Motor homes

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Motor homes

Post by bigtek »

Oldgringo wrote:Mrs. Oldgringo has just been diagnosed with COPD, I have Hypomagnesemia, etc. and have been waiting a month for a Dr. appt. that won't happen until next Month. The heck with it! We're heading up to the White River in the Ozarks as soon as we can get loaded/hitched up. We can die there with a fly rod and/or a camera in our hands as well as anywhere - if it's our turn to die.

CARPE DIEM, there may not be a tomorrow. :leaving
I hope you and the Mrs have as many tomorrows as you like, but always enjoy today.

Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Oldgringo »

Thanks for the well wishes, y'all. The cemeteries already have lotsa' folk younger than us in residence. With that thought in mind, we're headin' up to the White River tomorrow and then maybe on over to Nashville and down the Natchez Trace one more time. This is the best time of the year!

We'll be back in the Pineywoods when we're back.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Oldgringo wrote:Thanks for the well wishes, y'all. The cemeteries already have lotsa' folk younger than us in residence. With that thought in mind, we're headin' up to the White River tomorrow and then maybe on over to Nashville and down the Natchez Trace one more time. This is the best time of the year!

We'll be back in the Pineywoods when we're back.
Sorry to hear of your health issues. Prayers for both of you. I hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy many more.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 43

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So we went to Walmart and bought wheel chocks, a Lynxlevelers RV Leveling Kit, a knee-pad, a 15' Camco RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit, RV toilet paper, a clean water hose, a 90º brass elbow and a brass water regulator for the clean water hookup, and a light broom and dustpan.

Question: do you have to have a separate drain hose for the gray water tank, or do you just use the same hose you use to drain the black water tank?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Texsquatch »

The Annoyed Man wrote:So we went to Walmart and bought wheel chocks, a Lynxlevelers RV Leveling Kit, a knee-pad, a 15' Camco RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit, RV toilet paper, a clean water hose, a 90º brass elbow and a brass water regulator for the clean water hookup, and a light broom and dustpan.

Question: do you have to have a separate drain hose for the gray water tank, or do you just use the same hose you use to drain the black water tank?
I drain black tank first, then gray tank last to clean out the hose.

As for water hoses...
I used to drink from the garden hose as a kid, so wondered why you would need a special freshwater hose for the RV, and a $20 filter.

However, after hearing about and seeing some of the water coming out of the faucet at these lakes I'm glad I took the extra measure. We still mostly have bottled water to drink anyway, but I have the hose filter because I don't want to take the chance of fouling up the water system on my rig.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Texsquatch wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:So we went to Walmart and bought wheel chocks, a Lynxlevelers RV Leveling Kit, a knee-pad, a 15' Camco RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit, RV toilet paper, a clean water hose, a 90º brass elbow and a brass water regulator for the clean water hookup, and a light broom and dustpan.

As for water hoses...
I used to drink from the garden hose as a kid, so wondered why you would need a special freshwater hose for the RV, and a $20 filter.

However, after hearing about and seeing some of the water coming out of the faucet at these lakes I'm glad I took the extra measure. We still mostly have bottled water to drink anyway, but I have the hose filter because I don't want to take the chance of fouling up the water system on my rig.
But you use the same hose for black water as you do for gray water, right?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by WTR »

We always cooked over the camp fire. However, the oven came in very handy when cooking casseroles for holiday meals while the house oven cooked the turkey.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 23

Post by carlson1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: But you use the same hose for black water as you do for gray water, right?
Yes sir. Just be sure to drain the black first and then the grey. Then rinse out the hose.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by WTR »

carlson1 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: But you use the same hose for black water as you do for gray water, right?
Yes sir. Just be sure to drain the black first and then the grey. Then rinse out the hose.
I agree. I also used one of the clear attachment to check if the water from both tanks ran clear. I would take one of the wands you can either make or buy and make sure my black tank was flushed of TP and any residue, I then filled the black tank slightly with chlorinated water and put some of the blue porta potty fluid in the tank to keep it sanitized for next time ( in this heat it would smell if I didn't.). I only showered from my clean water tank, but I would fill it with chlorinated water and drop an iodine tablet in it.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 23

Post by carlson1 »

WTR is right. I do the same. Don't buy into the RV TP thing. Just about all TP sold on the shelf will be fine for the RV at half the price.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Oldgringo »

OH! Did you get the $100 decorator's rug for under your awning yet? If not, there are 9x9 (?) pieces of outdoor carpet at Lowes and HD that will do the job as well. They'll roll up and ride well on your rear bumper secured with bungee cords.

We have a folding table from Walmart that serves us well under the awning. Just sayin'....

Happy Trails to you......

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I just want to say, I'm really enjoying this thread! Congrats TAM on your new tag-along, I know you and TAW will have many great adventures to share.

This forum is great with all of the advice and suggestions. :clapping:
I may also be looking at a trailer in a similar in size soon. Since Jusme Jr. is out of scouting, I miss camping, and Mrs. Jusme won't go, if there are not four walls made of more than lightweight nylon. I'm good with a tarp and hammock set up. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry to hear about Oldgringo's and Mrs. Oldgringo's health issues, prayers sent. Your wonderful attitude speaks volumes. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 7

Post by E.Marquez »

Same hose for both...
Then the last drain before storage, I would empty the fresh water tank into the system, filling as possible both grey and black water tanks.., and drain again.
1: I liked to flush, sanitize the fresh water system, so needed to drain anyway
2: I wanted to get as much fresh water though the black and gray tanks with less "wasted" fresh water

As we "camped" at sites I often did not trust the fresh water hook ups...we drank and cooked with bottled water ..fresh water tank was for showering, cleaning and in a pinch cooking after it was boiled.

Cleaning the black water tank occasionally is as easy as flushing 40lb of ice cubes..then driving to your next location..when you get there, drain the tank of the no melted ice and loosened sludge....may need to add some fresh water form the dump site (most all have a hose for that use)
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Texsquatch wrote:

As for water hoses...

But you use the same hose for black water as you do for gray water, right?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Oldgringo wrote:OH! Did you get the $100 decorator's rug for under your awning yet? If not, there are 9x9 (?) pieces of outdoor carpet at Lowes and HD that will do the job as well. They'll roll up and ride well on your rear bumper secured with bungee cords.

We have a folding table from Walmart that serves us well under the awning. Just sayin'....

Happy Trails to you......
Thanks OG. No, we didn't buy a $100 decorator rug. We did look at an outdoor decorator rug in the RV section while we were at Walmart, but didn't buy it. I don't remember the price. We did buy an 8'x10' gray tarp; I don't remember the price for that one either, but it was probably about $10. But the outdoor carpeting idea sounds like a winner, as does storing it on the rear bumper, so thanks for the idea. I'll check that one out in the next day or two.
E.Marquez wrote:Same hose for both...
Then the last drain before storage, I would empty the fresh water tank into the system, filling it as possible both grey and black water tanks.., and drain again.
1: I liked to flush, sanitize the fresh water system, so needed to drain anyway
2: I wanted to get as much fresh water though the black and gray tanks with less "wasted" fresh water

As we "camped" at sites I often did not trust the fresh water hook ups...we drank and cooked with bottled water ..fresh water tank was for showering, cleaning and in a pinch cooking after it was boiled.
Erik, I'm not sure about my gray water tank, but I know that my black water tank has one of those internal "sprinkler" heads, and there is a secondary connection at the back of the trailer for city water, which exists specifically to flush out the black water tank by means of the sprinkler. Do you think that between that, and pouring a gallon or two of water down the toilet, that would be sufficient to flush that tank?

We will probably be buying and drinking bottled water too for the most part. (I do that at home anyway.) I might boil the incoming fresh water to make coffee with, but unless I was hooked up to a municipal water supply where I knew the water to be good, I'm not sure I would trust it either. For instance, one of the first places we'll be going to is the Lake Whitney RV Campground (it's one of the Thousand Trails sites on our free membership). I have no idea if the water comes unprocessed from the lake, or if it is off of the treated water supply from one of the surrounding municipalities. Of course, I will call and ask when I book the reservation, but I may not get a clear answer, so......

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The potable drinking water coming into the parks around Lake Whitney, either comes from the City of Whitney, or water co-ops around the area. I have never had any, nor heard of any, issues with water at Thousand Trails or any other parks in the area. I can't speak for Thousand Trails as far as their non-potable water, it may be lake water.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”