What ya'll say on this snake ?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Jago668
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#31

Post by Jago668 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:42 pm

Munk wrote:Broadband water snake.
Just heard back from my friend he said it was a broad banded water snake or a yellow bellied waters snake.
NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: SW Fort Worth

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#32

Post by AJSully421 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:37 am

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
AJSully421 wrote: not all venomous snakes have vertical pupils, it is dangerous to suggest that they do. Plus, some with slitted will look more round in low light. It is not a reliable way to tell, and could get someone hurt.
True. Refresh my memory; besides coral snakes, what other naturally occurring in the continental United States venomous snakes DO NOT have slitted pupils?
AJSully421 wrote: "Kill them all and let God sort them out" works for more than just terrorists.
I'm with Indiana Jones, don't like (venomous) snakes......
Just coral snakes.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor


Topic author
Kenneth77
Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:10 am

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#33

Post by Kenneth77 » Tue May 17, 2016 6:09 am

Jago668 wrote:
Munk wrote:Broadband water snake.
Just heard back from my friend he said it was a broad banded water snake or a yellow bellied waters snake.
After looking around at a lot of pics to convince my wife that it was not a bad one i think your friend is spot on or the other one i saw was a brown water snake . I have killed a cotton mouth in my back yard before so that is the main reason i was a little on the fence , i for to mention that my neighbor has a tank literally right behind is house and there is also a creek running threw my land that holds water almost year around so there could easily be one.
leeproductsonline.com

User avatar

tomtexan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1186
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Henderson County, TX

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#34

Post by tomtexan » Tue May 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Munk wrote:Broadband water snake.
As opposed to a dialup water snake? :biggrinjester:
"rlol" :lol:: :smilelol5:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

User avatar

allisji
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Seabrook

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#35

Post by allisji » Wed May 18, 2016 6:06 am

tomtexan wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Munk wrote:Broadband water snake.
As opposed to a dialup water snake? :biggrinjester:
"rlol" :lol:: :smilelol5:
You would never mistake a dial-up water snake. They are easily recognizable by the chirping and screeching sound that they make before they attempt to connect with a strike.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25639
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#36

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed May 18, 2016 4:20 pm

We saw this fellow yesterday on our walk in Parr Park in Grapevine. Pretty sure he's a cottonmouth
Image
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: SW Fort Worth

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#37

Post by AJSully421 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:55 pm

TAM, that is a regular water snake. Water Moccasins are generally stubby and fat.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25639
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#38

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed May 18, 2016 9:36 pm

AJSully421 wrote:TAM, that is a regular water snake. Water Moccasins are generally stubby and fat.
Thanks for shattering my fantasy! :smilelol5:
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.

User avatar

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 4962
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#39

Post by flintknapper » Wed May 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Yellow Bellied Water Snake.

Broad Band Water Snakes can vary widely in coloration and pattern. Could even appear to be almost a solid color… but the bands are present if you look closely.

Both snakes have the habit of flattening their heads (and bodies sometimes) to make themselves look larger. This can result in the head looking more triangular than it normally is, but a triangular head in itself…is NOT a reliable feature by which to identify.

In the Lower U.S. we have four venomous snakes (many species) that are INDIGINOUS.

1. Coral snake
2. Rattlesnakes
3. Moccasins/Cottonmouth
4. Copperheads

The last three (and all specie variations) are ‘Pit Vipers’, ALL have a distinctly triangular head with a noticeably narrower neck (even when juveniles). ALL indigenous pit vipers have an elliptical pupil of the eye.

The Coral Snake is easily distinguished from the pit vipers by its coloration alone. It does NOT have a triangular head and DOES have a round eye pupil. Its venom is neurotoxin. Of course, this snake would never be mistaken for a venomous water snake.

Water Moccasins (when mature) are noticeably ‘thick’ in build with respect to body length. They don’t have a long tapering tail like other harmless water snakes. But other water snakes do a pretty good job of mimicking a Moccasin/Cottonmouth.

The Yellow bellied Water Snake is often killed when mis-identified as a Cottonmouth. The Broadband and Diamond back water snake suffer greatly for looking like a Moccasin.

The only sure way to tell if an indigenous water snake is venomous is to note the pupil shape and/or note the scale arrangement of the bottom side of the tail AFTER the anal vent.

Venomous Water Snakes (indigenous to the U.S.) will have a single row of scales. Non-venomous (harmless) will have a double row.

Image

And yes, I know either method of identification will involve getting closer to the snake than most are willing. Just saying….these are the only two foolproof indicators, aside from being bitten.

Most snakes under most circumstances are beneficial. If there is no pressing reason, please do not kill them. Hat is off to the OP….for relocating the snake.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

User avatar

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 4962
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#40

Post by flintknapper » Wed May 18, 2016 10:44 pm

TAM your snake is a harmless water snake.

You'll know when/if you see a REAL (mature) moccasin or cottonmouth.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

User avatar

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1748
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#41

Post by VoiceofReason » Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 am

God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

User avatar

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 4962
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#42

Post by flintknapper » Fri May 20, 2016 12:16 pm

VoiceofReason wrote:You can’t cure stupid.
^^^^^^^^^

Water Moccasins can! :mrgreen:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

User avatar

threoh8
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:02 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#43

Post by threoh8 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:14 pm

While we're talking about snake ID:

Image
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: SW Fort Worth

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#44

Post by AJSully421 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:30 pm

flintknapper wrote:Yellow Bellied Water Snake.

Broad Band Water Snakes can vary widely in coloration and pattern. Could even appear to be almost a solid color… but the bands are present if you look closely.

Both snakes have the habit of flattening their heads (and bodies sometimes) to make themselves look larger. This can result in the head looking more triangular than it normally is, but a triangular head in itself…is NOT a reliable feature by which to identify.

In the Lower U.S. we have four venomous snakes (many species) that are INDIGINOUS.

1. Coral snake
2. Rattlesnakes
3. Moccasins/Cottonmouth
4. Copperheads

The last three (and all specie variations) are ‘Pit Vipers’, ALL have a distinctly triangular head with a noticeably narrower neck (even when juveniles). ALL indigenous pit vipers have an elliptical pupil of the eye.

The Coral Snake is easily distinguished from the pit vipers by its coloration alone. It does NOT have a triangular head and DOES have a round eye pupil. Its venom is neurotoxin. Of course, this snake would never be mistaken for a venomous water snake.

Water Moccasins (when mature) are noticeably ‘thick’ in build with respect to body length. They don’t have a long tapering tail like other harmless water snakes. But other water snakes do a pretty good job of mimicking a Moccasin/Cottonmouth.

The Yellow bellied Water Snake is often killed when mis-identified as a Cottonmouth. The Broadband and Diamond back water snake suffer greatly for looking like a Moccasin.

The only sure way to tell if an indigenous water snake is venomous is to note the pupil shape and/or note the scale arrangement of the bottom side of the tail AFTER the anal vent.

Venomous Water Snakes (indigenous to the U.S.) will have a single row of scales. Non-venomous (harmless) will have a double row.

Image

And yes, I know either method of identification will involve getting closer to the snake than most are willing. Just saying….these are the only two foolproof indicators, aside from being bitten.

Most snakes under most circumstances are beneficial. If there is no pressing reason, please do not kill them. Hat is off to the OP….for relocating the snake.
I swear...

STOP TALKING ABOUT SNAKE PUPILS!!!! STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT!!!

At a glance, what shape would you describe this obvious Water Moccasin's pupils as?

Image



Next, how about this one? What shape would you describe this shedding Water Moccasin's pupils as??? Go ahead, take a stab at it...

Image


The point is that it is foolish, and even dangerous to say things like "look at the pupils" since people will try and use this supposed info in the field and could get themselves hurt because of it.

As was correctly stated, there are only four venomous snakes that are native to North America. Learn to differentiate them at a glance without using stupid stuff like pupils, or insanely unhelpful information like what their anal vent looks like. Learn to use things like shape, size, coloration, scale keeling, and behavior... or just kill them all and move on.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

User avatar

Maxwell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 900
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Re: What ya'll say on this snake ?

#45

Post by Maxwell » Mon May 23, 2016 7:41 pm

Kenneth77 wrote:Was cleaning up this weekend and found this little guy under some old boards and i thought at first cotton mouth but he didn't seem angry like they usually are and also did not have have the bright white mouth when he struck once so i put him in the creek and let him go on his way.
Image
That a Cottonmouth, also known as a Water Moccasin. Very poisonous and very mean. Kill it!

Then clean your shorts...

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”