Getting older sucks

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Getting older sucks

Post by jmorris »

Well, it's better than the alternative.

I really should have trifocals. I have to take my bifocals off to see the computer screen well. As it happens that's about front sight distance so I take them off at the range.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

My opthamologist set my bifocal contacts so I can better focus on my front sight with my right eye. Not worth spit for reading but reading glasses handles that. He understood my request since he is a shooter.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

WifeGBiv has contacts done that way.
After an initial adjustment period, she's happy with this combination.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rentz

Post by rentz »

I really need to ask about this at my next app. I don't have bifocals but I find it hard i to focus through the glasses sometimes mostly at indoor ranges though the yellow tented safety glasses over my eye glasses did help amp up the light some for focusing

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

My current glasses are progressive. It's taken some months to get used to them in all aspects, but my shooting did improve immediately.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I had glasses made that put a small section of reading bifocal, tuned in on front sight distance, about 3/4 of the way up on the right lens and a very small bifocal on the bottoms so that I would not have to take glasses off to read or write. They work great! I realized I had to do something like this when I was giving a private class to some ladies and I noticed they were holding their chins way up. I made the comment that they too must have progressive. They responded that that is they way the instructor held his head (me). I guess you must really watch what your doing when teaching newbies, they take everything literal because they have nothing to but your actions and teachings to go by.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I had my eyes lasered 10-12 years ago. Distance vision is still around 20/15 - 20/20 ish. I started needing reading glasses for things at about elbow distance around 8 years ago. I'm not doing to bad for 52, but I'm getting a little worried something stupid is going to happen any day/month/year now. For now, I'm not getting older all that quickly. :woohoo
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

On one of my implants, he made an error calculating the curvature. The right eye is better than 20-20. Now known as"eagle eye." Can see the flag on the moon.
TX CHL 1997

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Andy,

I have done the same thing in my quest for the solution to getting old. I am a few months shy of 62 and have worn trifocals for 11 years. When I started shooting pistols again after the 2008 election, I had to find a solution. For street wear, I had quadrifocals made. They are trifocals with the intermediate range (front site length) also in the top of the lenses so that I can put my head down slightly and see my front site. Problem is that now the only lab that made then has stopped. I have worn computer glasses for IDPA matches as it gives a larger field of vision (at front sight length) but I can't see if I am hitting anything and that won't work on the street (I am blind as a bat). So, I had some glasses made as you described several years ago. I will wear them on the street some but prefer my quadrifocals as long as the prescription still works for me. The glasses you describe work well for matches as I can shoot with both eyes open and see the holes in the targets (shooting 200 grain SWC 45 ACP). I don't know if I could see 9 mm holes, have not shot that recently but will try next time I am out to see if I can. Good luck with your glasses experience.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

oljames3 wrote:My current glasses are progressive. It's taken some months to get used to them in all aspects, but my shooting did improve immediately.
Does it hurt to say that? I think I'd go blind before getting used to anything that supports the progressive, leftist, Democrat side.

Oh, you mean progressive lenses...ok, nevermind.

:biggrinjester:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

Vol Texan wrote:
oljames3 wrote:My current glasses are progressive. It's taken some months to get used to them in all aspects, but my shooting did improve immediately.
Does it hurt to say that? I think I'd go blind before getting used to anything that supports the progressive, leftist, Democrat side.

:lol:: :lol::
Thanks! I needed that.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Vol Texan wrote:

I SEE what you did there :lol:: :biggrinjester:

Return to “Off-Topic”