Casualty of War (Election)

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
Mxrdad
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Casualty of War (Election)

#1

Post by Mxrdad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:15 pm

I "lost" 2 family members during this election. They are still alive, I'm not talking about death. Our nephew on my wife's side, his age is around 25 ish, immediately disowned any of the family that supported President Trump. He did this early on after it was just down to Shillery and President Trump so it was way before election day. He unfriended any family member on social media and I haven't heard from him since.

On my side, my Niece at the age of 32 ish, just so happened to move to Seattle a few months ago and while on the phone with her, I told her be careful up there. Watch out for those Liberals. It is now your job to try and turn the state Red! A very casual conversation and I figured we would get a laugh out of it. She said huh? I'm proud my state is Blue. :shock:

I remember the good ol days when I was young, I would hear my Dad, Uncles, Aunts etc. give each other a hard time with Red vs Blue, but it was always in a good friendly manner. Seems like we lost that. Now its all out war when it comes to Red vs Blue. Its become quite hostile to the point where it divides families and that's a shame. Shouldn't be that way.

And "Unfriending" someone on social media is somehow now the biggest insult to a friend/family member you could give them. I have heard so many arguments on that subject not only in my little world, but many other folks as well. Personally, I don't do social media. I don't do Fakebook, or Tweet. Not that I have anything against it but its of no interest to me.

Anyway, I have to say it surprises me how shallow these 2 family members are. They are not open minded enough to at least give President Trump a chance. If he blows it on a few subjects, I'll complain right along with them. Its sad but that's the way it is. But if they pull away from the family based on this silly stuff, maybe its best. Dunno. I don't know why we can't agree to disagree.

Anyone else have casualties of election war?
Finally woke up.......... Proud NRA Life member.
Proud member of TSRA as well.

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5114
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#2

Post by Jusme » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:23 pm

I haven't "lost" any family members, but some of my friends, who are pro labor union, etc.. have become very cold towards those who voted for Trump. I have even tried to have a rational discussion regarding how their union reps are leading them astray, by having them vote for those who are diametrically opposed to the labor force, and who want to open the borders to illegal immigrants to keep wages down, but it falls on deaf ears. They don't understand that the left is what drove out so many companies, to other countries. I asked them if they could name any jobs besides hit men and bag men that the union has created, and they couldn't, but they insist that unions are the answer, and that capitalism is the enemy.

I don't do social media either, my wife does just for the kids and grand kids, but I just don't care what everyone had for dinner. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1868
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#3

Post by TreyHouston » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:32 pm

my niece goes to Ryder in NJ. Her professors that lead an alternative lifestyle who adopt. They have turned her. They keep crying during class saying "Trump will deport our adopted children and make us get a divorce"! She is a dance major and wants to go into Broadway. I explained Trump the best I could (with FACTS), she gets it, but I told her that even if she really does, that he has to be a Hillary fan DUE TO HER INDUSTRY.

THE FILM INDUSTRY IS SO PREJUDICE THAT IT SICKENS ME!!!!!! They are the racists and phobic ones!!!!!!
I really feel a HUGE backlash coming.... :???: :???:

And yes, on a side note, I asked my sister why in the world would you send a young girl to drama school to make her MORE DRAMATIC. "rlol"
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1454
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#4

Post by Lynyrd » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:36 pm

There are no casualties in my immediate family, but there are some in my extended family. I know of one situation a few years back where a daughter more or less disowned her parents because they couldn't agree with her liberal viewpoint. She was pretty "in your face with it" and didn't give you a chance to keep your opinion to yourself. She went to school in Austin, and now makes her living off of low rent music gigs.

I have nieces and nephews who are liberal, but we get along. We just don't talk politics to each other. I have some liberal cousins in various parts of the country. The only way we get along is just to not talk politics.
Last edited by Lynyrd on Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#5

Post by bblhd672 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:37 pm

My ultra-left liberal brother and sister in law (Bernie primary voters, Hillary general voters) and I are still "friends" on Facebook - we don't follow each other and kinda have an agreement not to post/comment on each others pages about things we have different opinions on. They're family, nice folks and we love them, but have belief systems that are 180 degrees from the rest of the family.

Several years ago I did have an old college friend who did the "I can't be friends with you anymore on Facebook because you're an evil conservative" and unfriended me.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager


vjallen75
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:13 am
Location: HEB

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#6

Post by vjallen75 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:50 pm

I haven't lost any family members over this election. I do see some of my friends on facebook a little differently though. They try to blast you with what they think are "facts." I have come close to unfollowing them just so I am not tempted to have a keyboard war. I have said things before but decided against it because it typically goes nowhere and I'm not for one to have a debate on facebook. I've texted them after to at least say even though we have different viewpoint I am still a friend to him (been friends since high school) and he tried to continue the conversation through text. I find it mostly comical now to go on facebook and see what they post. One friend thinks the republican answer to Obamacare will be another Affordable Care Act in different clothing.

All in all, people can have different viewpoints as long as it doesn't become more than just a discussion, which is extremely hard to do at times. I would never throw away friendship or family because of politics. I am not naïve enough to believe that everyone must agree.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.


bdgyeah
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#7

Post by bdgyeah » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Most of my extended family lives in Wisconsin. Back when Scott Walker was running for his recall re-election, I was texting the aunt I've been closest to my whole life. We even share the same birthday. During a fun (or I thought) back and forth text session, I texted her, "Scott Walker is the best Governor ever!" I got no reply and never heard from her since.

Over this last Christmas, I heard that she had disinvited some cousins of mine, from Christmas Eve dinner, because they were supporting the Don. Impossible to reason with liberals.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8399
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#8

Post by Abraham » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Yes, to a friend who I was chagrined to find both he and his wife are very liberal. He's an ex-LEO (Houston detective), city manager, and one time Game Warden.

We were pals for years, but we lost touch for many years too.

We re-connected.

Over a few beers, I was extolling the virtues of conservatism without being evangelical, only to discover they loved Obama. To put it mildly I was bowled over...

Now, he and his wife won't speak to me.

It feels like I lost family...


JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 825
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#9

Post by JRG » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 pm

I haven't lost anyone, but do have a metrosexual nephew in Tucson that has said today is the darkest day in American history. O brother, get over it!!

Joe


Topic author
Mxrdad
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#10

Post by Mxrdad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:40 pm

vjallen75 wrote: One friend thinks the republican answer to Obamacare will be another Affordable Care Act in different clothing.
Yep, there is nothing affordable in the so-called Affordable Care Act. I am a small business owner that was paying $ 1,200 per month for health care; which covers my wife and I. That's it, no dependents. We got quotes for renewal in November 2016 and the cost went up to $ 1,400 per month. And that's for the lowest tier coverage they provide. If we wanted better coverage, it would have been $ 2,400 per month. The only folks this was affordable for were the ones with no job and riding the train for free.

And they wonder why they call it a disaster? Those folks got free health care, and better coverage than folks like us paying for it. And those Liberals think they have reason to be upset? Socialism is the devil's work and needs to go away, forever.
Finally woke up.......... Proud NRA Life member.
Proud member of TSRA as well.

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#11

Post by KLB » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Religion and politics are poor conversation topics. There's a lot more to the world to talk about. And when some pink starts ranting, I hold my tongue and look for a chance to change the subject.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25649
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#12

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:02 pm

I've been fortunate enough not to lose any family members, although most of them would disagree with me on most issues. I am certain I've probably been "un-followed" on Facebook by a few people, as I have expressed strongly held views on many occasions, challenging democrats among my friends to refute - which logic, not talking points - some of the things I've posted. But I am proud to say that I have not unfollowed anyone. People are entitled to be wrong, and they have a right to my opinion in the matter. LOL
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.


Topic author
Mxrdad
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#13

Post by Mxrdad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:04 pm

KLB wrote:Religion and politics are poor conversation topics. There's a lot more to the world to talk about. And when some pink starts ranting, I hold my tongue and look for a chance to change the subject.
I agree, but some folks don't even get to that level, they just shut you out like mine did. No discussion whatsoever. I can (and sometimes enjoy depending on what mood I'm in at the moment) debate either subject without getting bent out of shape. A debate can be very informative if both parties are open minded and keep it civil.
Finally woke up.......... Proud NRA Life member.
Proud member of TSRA as well.


Topic author
Mxrdad
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#14

Post by Mxrdad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:14 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:I've been fortunate enough not to lose any family members, although most of them would disagree with me on most issues. I am certain I've probably been "un-followed" on Facebook by a few people, as I have expressed strongly held views on many occasions, challenging democrats among my friends to refute - which logic, not talking points - some of the things I've posted. But I am proud to say that I have not unfollowed anyone. People are entitled to be wrong, and they have a right to my opinion in the matter. LOL
Good on you for not stooping to the level of Unfriending anyone and taking the high road, good stuff. Losing a friend over something so silly reminds me of a saying my Dad once told me; "If you loan a friend $ 20.00 and you never hear from them again, it was probably worth it". I will never understand family members taking such a strong stance over politics. You only have 1 family, like it or not.

Now as far as opinions, its like I tell my wife," If I want your opinion, I'll give you one". Just kidding! I really don't do that. I am rather fond of some of my body parts and choose to keep them attached!!!
Finally woke up.......... Proud NRA Life member.
Proud member of TSRA as well.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25649
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Casualty of War (Election)

#15

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Mxrdad wrote:
KLB wrote:Religion and politics are poor conversation topics. There's a lot more to the world to talk about. And when some pink starts ranting, I hold my tongue and look for a chance to change the subject.
I agree, but some folks don't even get to that level, they just shut you out like mine did. No discussion whatsoever. I can (and sometimes enjoy depending on what mood I'm in at the moment) debate either subject without getting bent out of shape. A debate can be very informative if both parties are open minded and keep it civil.
I think the bottom line is, do you love them or not? I love my brothers, my mother, and my cousins. I loved them back when we were ALL wrong on the issues, and I continue to love them after I changed, and they are, for the most part, still wrong on the issues. I even talk politics and religion with them. We end up agreeing to disagree, and please pass the wine. How about those Cowboys?
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”