentally get used (also don't have to move it if the bottom floor gets flooded). Our stove is gas and I have a grill, so we could cook with that for a while, but most goods are already cooked.
Also, if you expect bad weather that could amount to loss of electricity/water, fill up your bathtubs with water (hope you clean them regularly).
Also have a bunch of solar panel chargers to keep small electronics charged, as well as rechargeable batteries in all my remotes/flashlights so they can be rotated and charged. Also have adapters in cars to charge usb devices as well.

Could live off my stash for about a month.

They make a bladder for the tub, that holds 100 gallons, I have one in case we lose power etc. My family knows that the first one home in a excrement/turbine collision, their job is to start filling it and other containers we keep available. I also keep several cases of water on hand. We keep enough canned goods, dry goods, beans,rice etc.. to last several weeks. and I have two camp stoves that I have adapters for running off of our propane tank for cooking. My wife says she doesn't eat squirrel, but I'll bet they start looking pretty good after we run through our meat supply in the freezer. :biggrinjester:

We don't have to worry much about flooding, we have never had water come close to our house in 40 years, but the roads are another matter. so we may be stuck for a while if they get washed out.
It is called a water bob:

Yeah that's it, I had forgotten the name and got busy before I could research it. I haven't tested it, other than to take it out and look it over, but it may come in handy one day.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

suthdj
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2281
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: North Ft Worth(Alliance area)

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#12

Post by suthdj » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:17 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
suthdj wrote:Dont forget hot water heater holds water and gutters can be your friends.
Do not drink water collected from roofs via gutters even if filtered with a purifier. Many wood and all composition shingles leach toxic chemicals that might not be removed by filtration.
Good to know but there has to be a way around that.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

User avatar

Pariah3j
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm
Location: Webster

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#13

Post by Pariah3j » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:27 pm

suthdj wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
suthdj wrote:Dont forget hot water heater holds water and gutters can be your friends.
Do not drink water collected from roofs via gutters even if filtered with a purifier. Many wood and all composition shingles leach toxic chemicals that might not be removed by filtration.
Good to know but there has to be a way around that.
I'm sure with the right type of filtration system it could be removed, but not one that most are likely to afford or have for emergency situations.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar

Jago668
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#14

Post by Jago668 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:36 pm

For something like that, as others have said, canned goods will do the trick. If you pay attention to the dates on them, many are good for years 2-3 is common, 3-5 can be found. Then just rotate them. Easy to slowly build up a supply as well. Every time you go to the store buy a couple extra cans. I have rice and beans which needs cooking of course. However I also keep a good bit of canned stuff; some ingredient level stuff like corn, green beans, etc, and some ready to eat like dinty moore beef stew. Then gallons of water, and the smaller water bottles. When the water gets close to its time I use it for cooking, making hot chocolate, etc.

If you keep an eye on sales, and coupons you can stock up slowly for fairly cheap. I don't keep mine for a zombie apocalypse or anything. However you never know when some natural disaster will leave you without food, water, and/or power. Keeping a month of supplies isn't difficult. Especially if it is stuff you can use in your normal meals.
NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar

suthdj
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2281
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: North Ft Worth(Alliance area)

Re: Emergency Food … Preparedness

#15

Post by suthdj » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Pariah3j wrote:
suthdj wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
suthdj wrote:Dont forget hot water heater holds water and gutters can be your friends.
Do not drink water collected from roofs via gutters even if filtered with a purifier. Many wood and all composition shingles leach toxic chemicals that might not be removed by filtration.
Good to know but there has to be a way around that.
I'm sure with the right type of filtration system it could be removed, but not one that most are likely to afford or have for emergency situations.
Yes i just did some googling and found it is ok for things like showering an toilets but is very questionable for consumption or even gardens.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”