Despite High Ratings, ABC Cancels Trump-Friendly Sitcom 'Last Man Standing'

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Despite High Ratings, ABC Cancels Trump-Friendly Sitcom 'Last Man Standing'

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Another loss in the culture wars.......

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16317/des ... john-nolte
Even though it had been dumped on Friday nights, the Tim Allen sitcom Last Man Standing enjoyed ratings that Deadline describes as "very respectable for any night and especially Friday[.]" Every week, the half-hour comedy, one of the very few aimed to appeal to America's heartland, won its time-slot in the all-important demo, including 6.4 million overall same-day viewers. Deadline further adds that "[w]hile most returning shows were down year-to-year 20-30%, LMS was virtually flat, off just by 5% in total viewers and adults 18-49[.]"

Those are very impressive numbers for a show that has been around for six full seasons.

But that is not all!

Last Man Standing was ABC's Friday anchor, meaning a show that could not only be counted on to win the night but one that kept viewers tuned in to whatever shows came after. Anchors are also crucially important when it comes to launching new shows.

---------SNIP---------

Weird how ABC was totally comfortable doing for the left-wing Modern Family exactly what it wouldn't do for a show that appeals to the other half of the country.
Modern Family's ratings were only a little bit higher than Last Man Standing's ratings. LMS is the one sit-com that arguably represents the values of most of the folks who live more than 100 miles from the east or west coasts.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Despite High Ratings, ABC Cancels Trump-Friendly Sitcom 'Last Man Standing'

Post by Flightmare »

I was so disappointed when I found out about this a few days ago. I had JUST finished watching the last of season 6 a few weeks ago. Maybe we get lucky and Amazon or Netflix picks it up.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

Flightmare wrote:I was so disappointed when I found out about this a few days ago. I had JUST finished watching the last of season 6 a few weeks ago. Maybe we get lucky and Amazon or Netflix picks it up.
It's on Netflix. We tried to watch it the other night and just couldn't get past the corn. We're elderly.

rentz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rentz »

Was one of my favorite shows, hope someone picks it up.
It was "on the bubble" every year because abc doesn't own and produce it the show ends up costing them more than others....but I assume that also makes it easier to go to another medium with it

philip964

Post by philip964 »

From what I saw it was wining Friday night. Seems strange to cut a winner.

Unless you don't like the conservative views of its star.

Disney is also losing money with ESPN due to the liberal views of its sports commentators of all things.

Odd that a corporation would put politics above making money.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Does anyone else find it ironic how the pendulum swings in that a network (CBS) cancelled "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" in 1969 for being too liberal, nee progressive in today's terms?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I have to believe a big part of the love affair with all things regressive/progressive for so many now is the hideous result of leftist academia.

All of us are now being affected by it's cancerous growth in all aspects of culture be it entertainment, or what have you.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic how the pendulum swings in that a network (CBS) cancelled "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" in 1969 for being too liberal, nee progressive in today's terms?
I hadn't thought about that, but it's an interesting comment. But in that case, the show was cancelled because it was out of synch with how everyday viewers thought and acted. In the case of Last Man Standing, the show was canceled because it was out of synch with how Hollywood and the Left (but I repeat myself) think and act. The former decision was viewer centric; the latter one was Hollywood centric. Basically, it means that they don't give a thimble of old sweat for what their audience wants, and only cares about what they can force their audience to accept.

.......which is one reason why I almost never watch regular network programming anymore. The don't like people like me; they don't care if people like me stop watching. They are playing for their own echo chamber. I say, let 'em........they just contribute to their own irrelevance. My main objection at this point is that they are using the airwaves - which allegedly belong to The People - in order to insult our intelligence. But then, they are regulated by politicians and bureaucrats who insult our intelligence 24/7/365, so maybe I'm being unrealistic in my expectations.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic how the pendulum swings in that a network (CBS) cancelled "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" in 1969 for being too liberal, nee progressive in today's terms?
I hadn't thought about that, but it's an interesting comment. But in that case, the show was cancelled because it was out of synch with how everyday viewers thought and acted. In the case of Last Man Standing, the show was canceled because it was out of synch with how Hollywood and the Left (but I repeat myself) think and act. The former decision was viewer centric; the latter one was Hollywood centric. Basically, it means that they don't give a thimble of old sweat for what their audience wants, and only cares about what they can force their audience to accept.

.......which is one reason why I almost never watch regular network programming anymore. The don't like people like me; they don't care if people like me stop watching. They are playing for their own echo chamber. I say, let 'em........they just contribute to their own irrelevance. My main objection at this point is that they are using the airwaves - which allegedly belong to The People - in order to insult our intelligence. But then, they are regulated by politicians and bureaucrats who insult our intelligence 24/7/365, so maybe I'm being unrealistic in my expectations.......
There were viewer complaints about certain skits on the The Smother's Brothers Comedy Hour to be certain, but they were constantly at odds with the CBS censors who were directed by Paley and it was his decision to can them. Television is the new method of brainwashing, from sitcoms that portray the father figure as knee jerk reactionary, imbeciles to current portrayals of alternative lifestyles as the norm. One of the members of TSBCH was Mason Williams, who's famous for composing and performing the instrumental "Classical Gas" and who testified before a congressional committee on the state of television is also known for his quote "I don't watch television, I keep an eye on it"! Since many of the previous administration have such close ties to TV network, news and media heads I agree with him. They have taken it to a new height.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

#TINVOWOOT

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

TAM: That is one of my favorite clips from the show.

allisji

Post by allisji »

I've never seen nor have any recollection of hearing about this show, but I always liked Tim the Toolman Taylor. Hopefully I can find some re-runs to record to my DVR so that I too can be offended that the show is being cancelled.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

allisji wrote:I've never seen nor have any recollection of hearing about this show, but I always liked Tim the Toolman Taylor. Hopefully I can find some re-runs to record to my DVR so that I too can be offended that the show is being cancelled.
There are MANY references to Home Improvement on the show. If you look closely at his tools, they're all Binford brand.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Have never watched the show, but after seeing that clip I imagine the show frequently caused gastric distress among the snowflakes, both young and old, at ABC.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Off-Topic”