Need a good cowboy hat

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Need a good cowboy hat

Post by cmgee67 »

Guys it's been years since I purchased an actually dress cowboy hat because all I wear are the straw hats and I am wanting to purchase a nice black felt hat. Since it's been years does anybody have any good reccomendations?

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Need a good cowboy hat

Post by jb2012 »

If you aren't getting a custom hat, I'd say American is the only way to go. If you want a custom, I had one made by Warbonnet Hatworks and I'm really happy with it.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Not sure where you're located, but when I want one, I go to the Resistol factory outlet store in Garland.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/04/21/welc ... n-garland/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Resistol or Stetson for a non custom hat. Buy at least 10 X for a decent hat, 100 to 200 X for a top of the line custom.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Is the "unwritten rule" still straw in summer and felt in winter?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Not cheap, but http://texashatters.com. The hat in my avatar was made by them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I'm only 30 mins from Garland. I may go check their outlet out! Also I will look at Texas hatters as well. And yes I think the unwritten rule is still straw in the summer and felt in the winter but I have been wearing straw year round and I do believe my head would appreciate a little bit warm hat

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

cmgee67 wrote:Guys it's been years since I purchased an actually dress cowboy hat because all I wear are the straw hats and I am wanting to purchase a nice black felt hat. Since it's been years does anybody have any good reccomendations?

I used to sell hats and you can't go wrong with either a Stetson or Resistol
They are both made in the same factory in Garland, as are Larry Mahan, and other lower quality hats.
Depending on your intention, the higher the Beaver felt count, designated by the number of x's the softer the hat will be.
If you plan to only wear it as a very dressy hat, go with the higher numbers. If it will also be worn around less dressy occasions, you can save money by going with the lower x's. I still have a 10x that I bought 20 years ago, and with a little brushing ( I just use an old sock on my hand) it looks new.
My silverbelly is 200x and it only comes out for dress up affairs.
Pm me and I can meet you in the DFW area. I'll even crease it to your specs.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

If you'd like something special, I got my custom Stetson 10X from these guys, a very nice hat.

http://www.knudsenhats.com/home.html
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

I have worn a felt hat year around all my life. A custom hat maker in Fort Davis where I had some of my hats made told me this about hats. X designations on the hat originally meant how much rabbit fur was in the blend to make a hat stay together due to the velcro type attributes of the fur. It takes at least 5% rabbit fur to make it stay together and this constituted a 20x hat, any more rabbit fur would be a lesser X number. Any more X designation than 20 on a hat (such as 100X) is meant to reflect how much stoning or smoothing of the surface was done. Still the same makeup of a 20X hat but smoother surface of hat as number of X's goes up.
The materials in the hat are still the same and price is higher due to stoning but it is not a better grade hat. For more X's than 20 you just pay more for stoning and it does not constitute a better hat.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I was told the high the X the better grade of fur they mix( mink chinchilla beaver buffalo) and less rabbit. You will find the higher grade hats are more soft, supple and plyable.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Jusme wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Guys it's been years since I purchased an actually dress cowboy hat because all I wear are the straw hats and I am wanting to purchase a nice black felt hat. Since it's been years does anybody have any good reccomendations?

I used to sell hats and you can't go wrong with either a Stetson or Resistol
They are both made in the same factory in Garland, as are Larry Mahan, and other lower quality hats.
Depending on your intention, the higher the Beaver felt count, designated by the number of x's the softer the hat will be.
If you plan to only wear it as a very dressy hat, go with the higher numbers. If it will also be worn around less dressy occasions, you can save money by going with the lower x's. I still have a 10x that I bought 20 years ago, and with a little brushing ( I just use an old sock on my hand) it looks new.
My silverbelly is 200x and it only comes out for dress up affairs.
Pm me and I can meet you in the DFW area. I'll even crease it to your specs.
Stetson or Resistol depending on your head...lol. For round oval, go Stetson, long oval, go Resistol...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jb2012 »

Straws straws after easter, felts after Labor Day.

Tass

Post by Tass »

If you are in Houston, The Hat Store (Richmond at Chimney Rock) is the place to go.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up"

Return to “Off-Topic”