Gallup Poll: Americans' Respect for Police Surges

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Gallup Poll: Americans' Respect for Police Surges

Post by Skiprr »

This first came to my attention in the November 1 issue of Force Science News and, considering so much of what we've seen this year in the mainstream media about protests against police and law enforcement, what this new Gallup poll shows may be enlightening...even if it contradicts what CNN or MSNBC would have us believe is popular opinion.
Gallup on October 24, 2016 wrote:Gallup has asked this question nine times since 1965. The percentage who say they respect the police is significantly higher now than in any measurement taken since the 1990s and is just one point below the high of 77% recorded in 1967. Solid majorities of Americans have said they respect their local law enforcement in all polls conducted since 1965.

And this just before two more officers were killed in an ambush attack in Des Moines, Iowa. Beyond sad.

Link to the Gallup release of the full data here: http://www.gallup.com/poll/196610/ameri ... urges.aspx.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Jeff B.

Re: Gallup Poll: Americans' Respect for Police Surges

Post by Jeff B. »

A response to the unjustified and racist attacks of BLM. People understand when something is not right. The majority of the population understands that BLM is another group that's out to blame the misdeeds of their representative population on others.

Are there bad cops? Yes, like any other profession, there are bad eggs. There is not however, IMO, a conspiracy to target black people unjustly. As we're seeing, the majority understands that most officers are professional, honest and fair.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

I think this poll would reflect whom is being polled and where they live.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

MeMelYup wrote:I think this poll would reflect whom is being polled and where they live.
Point.

Polling can certainly be influenced by methodology and sample group/method.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Topic author
Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Yep. At the bottom of the OP is a link to the Gallup release about this poll; at the bottom of that is a link to a PDF file that contains complete methodology as well as questions and responses: http://www.gallup.com/file/poll/196631/ ... Police.pdf. Other than the landline vs. cell phone distinction, looks like they've asked the same question nine times over 50 years, so if nothing else the trend says something.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Awesome results. Americans should respect Laws and those that enforce them. When those that enforce our Laws become corrupted, its time to remove them by whatever force needed.
III

Return to “Off-Topic”