Off the forum...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

gemini
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Off the forum...

Post by gemini »

RJGold & Lynyrd.....I'd be very interested in several areas of your efforts to improve your properties.

Like have you purchased a tractor? If so, make, size (HP), cab or open, additional implements?
Short of a bulldozer, the best method you've used to get rid of mesquite or honey locust?
On unimproved acreage have you filed for an Ag exemption? Type?
etc etc

My wife and I bought 56ac last Oct. Our plans closely resemble what y'all have expressed.
Trading info here might help all of us with solutions.
btw, RJ, welcome back.

Topic author
RJGold
Posts in topic: 10

Post by RJGold »

gemini wrote:RJGold & Lynyrd.....I'd be very interested in several areas of your efforts to improve your properties.

Like have you purchased a tractor? If so, make, size (HP), cab or open, additional implements?
Short of a bulldozer, the best method you've used to get rid of mesquite or honey locust?
On unimproved acreage have you filed for an Ag exemption? Type?
etc etc

My wife and I bought 56ac last Oct. Our plans closely resemble what y'all have expressed.
Trading info here might help all of us with solutions.
btw, RJ, welcome back.
Glad to share...

We bought a John Deere 4105 with a 165 front end loader. We also bought a box blade and 6' shredder. We bought an after market fork lift attachment for the loader and that is a must have!!!

Mesquite methods are various depending on your level of infestation and desire to get rid of all or some of it. They're actually beneficial if you leave some. They'll grow to be good shade trees if you thin them to about 50 centers and keep them pruned up. If you have heavy infestation and want them gone, hire a dozer service. Also talk with your county extension agent about safe methods to poison to prevent re-growth. They may also have some programs where the county picks up part of the tab for your land improvements (we haven't pursued this on our current place but have talked to some land owners who have received partial grants for erosion control or improving land for ag use).

We have an ag exemption on half our place and are filing for a wildlife exemption on the balance. When we build our house, we'll have to survey out a couple of acres and pay regular taxes on that plus the house. Everything else will stay exempt.

You can also get a Tax Exemption certificate from the Texas Comptroller to exempt you from sales tax on certain purchases (a tractor for example). It's easy to do on line at the Texas Comptroller's web page.

That's our status for now. PM me if you'd like more details on anything. I'd be happy to call and talk with you.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

gemini

Post by gemini »

Thanks for the reply. We are working on selling the house, already have the RV set up w/ water & power.
Biggest problem with the RV was septic solutions. Dealing with that was a minor headache.
As far as building, we're deciding between conventional and barndominium. Either will have to wait until
we get a pad site ready and road put down. I hate the idea of living in the RV for 2 years.
Shredder & box blade are indispensable. I picked up a NH TC40D. However, 40hp is lacking for
some jobs. I'll have to make do right now.
I had no idea about the co. ext. agent and the grant program. I will definitely look into it.
Our problem so far this year is rain. So much that my land is sopping wet. No mowing so the weeds are
getting pretty dang tall. A few days of sun predicted but then .....more rain.
The only thing I want that I haven't at least started working on is a 100yd rifle range. (that will happen, but,
"honey-do's come first).
Post up a few pics if you get the chance. I'll do the same.

mcscanner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mcscanner »

RJ,
I knew that Springfield M1A went to a good home. Last I recall you had yet to get the glass sorted out. Has that been addressed?
Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

mcscanner wrote:RJ,
I knew that Springfield M1A went to a good home. Last I recall you had yet to get the glass sorted out. Has that been addressed?
Mike
Not yet Mike. I have the Sadlak mount on it (Thanks TAM) but got distracted with all my buying, selling and moving. It has definitely moved closer to the top of the list now. I'll post some pics when I get it mounted...
Take Care.
RJ

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

gemini wrote:Thanks for the reply. We are working on selling the house, already have the RV set up w/ water & power.
Biggest problem with the RV was septic solutions. Dealing with that was a minor headache.
As far as building, we're deciding between conventional and barndominium. Either will have to wait until
we get a pad site ready and road put down. I hate the idea of living in the RV for 2 years.
Shredder & box blade are indispensable. I picked up a NH TC40D. However, 40hp is lacking for
I had no idea about the co. ext. agent and the grant program. I will definitely look into it.
Our problem so far this year is rain. So much that my land is sopping wet. No mowing so the weeds are
The only thing I want that I haven't at least started working on is a 100yd rifle range. (that will happen, but,
"honey-do's come first).
Sounds like you're making good progress. We have our travel trailer out there but as it's not in our final home location I still haul water out in a 60 gallon bladder and haul my black water to the Love's Truck Stop in a tote tank and dump in their dump station. It's a pain but we'll have water and septic sorted out soon.

We're in the same boat with rain. Everything is soggy. Makes it hard to get things done. I am trying not to complain as I remember the last two years prior where we would have done just about anything to get a few drops of rain...

I'll post some pics when I get a minute...
Take Care.
RJ

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

AndyC wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
RJGold wrote:We will be building on our land soon and I hope to have a range set up using the dike from our pond as a backstop. I'll keep you posted on progress.
http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/31/supre ... -property/

BE VERY CAREFUL. I applaud what you want to do, but just be VERY careful. The EPA asserts that they have control over bodies of water on private property, and the COE (which doesn't allow guns on COE controlled property) asserts the same. SCOTUS recently allowed that private landowners do have a right to sue for redress when EPA/COE overstep their authority, but that won't stop some overzealous unaccountable bureaucrat in either of those departments from trashing your private property rights if they think they can get away with it.

Welcome back to the forum!
More info on that: Supreme Court Delivers Huge Blow To EPA’s Ability To Control Private Property
Thanks Andy...

This appears to be a link to the same story TAM posted. Did you intend to link to something else or was that it? I appreciate you sharing the information.
Take Care.
RJ

gemini

Post by gemini »

RJGold wrote:
gemini wrote:Thanks for the reply. We are working on selling the house, already have the RV set up w/ water & power.
"honey-do's come first).
Sounds like you're making good progress. We have our travel trailer out there but as it's not in our final home location I still haul water out in a 60 gallon bladder and haul my black water to the Love's Truck Stop in a tote tank and dump in their dump station. It's a pain but we'll have water and septic sorted out soon.

We're in the same boat with rain. Everything is soggy. Makes it hard to get things done. I am trying not to complain as I remember the last two years prior where we would have done just about anything to get a few drops of rain...

I'll post some pics when I get a minute...
Our water is run to barn location, I'll have to trench to proposed house location (about 75yd).
I'll also trench for underground elec service too. I couldn't see hooking up or running back and forth
to the Interstate for blackwater disposal. Got a tank, when needed call for a pump out. 55gal holding
on RV, 250gal ground tank. Picked up a water tote too, but now just use it for new trees etc You'll need pallet forks
to handle the weight (with water). Ditto on the rain. Probably be begging for it in July & August.
Attachments
water tank.jpg

Return to “Off-Topic”