Have You Ever Eaten Coyote?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Have You Ever Eaten Coyote?

Post by howdy »

I went to two survival schools in the Marines....one in Flight School and the other was S.E.R.E. (Search, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) I can tell you, after 1 or two days with no food, you will eat ANYTHING.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

rotor

Post by rotor »

My relatives come from eastern Europe. Grandma cooked almost every organ food you can think of. I won't gross you out by telling you what she cooked but they were poor and nothing was ever wasted. You just have to develop a taste for it all. Never tried coyote but I imagine it tastes like dog and I never tried that as a dog lover but I understand that the Vietnamese love dog meat.

Armadillo is a different story and you can get leprosy from handling or eating them. If cooked well they are safe to eat but I can't see eating one no matter how it's cooked.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I have always kept an open mind regarding what I eat. I have eaten several types of wild game including squirrels and possum, but coyote has never been one of my menu choices. That said, I agree that many things,will come down to a case of survival. I haven't ruled it out as a food source, but it would not make the top of my list it and would be after several other choices were unavailable. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

Coyote, coon, crow, are all basically the same as a buzzard. If I was hungry, real hungry it wouldn't matter but given the choice, uh no.

Rattlesnake is like a cross between fish and frog legs but with a thousand bones it seems like.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

John Galt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John Galt »

Take Down Sicko wrote:Did it taste like chicken?
I don't want to eat anything that tastes like chicken, other than chicken. :mrgreen:

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

I'd have thought it'd like roadrunner

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

boxermoose wrote:
Tangent: I've wondered, what were roadrunners called before there were roads?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

jason812 wrote:
boxermoose wrote:
:lol: They were called chaparral birds. They are fun to watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrunner
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

joe817 wrote:
jason812 wrote:
boxermoose wrote:
:lol: They were called chaparral birds. They are fun to watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrunner
They are fun to watch, but I've been eternally disappointed over the years to never hear one go "mee-meep!®" :mrgreen: They are kind of the avian version of a mini-velociraptor.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:They are fun to watch, but I've been eternally disappointed over the years to never hear one go "mee-meep!®" :mrgreen: They are kind of the avian version of a mini-velociraptor.
And to think the 'toons first appearance was September, 1949, in a piece titled "Fast and Furry-ous." I kid you not, Vin Diesel.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

While stationed in korea I at what they called gegogi. It was dog and pretty good too.

Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

puma guy wrote:
The crow or the other meats? :biggrinjester: The rattlesnake had sort of a neutral flavor, so I guess the closest thing would be chicken with fish bones. The possum tasted just like you'd think possum taste and the racoon tasted like greasy possum.
Raccoon can be very good but it must be cleaned properly and all glands removed. After that, the method of cooking can make a world of difference. We had an old lady that we brought coons to that knew what to do with them. At lunch she would bring us a plate of oven roasted coon with butter beans and candied yams. It don't get better than that.

Another animal I've eaten that can be pretty good is nutria.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

I keep seeing people comment about the poster who stated he's eaten his fair share of crow. I originally took this to be a joke.

Were you being literal or just throwing some humor in there? Just curious.

Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

As far as coyotes and other dogs go, I read a book called "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose (author of Band of Brothers) about the Lewis and Clark expedition. In their daily log book they reported that when they got low on meat they began eating their dogs. They were very pleased with the taste and actually preferred it over elk meat and would actually trade Indians for more dogs later on specifically to be used for food.

I've always felt that as humans, especially Americans, what we consider to be suitable meat or not is hugely psychological. I agree to a degree that "meat is meat". For instance, a horse is a beautiful animal. We have an emotional attachment to them. They are great tools, "pets", graceful. But for most of us, even thinking of butchering one and eating it sounds barbaric. Yet, emotions aside, genetically a horse, if it were any other animal, would seem to qualify as an excellent meat animal. So why do we cringe when we hear of other cultures who eat horse?

Not sure if this is fair comparison to coyote or not. But my point is until we taste any animal, how do we know if it's good or not. But to answer the question, no, I don't think I'd care to process coyotes and eat them regularly. But I will try anything once.

Return to “Off-Topic”