Off the forum...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RJGold
Posts in topic: 10

Off the forum...

Post by RJGold »

So I am back on the forum after a few months off...

We've had some really big changes in our lives. My wife and I bought 63 acres out near La Grange. Totally unimproved property so we've been doing a ton of work just to get power and an RV space set up so we can park our travel trailer there for weekend trips. Then we sold our house in Sugar Land, bought a fifth wheel, and are full timing during the week in Katy and spending our weekends in La Grange. There's no internet there which is very relaxing but that's when I normally did my forum browsing.

On the bright side, I figured out that changing your address on your CHL is very easily done on line.

We will be building on our land soon and I hope to have a range set up using the dike from our pond as a backstop. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Glad to be back and look forward to catching up...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Off the forum...

Post by tomtexan »

It's great to see you back and congrats on your new property.

:thumbsup:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Thank you...
Take Care.
RJ

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Thank you...
Take Care.
RJ

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Welcome to La Grange. Great place to live. We will have to get together for a forum breakfast.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Congratulations! It's been 12 years now since the wife and I bought 70 acres of unimproved timber land. We lived in an RV for two years before we got a house built on our property.

Enjoy the adventure, and take lots of before and after pictures for the memories.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

anygunanywhere wrote:Welcome to La Grange. Great place to live. We will have to get together for a forum breakfast.
That would be awesome...

A La Grange Forum breakfast!!!

I'll PM you and see if we can set something up...
Take Care.
RJ

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Welcome back RJ! It's good to hear from you, and congrats on the property. I hope you enjoy the peace that only "country living" can bring!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

RJGold wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Welcome to La Grange. Great place to live. We will have to get together for a forum breakfast.
That would be awesome...

A La Grange Forum breakfast!!!

I'll PM you and see if we can set something up...
I'm interested in a meet-up. Elgin is close to La Grange. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Maybe we really ought to do a Saturday meal at Snow's BBQ in Lexington.

I'm currently working in Corpus Christi on a 6 month job through September.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Left Sugar Land? How is that possible? Can there be a quieter place than Sugar Land? I just mention getting a weekend place in the country and my wife gives me "the look".

Congratulations and welcome back!
Last edited by sugar land dave on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

sugar land dave wrote:Left Sugar Land? How is that possible? Can there be a quiter place than Sugar Land? I just mention getting a weekend place in the country and my wife gives me "the look".

Congratulations and welcome back!
Sugar Land was good for us. We lived there twice. Once we got our daughter out of Clements and into college, paying the price to live there didn't make sense any more. We still have many great friends there.

I have to say though, we basically traded our home in SL for a smaller home on 63 acres "even money". Pretty amazing when you think about it...

I also don't have the wife complications. She was raised on a farm and happy to get back to the country...

Thanks for the welcome back.
Take Care.
RJ

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Welcome back, RJ. My father's family settled in Fayette County in the mid-1840s, and I no doubt have dozens of still-undiscovered distant cousins scattered around there. My only regret is that, over the generations, no land got passed down to me. Land enough in the county for a private range and a retirement home will remain a dream. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RJGold wrote:We will be building on our land soon and I hope to have a range set up using the dike from our pond as a backstop. I'll keep you posted on progress.
http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/31/supre ... -property/

BE VERY CAREFUL. I applaud what you want to do, but just be VERY careful. The EPA asserts that they have control over bodies of water on private property, and the COE (which doesn't allow guns on COE controlled property) asserts the same. SCOTUS recently allowed that private landowners do have a right to sue for redress when EPA/COE overstep their authority, but that won't stop some overzealous unaccountable bureaucrat in either of those departments from trashing your private property rights if they think they can get away with it.

Welcome back to the forum!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
RJGold wrote:We will be building on our land soon and I hope to have a range set up using the dike from our pond as a backstop. I'll keep you posted on progress.
http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/31/supre ... -property/

BE VERY CAREFUL. I applaud what you want to do, but just be VERY careful. The EPA asserts that they have control over bodies of water on private property, and the COE (which doesn't allow guns on COE controlled property) asserts the same. SCOTUS recently allowed that private landowners do have a right to sue for redress when EPA/COE overstep their authority, but that won't stop some overzealous unaccountable bureaucrat in either of those departments from trashing your private property rights if they think they can get away with it.

Welcome back to the forum!
Thank you TAM..

Maybe I need to use some of the borrow to set up a back stop separate from the dike. I was planning on shooting into the dike from the back side as I don't want to shoot over ( or have to walk around) water to get to the targets.

I'll reserve comment on the EPA or COE trying to control access or activities on my pond on my land as my mother told me if I couldn't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

As always, I appreciate your input.
Take Care.
RJ

Return to “Off-Topic”