Asked to be on neighborhood crime watch team...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ryan
Posts in topic: 2

Asked to be on neighborhood crime watch team...

Post by Ryan »

If this has been discussed before I wasn't able to find it from searching. So feel free to sight the thread if I missed it.

Here goes... so I was asked about being a part of the neighborhood crime watch. You know, "neighborhood watch" magnets on cars while driving around looking for suspicious activity and stopping to talk to residents. At this point, I'm very hesitant. Partly because of the Zimmerman/Martin thing, and also because I am an LTC holder. So I've got some questions.

Can an LTC owner be granted any kind of authority to intervene in a crime being committed while they are "on duty" so to speak?
LTC aside, can you even intervene in a crime being committed as part of a neighborhood watch?
What if I stop to talk to a resident, only to find out it's not a resident AND they are in the process of committing a crime AND now they attack me? I know that I have the right to protect myself... but what kind of legal turmoil might I be facing because I was part of the crime watch and essentially engaged the suspect who otherwise wouldn't have attacked me?

I mean let's be honest, neighborhood watch people are out actively looking for crime. If I'm going to be looking for possible criminal activity, I'd really like to be armed. I'm sure most of you would agree with that. But along those same lines, I am fully aware that I am not any kind of officer of the law and am in no way looking to be some kind of civilian vigilante or anything like that.

I'm really trying to make an informed decision here guys and gals. I want to help the neighborhood as we've had a recent rash of break-ins in the area, both cars and homes. But I'm very torn because I'm not going to put myself into a dangerous situation without being armed. And I definitely don't want anything like the George Zimmerman thing happening to me either. I ultimately got my LTC to protect myself and my family and I don't want to put that in jeopardy. Especially for a "neighborhood watch."

Thoughts? Experiences? Anyone on a neighborhood watch themselves?

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Asked to be on neighborhood crime watch team...

Post by 2farnorth »

If you are in an "organized" crime WATCH then you probably will not be allowed to carry. Anyway your duties will be only to observe and report. Leave apprehension and enforcement to the professionals. Of course if there is grave danger to a person then you will have to use your own judgement.
N5PNZ

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

As a former LEO, I appreciated neighborhood watch volunteers, but not as additional crime fighters, but good witnesses, taking down license plates, describing suspects, etc.. While you are well within your rights to carry while engaging in a neighborhood watch program, I would use caution in intervening in anything that didn't involve imminent threat of death, or serious bodily injury. It can go bad real quick if you run up on someone breaking into a car with your gun drawn trying to stop it. What if they don't stop? it's not your car, they pose no threat to you physically, what is your plan of action at that point?

Be the eyes and ears of the police, stay safe and be a well armed witness.JMHO :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Jusme wrote:As a former LEO, I appreciated neighborhood watch volunteers, but not as additional crime fighters, but good witnesses, taking down license plates, describing suspects, etc.. While you are well within your rights to carry while engaging in a neighborhood watch program, I would use caution in intervening in anything that didn't involve imminent threat of death, or serious bodily injury. It can go bad real quick if you run up on someone breaking into a car with your gun drawn trying to stop it. What if they don't stop? it's not your car, they pose no threat to you physically, what is your plan of action at that point?

Be the eyes and ears of the police, stay safe and be a well armed witness.JMHO :tiphat:
That is exactly what I was looking for, and I was hoping that a former LEO would chime in. Thank you sir.

Thank you as well, 2farnorth.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Nicely put Jusme!

ELB

Post by ELB »

My two cents:

Short of being an commissioned peace officer active with a department, the only "authority" you have, neighborhood watch or not, is what everybody else has, i.e. "citizen's arrest" powers, I don't think anyone can grant you any more than that. It is true that a peace officer can summon you for aid, but as far as I understand it that is a case-by-case basis, and of course the peace officer has to be present.

I probably would not participate in any neighborhood watch program that wanted to disarm me. If I did, I certainly would not obey their rule about not carrying.

I listened to the actual trial of George Zimmerman, and it was pretty clear he was not chasing anybody, he was trying to be a good witness, and trouble came to him. So even with the best intent to not get involved and only be "eyes and ears", trouble can come to you, which is why I would not go unarmed.

Best wishes on your decision.
USAF 1982-2005

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

:iagree: What ELB said.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

:iagree: What ScottDLS said :biggrinjester:

Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

I don't think I would like the idea of being in a marked vehicle. If your purpose is to observe, report and be a witness I would think you would do better without being marked. Those markings could also make you a target.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

If you are just worried about keeping your neighborhood safe, you could also just make a practice of taking evening strolls through the neighborhood and being polite enough to say hello to various folks you might come across. Seems like you could do just as much good without the hassles of being in a formal watch program.

Regardless, I second the advice above to not get involved (other than as a witness) unless there is imminent threat of death or bodily harm to yourself or others.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:If you are just worried about keeping your neighborhood safe, you could also just make a practice of taking evening strolls through the neighborhood and being polite enough to say hello to various folks you might come across. Seems like you could do just as much good without the hassles of being in a formal watch program.

Regardless, I second the advice above to not get involved (other than as a witness) unless there is imminent threat of death or bodily harm to yourself or others.
:iagree:
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:If you are just worried about keeping your neighborhood safe, you could also just make a practice of taking evening strolls through the neighborhood and being polite enough to say hello to various folks you might come across. Seems like you could do just as much good without the hassles of being in a formal watch program.

I also think this is good advice and practice this in my own 'hood.

We've seen some funny stuff go down on the walking trails here, called the police who came out, spoke with us, increased patrols and had the neighborhood added to the drug teams scope. Wife saw a vehicle that we had suspicions about and called. A blacked out patrol unit rolled up in about 2 - 3 minutes with the Supervisor not far behind. Apparently they had another unit start up the other end of the trail. End of story, bagged a guy for intent to distribute and resisting arrest (or something, he ran) and put a lid on it. I do carry when walking the dog and keep my eyes open, but like some others, prefer to allow our police officers to do their thing, which around here they seem to be pretty good at.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

I agree with Jusme and Bayoutalker. I've been on our neighborhood watch team for a while now. I just ride around in my car (no markings) and look for anything or anyone suspicious. If I see something I call it in and stay back, just be eyes and ears, as I know you've heard before, distance is your friend.

I've seen things like a car pulls up and parks in a common area like the pool or park, 1 or 2 younger males get out with backpacks and take off on foot. Younger males on bicycles with backpacks riding around the neighborhood checking out houses. I've seen a guy on foot going from driveway to driveway looking in cars, the funny thing about this one was he had his backpack on backwards so he could access his burglary tools easier. Each time I've called the SO and they get here quick. They have told us to never hesitate calling in. The common thing I've seen is backpacks.

Also, I call the SO before I go out to let them know what I'm doing and make sure they have a description of me and my car, ie, plate number, make, model, color.
TSRA Life Memeber

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

“Citizens Patrol” in Houston includes walkers who sign up, logs the number of hours of participation each month, and encourages others to join. The statistics are handled by the neighborhood association and the association newsletter handles the publicity. They would love, I suspect, to include the 6,480 hours I have logged since retiring. However, they cannot because I carry and therefore will not join under their rules. The rules are provided by the Houston Police Department.
TX CHL 1997

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

eureka40 wrote:I agree with Jusme and Bayoutalker. I've been on our neighborhood watch team for a while now. I just ride around in my car (no markings) and look for anything or anyone suspicious. If I see something I call it in and stay back, just be eyes and ears, as I know you've heard before, distance is your friend.

I've seen things like a car pulls up and parks in a common area like the pool or park, 1 or 2 younger males get out with backpacks and take off on foot. Younger males on bicycles with backpacks riding around the neighborhood checking out houses. I've seen a guy on foot going from driveway to driveway looking in cars, the funny thing about this one was he had his backpack on backwards so he could access his burglary tools easier. Each time I've called the SO and they get here quick. They have told us to never hesitate calling in. The common thing I've seen is backpacks.

Also, I call the SO before I go out to let them know what I'm doing and make sure they have a description of me and my car, ie, plate number, make, model, color.
They may be posting doorhangers like they do in our neighborhood... :???: It's a pain when all those ads get blown around the neighborhood, but they're not really casing for burglars...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Off-Topic”