Pastor Wants Presidents’ Names Removed From Washington, Jackson Parks Over Ties To Slavery

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pastor Wants Presidents’ Names Removed From Washington, Jackson Parks Over Ties To Slavery

Post by treadlightly »

carlson1 wrote:What is sad is that people really believe the Civil War was just about slavery.
Here's some information - https://www.civilwar.org/learn/articles ... -secession

More Texas-centric, from the wonderful Handbook of Texas Online - https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onl ... cles/mgs02

If there is any doubt as to the role the slavery question played, consider this shameful quote from The Declaration of Causes which Impel the State of Texas to Secede from the Federal Union, "We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable."

More can be found here - https://www.civilwar.org/learn/primary- ... ates#Texas.

These are all reasons history should not be forgotten. Confederate statues don't glorify anything evil, they guard the memory of something never to be repeated. They must not come down.

Of course, I speak of slavery not to be repeated, not of secession. I'm a patriotic American and fully agree with the Colonies' decision to secede from the Crown. There are very rare circumstances when secession is a moral imperative.

Washington and Jefferson are targets of the modern left. I bet we see a movement to rename Forts Bragg and Hood, and others. The town of Granbury (in Hood County) is named after a Confederate general. The Davis Mountains in West Texas are another double whammy - Confederate President Davis, named in honor of slave holding President Jefferson, tied up in one bundle.

Or maybe we should recognize the blood on both sides of the War Between the States demands the memory be preserved and remain a dark element in our culture.

It was, after all, a completely American war.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pastor Wants Presidents’ Names Removed From Washington, Jackson Parks Over Ties To Slavery

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Conquering armies have always destroyed all remnants of the culture of those being conquered. Much easier to destroy everything associated with the country and march off its men to be slaves in foreign lands than to leave those things in tact to rally the population at some future point. The British were very good at this by moving a countries borders to contain two groups of humans that didn't get along. Destroy the sovereignty of a country, divide them by any means available and their people are much easier to control since their focus is on each other and not those fomenting discord and ruling over them. Those who refuse to be ruled will soon be racists Nazis.

Who's pushing for the destruction of our identity? Whos pushing to divide this nation and destroy our heritage?

Deep State Democrats & Republicans along with their MSM propaganda and liberal indoctrination arm are all in to destroy President Trump and further divide this nation to meet their globalist end game and anyone supporting Trump has now been labelled racist bigots. Anyone resisting the militant arm (antifa, BLM, many others) of the liberal Deep State is labelled a racist. Soon all conservatives will be labelled racists if they make any attempt to save our heritage.

The MSM propaganda arm of the Deep State continues to justify the violence of antifa day after day embolding other mindless zombies to join in. The militant arm of this movement is highly organized and controlled by the Anti American Deep State in every single large city in this country. These acts are not impromptu. They have been planned for a long time.

This is how Communist China and the Soviet Union came to be. This will not end well.
III

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

carlson1 wrote:
Deltaboy wrote:He is no real man of God with that level of Hate in his heart!
Amen!
IMO, "Hate" is a word that has been so over and misused that it no longer has any meaning. For instance: I really HATE moles, gophers, east Texas' summer heat and humidity, fire ants, etc., etc.

I don't hate this racist, anti-American guy who some acknowledge as their preacher. Granted, I don't care for him or his ilk and would not weep if I read where he and his ilk were all hit by a bus and wiped out. Real HATE requires more energy and acknowledgement than I can muster for the likes of him and the lying, self-serving, sniveling rinos in both state and federal government.

Yes, thank you. I will have another cup.

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

ninjabread wrote:When will Houston get rid of their congresswoman named to honor two Confederate generals?
You Win!

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Blindref757 wrote:
ninjabread wrote:When will Houston get rid of their congresswoman named to honor two Confederate generals?
You Win!
:clapping:

KLB

Post by KLB »

OneGun wrote:Where does the lunacy end?
It doesn't, not for the foreseeable future. The progressive goal is to keep us reeling from one radical demand to another for so long that we no longer have the will to resist.

KLB

Post by KLB »

carlson1 wrote:What is sad is that people really believe the Civil War was just about slavery.
It sounds like you were taught the same thing I was in school. Now, however, I regard what I was taught as a regrettable rationalization for an ugly truth. When Texas seceded, it adopted a declaration setting out it's reasons for going so. What better source could there be to ascertain the reason? That declaration makes it clear that secession was ALL about slavery. It's ugly, but we have to deal with it.

That doesn't necessarily mean the statues should come down. Neither does it mean that those who romanticize the South are racists. Ahistoricity and racism are different things.

Plenty of my forebears were Confederate soldiers. I don't think they were bad people. And what motivated individual soldiers like!y often had little to do with the declaration of secession. The war was, as all wars are, a human tragedy. But slavery was the root cause.

That the war was about slavery has a bearing on calls for reparations. If tens of thousands of bodies rotting in fields is not sufficient expiation, whatever could be?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by carlson1 »

KLB wrote:
It sounds like you were taught the same thing I was in school. Now, however, I regard what I was taught as a regrettable rationalization for an ugly truth. When Texas seceded, it adopted a declaration setting out it's reasons for going so. What better source could there be to ascertain the reason? That declaration makes it clear that secession was ALL about slavery. It's ugly, but we have to deal with it.

That doesn't necessarily mean the statues should come down. Neither does it mean that those who romanticize the South are racists. Ahistoricity and racism are different things.

Plenty of my forebears were Confederate soldiers. I don't think they were bad people. And what motivated individual soldiers like!y often had little to do with the declaration of secession. The war was, as all wars are, a human tragedy. But slavery was the root cause.

That the war was about slavery has a bearing on calls for reparations. If tens of thousands of bodies rotting in fields is not sufficient expiation, whatever could be?
Agree to disagree. The war was not just slavery. As someone has already said it was Northern aggression and States rights too.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Citing slavery as the sole cause of the American Civil War is a convenient 'cop out' for those unfamiliar with history and/or those with an agenda of hateful divisiveness.

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bblhd672 »

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

jason812

Post by jason812 »

You just can't make this stuff up.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... 583189001/
Dozens of demonstrators converged under a raised bust of Christopher Columbus in downtown Detroit on Saturday and demanded the monument come down as they protested against white supremacy and a list of perceived affronts to black Detroiters.
Organizers said they were unaware of any Confederate monuments in the city, so were focusing on memorials to other historical figures tied to a white supremacy mind-set.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

If the war was about slavery, why did Lincoln delay the Emancipation Proclamation until the Yankees had a battle victory (Antietam) and why didn't the Emancipation Proclamation free slaves in Yankee states?

I celebrated Juneteenth most of my life, and I still do, but I won't kid myself that Lincoln was a champion of racial equality.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Slavery, along with the election of President Lincoln and states rights, was a root cause of the civil war for the south. For the North Slavery was not the reason for the war as they fought the war to preserve the union of states as they saw it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Can we get this on a billboard somewhere near downtown Houston? :evil2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

philip964

Post by philip964 »

A Christian pastor has failed to forgive.

Return to “Off-Topic”