Nearly hit a deer on the motorcycle today

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

FrogFan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Nearly hit a deer on the motorcycle today

Post by FrogFan »

I've been lucky over the past 20 years riding not to hit a forest rat. I avoid riding at night or anytime near dusk or dawn, and I'm especially careful on roads where the trees and brush are close to the road, all the time thinking that will keep me safe. You had all of that going for you and still had a near miss, with the deer hiding in broad daylight in apparently nothing but tall grass. I'm glad that you manage to escape safely. Stay safe!

bubba84

Post by bubba84 »

Was on FM59 last week between St Jo and Montague on my way to my parents place. Had a doe run out in front me, luckily she jumped my goldwings front fender, I kicked her with my right foot to make sure she didnt hit the bike, she was that close. I almost had to borrow a pair of my dads underwear for the trip home.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Darn! I was hoping to see the conversation with the four old coots! :biggrinjester:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

tomtexan wrote:Darn! I was hoping to see the conversation with the four old coots! :biggrinjester:
Bob Philips and his Texas Country Reporter show may have archives. "rlol" "rlol"
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It's scary enough in a car or truck, but on a bike. I came a little closer than you did about 5-6 years ago. I was only going about 45-50 at the time, but still darn scary.

Did the car stop or did you find the deer?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

karder

Post by karder »

That's scary. Glad you're ok. I have had a couple of near hits on my bike. It looks like it was the middle of the day, which is a bit unusual. Be careful and ride on!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

When I first saw this, I was wondering how a deer got on a motorcycle in the first place. :biggrinjester:

Seriously though, glad you were OK. I have come close to hitting several animals including clipping the tail of a coyote while on a bike, seen deer near roads and putt putted real slow to prevent hitting them.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have come close a couple of times in the 40+ years I've been riding. It will make you clean your britches for sure. Glad you were not hurt
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Wow, that's really scary. Glad you kept the shiny side up and was able to avoid the deer.

I've been riding motorcycles for going on 20 years now. I've never once had a close call with a wild animal. ((Thankfully))

But I do find myself constantly dodging DFW's potholes and the most dangerous of all animals, humans in cars...

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

koine2002 wrote:I've been taking a personal retreat out at some acreage in deep east Texas I have access to. I did some riding in and around the Crockett National Forest today. On FM 227 I nearly hit a deer. While I have a helmet cam, I won't subject people to my videos unless it's scenic, instructional, or something happened. Well something happened. I nearly hit the deer. I was 10 yards too slow. However, an oncoming vehicle did hit it. Here's the footage. It's about 1 minute long. On another note, I did OC the whole ride. That part was uneventful. I did have a fun conversation with four old coots who were sitting outside the gas station in Ratcliff. They sit on those same 4 chairs every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wmsq3mxwcw
That area is well known for vehicle/deer collisions. It would be especially bad for a motorcycle.

I always watch for deer when traveling that area....but they can come out of nowhere sometimes.

We actually hit a Wild Turkey just West of Ratcliff about 10 yrs. ago. A group was on the side of the road and spooked when the truck ahead of us passed by them. The flock all took wing, crossing the highway at windshield height of our SUV. One hit the very top of the windshield and was launched upward. I could see it in my rearview as it landed on the pavement. I turned around to check it out.

Eastern Turkey hen....dead as a door-nail.

Just recently my Wife missed a deer that crossed the highway in front of her...but the another one ran into the side of our Land Cruiser putting a long crease in the rear door and almost removed the fender flare. Lots of hair stuck in the seam there.

Hate to think of what kind of crash would be involved if someone hit a deer on a bike. Wouldn't be pretty.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

myntalfloss

Post by myntalfloss »

It's pretty exciting when you do. I hit a small yearling deer heading north on FM 1174 heading toward Bertram going well in excess of posted speed limits. Short version, I was fine, the bike stayed upright, no damage to the bike ('94 Honda Magna), deer split in half with a small strip of skin holding it together. Speed kills.
Be careful out there.

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

I've had one close call with a deer while riding my bike. As much as I prefer back roads to the highway, I try to avoid them at night. Pretty amazing that yours was in broad daylight! Stay safe! On a related note, I'm going to be riding to East Texas in a couple weeks. I pass through Ratcliff on hwy 7 on my way to Lufkin.

Return to “Off-Topic”