Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Post by RoyGBiv »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:42 am https://w5wx.net/2018/12/28/texas-legislature-sb43/

Couldn't find a better post to put this under. Looks like Senator Zaffirini has filed a bill that would change the "texting while driving" law to outlaw ham radio operation while the vehicle is in motion. This would definitely affect Skywarn storm spotters/chasers.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll share with our local teams as well as the folks at National Weather Service in FTW.

ETA: I wonder whether Skywarn/RACES would fall under the "authorized emergency... vehicle" exemption.
Last edited by RoyGBiv on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mojohn
Posts in topic: 7

Post by mojohn »

Thanks for the head's up. I'm sharing with my ARES members.

John
KF5ZMD

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

As I read the proposed bill, it is a defense to prosecution if one used a hands free device, and in the bill it defines a hands free device as including a push-to-talk function. Since almost all mobile vhf/uhf ham radios art PTT, we are not really affected.

However, this is an onerous bill which could have far-reaching unintended consequences. I am writing my Senator.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 15

Post by bblhd672 »

Why do Demonrats have to meddle in everything and why do they hate freedom so much?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 11

Post by NotRPB »

oohrah wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am As I read the proposed bill, it is a defense to prosecution if one used a hands free device, and in the bill it defines a hands free device as including a push-to-talk function. Since almost all mobile vhf/uhf ham radios art PTT, we are not really affected.

However, this is an onerous bill which could have far-reaching unintended consequences. I am writing my Senator.
.. a handsfree PTT foot switch fits that description ... :confused5

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KC5AV »

2farnorth wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:15 am
Flightmare wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:42 am https://w5wx.net/2018/12/28/texas-legislature-sb43/

Couldn't find a better post to put this under. Looks like Senator Zaffirini has filed a bill that would change the "texting while driving" law to outlaw ham radio operation while the vehicle is in motion. This would definitely affect Skywarn storm spotters/chasers.
This bill is aimed specifically at federally licensed operators. Striking out the current exemption the way I read it. Why? What has she got against us? Another democrat that wants to control every aspect of her subjects lives.
All radio dispatched non emergency services would be affected, Truckers underway with their CBs would be affected also. i don't like much of what I hear on a CB, but it does serve a good purpose.
I can see truck drivers across the start engaging in some malicious compliance, and stopping in the middle of the road every time they key the mic. Enforcement of this law would quickly come to a halt.
NRA lifetime member

MustangGlocker
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MustangGlocker »

RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks for the heads up. I'll share with our local teams as well as the folks at National Weather Service in FTW.

ETA: I wonder whether Skywarn/RACES would fall under the "authorized emergency... vehicle" exemption.

Hey Roy. I'm a member of the NWS radio desk team. I have a meeting with them tomorrow and can also bring this up with the team.

Thanks
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 13

Post by RoyGBiv »

MustangGlocker wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:44 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:49 am

Hey Roy. I'm a member of the NWS radio desk team. I have a meeting with them tomorrow and can also bring this up with the team.

Thanks
Excellent!

I passed it on to my contact at the weather service yesterday.

I don't see this bill passing into law, but my crystal ball is pawn shop quality. Best to be vigilant.

Thanks.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”