Alice Cooper? You've Got to Be Kidding!!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Alice Cooper? You've Got to Be Kidding!!

Post by apvonkanel »

Vincent Furnier is, from all accounts, a loving brother in the Lord. He spends more time in acts of charity these days than he does in character as Alice Cooper. Many of us had wild days as a teen and young adult, his just happened to be recorded. Having always been a fan of hard rock, Alice cooper has been in rotation for me most of my life, especially since I found out that the antics, makeup, and shenanigans have simply been a character act since the mid 80's. Also, he tends to shy away from public statements of politics, not wanting to interfere with his brand of rock. But I have to say it was pretty great when he stated that Linda Ronstadt and Don Henley's support of Kerry in '04 should be enough reason for any rock'n'roller to vote for Bush.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Apostle Paul once was Saul
It's why "Love the Sinner; Hate the Sin"

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

NotRPB wrote: "Love the Sinner; Hate the Sin"
Where do people get that from, what biblical reference? I hear that stated a lot but wondering what it's based on.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

mrvmax wrote:
Where do people get that from, what biblical reference? I hear that stated a lot but wondering what it's based on.
Where in the bible it says we to hate people? Sin is sin and leads to separation from God. We do not know and cannot know people's true hearts. Plus, the entire Christian principle is based upon love for one another just a Christ loved the church. If you focus your hate towards the person, you'll are condemning them even though God still loves them and may in the future or has redeemed them.

As pointed out before, Saul became Paul. Saul was a much worse guy than who was portrayed as Alice Cooper. One thing I do not like it's that a guy that knew better was perpetuating a negative image and cashing in on it. However, God can forgive him and recognize him as a changed man, shouldn't I?

Thinking this out of the religion arena, I know some non-Christians that have made great changes I their lives and have become people of great character after being some reality bad people for a long time. Should I continue to hate them or should I hate what they did?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

mrvmax wrote:
Origin is not Biblical:
It’s from St. Augustine. His Letter 211 (c. 424) contains the phrase Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum, which translates roughly to "With love for mankind and hatred of sins." The phrase has become more famous as "love the sinner but hate the sin" or "hate the sin and not the sinner" (the latter form appearing in Mohandas Gandhi’s 1929 autobiography).
https://www.catholic.com/qa/who-said-lo ... te-the-sin
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Until about 10 minutes ago, you could have given me a Barrett 50, put him at 1,500 yards and told me I had one legal shot and I would have been a happy man.
Chas.
There was a period in my life where you would probably have felt the same way about me.

Thank God for grace.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TVGuy »

Yes, he is a bit of an enigma. He's also an avid golfer (and a pretty good one). Also not something one would expect.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

mojo84 wrote:
mrvmax wrote:
Where in the bible it says we to hate people? Sin is sin and leads to separation from God. We do not know and cannot know people's true hearts. Plus, the entire Christian principle is based upon love for one another just a Christ loved the church. If you focus your hate towards the person, you'll are condemning them even though God still loves them and may in the future or has redeemed them.

As pointed out before, Saul became Paul. Saul was a much worse guy than who was portrayed as Alice Cooper. One thing I do not like it's that a guy that knew better was perpetuating a negative image and cashing in on it. However, God can forgive him and recognize him as a changed man, shouldn't I?

Thinking this out of the religion arena, I know some non-Christians that have made great changes I their lives and have become people of great character after being some reality bad people for a long time. Should I continue to hate them or should I hate what they did?

I will add, I think it has become an overused cliche'.

https://www.gotquestions.org/love-sinner-hate-sin.html
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon May 22, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

bblhd672 wrote:
mrvmax wrote:
Origin is not Biblical:
It’s from St. Augustine. His Letter 211 (c. 424) contains the phrase Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum, which translates roughly to "With love for mankind and hatred of sins." The phrase has become more famous as "love the sinner but hate the sin" or "hate the sin and not the sinner" (the latter form appearing in Mohandas Gandhi’s 1929 autobiography).
https://www.catholic.com/qa/who-said-lo ... te-the-sin
I will have to disagree that there are no biblical references. While the exact wording may not be there, there are many references where Jesus loved the sinner, but not the sin. Matthew the tax collector; the woman being stoned for adultery, the Samaritan woman at the well. This is just a few that come to mind when I think about the statement "Love the sinner, hate the sin".

I heard that Alice Cooper had actually converted when I was still in high school, I never confirmed it, but that information made me realize there is always more to someone than meets the eye. Perfect example of not judging a book by its cover too. Do I still make judgement's on outward appearances, unfortunately I do, no one is perfect except Jesus.

:txflag:
NRA Life Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:At my age, it's not often that I read or hear something that absolutely blows me away. Tonight was such an event.

Comcast is our Internet provider and their version of music channels is Music Choice. While researching a topic, I was listening to Music Channel's Solid Gold Oldies when I heard a song from The Lettermen. I then got on YouTube to find more of their songs and stumbled across an interview with Alice Cooper. Now I have to admit that I've hated Alice Cooper from the moment I first saw and heard him sing. Until about 10 minutes ago, you could have given me a Barrett 50, put him at 1,500 yards and told me I had one legal shot and I would have been a happy man. Oh how wrong I was about this man.

Chas.

I read up on him years ago when I was investigating his association with Frank Zappa. My opinion wasn't quite as low as yours, primarily because he like Zappa abstained from drugs. I knew he was raised in the church and the background of his father and grandfather. Cooper is a great example of the importance of a foundation of faith that so many of our youth are missing. He also a very good golfer with a 5.3 handicap. Now if we can just get him to the shooting range. :fire
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

puma guy wrote: Now if we can just get him to the shooting range. :fire
"Hey Alice, this is Ted Nugent. What are you doing tomorrow?" :biggrinjester:

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Brian Welch, too:

Since that video was made, he's re-joined Korn. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that, if anything. By all* the accounts I've heard, he spends his post-show time witnessing to fans, which is great. Some of those lyrics, though... Well, I don't know what lead him to rejoin, and I guess it's between him and God anyway. I remember back when I was a kid, one of the students asked the youth pastor if it was sinful for an actor to swear if he or she was just reading their lines (IIRC, the answer was more or less "I don't know"). I'd imagine Welch is/was in a somewhat similar situation.

*That makes it sound like I've gone out of my way to research the guy or something. Really, it's just that every so often I come across an article about him doing that.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

TreyHouston wrote:I've liked him ever since his appearance and Wayne's world ! But im just weird!
We're not worthy! Were not worthy! :smilelol5:

He and his band had a great portrayal in the HBO series Vinyl...(great series, but very R rated).

I didn't know he was a committed Christian, but good for him.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

mrvmax wrote:
While it's not a statement from Scripture, Christ said very clearly that loving your neighbor was second only to loving God himself. There is NO qualifier on the word translated as "neighbor" (πλησίον). In the Greek it means plainly those nearby. With the improvements in communication and travel, the word "neighbor" covers substantially more than it used to.
He also said to "love your enemy" (hostile). He gave no qualifications, exceptions, or caveats. Odd how so many forget that part. and it's not those hostile towards you. It's anyone that with whom hostility is involved, whether coming from them or ourselves. Essentially, if you don't love them, you need to love them.

So while the adage of "Love the sinner, hate the sin" isn't a direct quote from Holy Scripture, I believe that any Christian (if you don't believe the Bible, this isn't relevant to you) that's disputing it's validity as a scriptural principal should probably go back and review the red letters. And the rest of the gospel accounts. And the Epistles. Go ahead and throw in the Acts of the Apostles and the Revelation of John. While you're at it, might as well start at the beginning. Probably better that way.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

:iagree:
Principle based upon these precepts, and other verses

Hate the sin

Psalm 97:10 Let those who love the LORD hate evil http://biblehub.com/psalms/97-10.htm

Love the sinner
Jesus came not for those who were righteous (anyone who could already save themselves), but to save the sinner
Mark 2:17 http://biblehub.com/mark/2-17.htm I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Luke 5:32 http://biblehub.com/luke/5-32.htm I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luke 19:10 http://biblehub.com/luke/19-10.htm For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost."

If I am a sinner, and He came for me, the other sinners He came for are my brothers in Christ.

1 John 4:20 http://biblehub.com/1_john/4-20.htm << (Pick any version)
If a man says, I love God, and hates his brother, he is a liar: for he that loves not his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

Hadn't logged in in a while to respond until now, I have inguinal hernia surgery in the morning,taking care of all loose ends I can today.

Return to “Off-Topic”