DFW West/Southwest Quadrant Breakfast

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 69

Re: DFW West/Southwest Quadrant Breakfast

Post by Jusme »

strogg wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:42 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:06 pm
surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:16 pm Today's Weatherford breakfast crowd = 4 of us: Excaliber, Jusme, hackjob, and myself.

We missed the rest of you folks.

Reminders: The next breakfast for the Dallas side of DFW will be Saturday, May 10, 2019 at Rudy's BBQ, northbound Dallas Parkway, just north of Main St, in Frisco, Collin County. Open carry is fine.

The next breakfast for the Fort Worth side of DFW will be Saturday, May 17, 2019 at Rudy's BBQ, 451 I-20, in Arlington. Open carry is fine.

SIA
Hit the range this morning for an opportunity to shoot pistols on moving targets. It was FUN!

You might want to check your calendar, or you may have to change your name to "surprise_I'm_here_on_the_wrong_date" :biggrinjester:
I ended up spending today celebrating this fine date with a smoke. Well, of meat. In a smoker. It's still in there, actually. I have some juicy short ribs slowly but surely getting up to temperature for dinner tonight.

Next month I'll definitely be at both Rudy's locations barring unforeseen circumstances.

What time is dinner? I also noticed you didn't provide an address, it's almost like you weren't wanting a large number of TexasCHL.com members showing up! :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Just an update, I stopped by Triple C range in Cresson on my way home from the breakfast this morning. First impressions: you have to drive a long way at 15mph down a dirt road ( about 2.5 miles) the drive is through some very beautiful country. I saw a large herd of longhorns, some wild turkeys, bluebonnets, rolling hills, great looking stock tanks, and other scenery. They have a 2000 yard range set inside a natural three sided Swale, a 1000 yard range, a 600 yard range, that has some old cars as targets, a small but we'll stocked pro shop, and pistol bays, where you can draw from a holster and set up multiple targets.
Here is their website: https://www.triplecrange.com

The set ups seem somewhat primitive, and they don't have actual " instructors" on staff. I got the impression, that it was reliant upon big boy rules. I did not actually stop at all of the areas to get an up close and personal impression. The longer ranges, are on the way to the office/pro shop.
They offer no classes themselves, but have associates, that use their range for classes.
Their prices start at $25 per day which only gives you access to the pistol range.
Memberships start at $50 per month, which also only gives you limited access.

The area is some of the best looking country I've seen in a while, the prices, are a little steep, for my tastes, and they don't have ( at least I didn't see any) range supervision at the longer ranges.
Range membership does get you gate access codes, if they are closed, or you get there before they open. Plan on spending at least 30 minutes, just driving to and from the front gate. My visit was short, and I don't want to give a false impression, of the place. I'm not a long range shooter, so I may not be the best person to give a fair review.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 64
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Thank you bitterclinger for pointing out my faux pas.

In the above notice of the 2 upcoming DFW breakfasts, they are both on Saturdays at 800 AM, but the correct dates are:
Frisco, 5/11/19.
Arlington, 5/18/19.

I guess I was previously consulting a metric calendar. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 62

Post by Excaliber »

I found a new open carry friendly breakfast cafe for our western division meetings:

Manny's Cafe
4019 Fort Worth Hwy
Hudson Oaks, TX 76087

It's a small cafe located in the David's Stove Shop building on the north side of westbound I20 at Mikus Road. There is minimal signage for the cafe, so look for David's Stove Shop which is easy to spot. The cafe entrance faces the road near the west end of the building by the windmill displays. (It can also be reached by going through the main stove shop entrance when that opens at 9 AM.) The cafe opens at 7:00. Staff advised they would be glad to have us and open carry is not an issue with them. It's also a bit closer for the folks coming from the main DFW area.

From I20 west, take Exit 415. It is just past the first traffic light (Mikus Road) on the right.

From I20 east, take Exit 415 and make a left at the light at Mikus Road, go under the highway, and turn left onto the westbound service road.

Our next west division breakfast is scheduled for June 15. Would you folks like to give this location a try?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Lena
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lena »

Just wish some of the eastern folks like to meet and eat also, like east of Dallas...
Stay Safe

strogg
Posts in topic: 35

Post by strogg »

I like trying out new places like that. Count me in.

Hack Job
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Hack Job »

Excaliber wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:42 pm
Manny's Cafe
Sounds good.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Works for me

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 65

Post by bblhd672 »

This weekend I saw a new Rudy's BBQ being built in Burleson on corner of I-35 and Highway 1187. Another option for rotating our meetings.

Between work and security class commitments on Saturdays last few weeks I haven't been able to attend breakfast.
I won't be able to make June 15th breakfast, my daughter and her family will be visiting from St. Louis that weekend. Also will miss July 20th breakfast due to being scheduled to work that weekend. The Mrs. and I hope to see everyone in August!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Blackhorse1
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Blackhorse1 »

as a newbie to this site I will try to be there and meet up with you all that attend. I like to make new friends. Especially ones that could have my back one day. I used to go there on Saturday mornings to meet up with car buddies, but they quit meeting there for whatever reason. I think I might enjoy this. :txflag: :fire
:txflag: likes: burning rubber and screaming women

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Blackhorse1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:28 am as a newbie to this site I will try to be there and meet up with you all that attend. I like to make new friends. Especially ones that could have my back one day. I used to go there on Saturday mornings to meet up with car buddies, but they quit meeting there for whatever reason. I think I might enjoy this. :txflag: :fire
You would be most welcome!

I hope to see you there on the 15th. We meet at 08:00.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

bblhd672 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:25 pm This weekend I saw a new Rudy's BBQ being built in Burleson on corner of I-35 and Highway 1187. Another option for rotating our meetings.

Between work and security class commitments on Saturdays last few weeks I haven't been able to attend breakfast.
I won't be able to make June 15th breakfast, my daughter and her family will be visiting from St. Louis that weekend. Also will miss July 20th breakfast due to being scheduled to work that weekend. The Mrs. and I hope to see everyone in August!
They are also building a Hard 8 BBQ (almost finished) I don't know if they do breakfast, but they make good BBQ once they open, and after I have eaten as much as I can, I'll check with them on a possible meet up, if not for breakfast, maybe a lunch, after a range trip. :anamatedbanana

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 64
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Count me in for the new place in Hudson Oaks on June 15.

Although they are cool with open carry, I'll try to restrain myself and will not bring an RPG. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:20 pm Count me in for the new place in Hudson Oaks on June 15.

Although they are cool with open carry, I'll try to restrain myself and will not bring an RPG. :-)

SIA
Good call - the place is a bit small for that.

:lol:
Excaliber

Terry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Terry »

Question. Are absolute noobs welcome to these things? We're talking *I've shot a gun 4 times in my life and I dont even carry yet* level of noobnes.

Return to “Off-Topic”