Republican Convention: Cruz supporters planning trouble?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Republican Convention: Cruz supporters planning trouble?

Post by twomillenium »

twomillenium wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Okay, I guess this thread isn't going to die a natural death for a while.

Many Forum Members have repeatedly and correctly stated that, if elected officials run and win as Republicans, then they are honor-bound to support the Party's Platform. These elected officials are rightfully condemned for failing to do so.

Millions of Republicans voted in primaries around the country. Their choice, by record margins, was Donald Trump. If Cruz or anyone else wants to campaign under the Republican banner, then respect the will of those millions of Republicans and support the Party's Candidate. If you want the benefits of the Party, then support the people who make up the Party and respect their decision. Otherwise, leave the Party and run as an independent.

Chas.

As a conservative we may, one day, have to consider just that. It will not be us leaving the party as much as the party has left us. :tiphat:
Last edited by twomillenium on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 8

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I started this thread, now let me try to end it without actually locking it. Many of us have given our opinions about this issue, but Cruz's actions are now history, albeit recent history. The job now is to do everything we can to get Trump elected and Hillary to the political retirement home.

Join the NRA if you are not already a Member. Donate to the NRA/ILA. Talk to your friends and family and get them involved. As I said in a prior post, 2020 is not merely four years away, it's four years and four U.S. Supreme Court Justices down the road. If Hillary wins, it won't matter if Republicans sweep the House, Senate and Presidential elections in 2020, because a 6/3 liberal majority will control the SCOTUS for an entire generation.

Chas.
:iagree: Nothing, I repeat nothing, is more important than keeping Clinton from taking control of this country. And if Republicans, Libertarians and Democrats who love their liberty and freedom don't vote that way, then God help us all.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 11

Post by LSUTiger »

As Micheal Berry espoused on the radio yesterday and it's one thing I agree with is that the problem with Trump and some of his supporters is that they don't know how to win, they just keep attacking. It turns people off to Trump, especially prospective Republican voters. Hello! Trump won the nomination! Stop fighting with the other candidates. Focus on Hillary.

Ted Cruz did not attack Trump or say one negative thing. In fact he did the very same thing Reagan did at the RNC when Gerald Ford got the nomination. He never outright endorsed him, he laid out republican principles we should stand for.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... n_1976.ogv

http://www.westernjournalism.com/ted-cr ... manualpost
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G26ster »

So the goal is to WIN! So let's see. The troops wanting to win select their preferred general. The troops who didn't get their general selected stay home and don't fight for the selected general. That's the way to win for sure. Yeah, right :???:

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

"If the choice is between suspending the rules of decorum, decency, and civility for Donald Trump as he casually badmouths his own country to the New York Times just as he secures the presidential nomination of the Republican party or accepting that we are in dark and uncharted waters and conscience must light the way, I choose Ted."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/43 ... choose-ted
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

fickman

Post by fickman »

G26ster wrote:So the goal is to WIN! So let's see. The troops wanting to win select their preferred general. The troops who didn't get their general selected stay home and don't fight for the selected general. That's the way to win for sure. Yeah, right :???:
To take this analogy further:

It's easy to lay the blame at the feet of the soldiers who won't fight for the new general, but what blame lies at the feet of those who elected that general despite repeated, earnest warnings from the rank and file (whose support would be needed for the win) that many had a moral and ideological roadblock preventing them from ever fighting for him. Either the "winners" doubted those convictions or didn't care, but it's clear that the warnings weren't heeded.

-----------------
I'll leave this digression where it is and agree with Charles that supporting the NRA has never been more important than it is now.
Native Texian

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 20

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I just deleted my last responsive post and I'm backing away from this thread. I've given my opinion and there's nothing more I can say. It's time to work like carpenter ants to keep the baby-killing, gun-grabbing, constitution-burning Hillary out of the White House. Cruz's future in politics, if any, is not an issue for today. We must win the Presidency, retain a majority in the Senate and maintain or expand our margin in the House.

Nothing else matters at the moment.
Chas.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 7

Post by twomillenium »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just deleted my last responsive post and I'm backing away from this thread. I've given my opinion and there's nothing more I can say. It's time to work like carpenter ants to keep the baby-killing, gun-grabbing, constitution-burning Hillary out of the White House. Cruz's future in politics, if any, is not an issue for today. We must win the Presidency, retain a majority in the Senate and maintain or expand our margin in the House.

Nothing else matters at the moment.
Chas.
I again agree with you on this.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

stroo

Post by stroo »

1. I am disappointed in Cruz. He should have been smarter and either refused to attend or go ahead and endorse Trump. However I didn't hear a single bit of criticism of Trump in his speech. The call to vote your conscience was the only thing that could have been objectionable. I found that laudatory rather than objectionable.

2. Reagan's speech in 1976 was no more or less an endorsement of Ford than Cruz' speech was of Trump. In fact Cruz repeated Trump's themes in his speech including building a wall and fair trade rather than free trade. I thought he was actually going to endorse Trump as I was listening.

3. Reagan did nothing after the convention to campaign for Ford. I have long held him responsible for Ford's loss to Carter. It was a very close election and if Reagan had campaigned at all for Ford, Ford probably would have won.

4. The difference between 1976 and yesterday was that Ford welcomed Reagan trying to patch up the differences whereas Trump played Cruz, organizing the boos and refusing to apologize for the lies he told about Cruz' wife and father.

5. Trump did not win the nomination by historic margins. He had the lowest percentage of voters in any Republican primary since Nixon.

So again Trump engages in division rather than seeking unity. He again has moved me away from voting for him.

BTW I hate this election

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I wonder if Cruz might have been a bit more supportive if Trump had apologized for the slander against his father and wife?

PhilBob

Post by PhilBob »

Cruz could have said he despised Trump on a personal level due the insults to his wife and father, but he made a pledge and therefore supports Trump politically because we MUST defeat Hillary!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 20

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Since you support Cruz at any cost people just can't stop, this thread is locked.

Chas.

Return to “Off-Topic”