Local recon needed -Houston

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 5

Local recon needed -Houston

Post by troglodyte »

Our congregation is sending seven trucks and trailers with supplies to a church we are associated with in South Houston. One of our driver's dad is in Conroe. He made the drive to the church this morning and made it with little trouble.

I'm looking for any reports of road conditions through downtown Houston, looters, or other hazards that a seven truck convey may attract driving through downtown Houston or unloading in South Houston.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Local recon needed -Houston

Post by bmwrdr »

I am not actually in Houston but I follow the news since last Friday and here is what I gathered:

1. The drivin conditions have improved so far on I45, most traffic is rescue and emergency vehicles.
2. There were several cases of looting reported but by far not as many as during Kathrina in 2005.
3. Emergency services at still overloaded (911).

If I would drive I would have a backup battery for my cell phone and a car charger. Besides that I would carry and have a spare magazine with me.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Haven't heard of any convoy hijacks. Delivery trucks travel daily throughout the city in quantities probably more than the panhandle area has monthly. Flooding has subsided and most interstates are open with the exception of I-10 on the eastside to Beaumont.
The looting I have heard about is occurring at stores closed due to Harvey. Unfortunately there is always the slight risk of robbery but that happens everywhere.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

Under normal conditions, South Houston has a pretty good police presence... Also under normal conditions, there is a business on College in South Houston, All America Sales, (No affiliation, just a landmark) that installs and sells emergency equipment to surrounding police department, sheriff's, etc. so there would be extra police presence from other jurisdiction, muniipalities, etc. But conditions aren't normal now, and I would be prepared for the worst, just in case. Having said all that, in general it seems that goodwill, and the Texas spirit are in abundance all things considered. Be safe, and may you be blessed in your service to those in need.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I suspect that despite reports of some looting, that crime rates are at an all time low. Houston is NOT New Orleans.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Sounds like we're all getting the same info. I wanted to hear from some like minded folks who have a discerning view on things.

To get to the church we stay on I-45 until the last minute and then it is one stop sign and one red light so we won't be exposed for that long. I'm not anticipating anything happening but will be watching and prepared.

Thanks for the info.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

While HPD is (was?) running at 40% of normal capacity during the storm (people unable to get to work and/or patrol cars flooded), looting was still pretty minimal and I have seen very little info on social media about violence. So, while the previous advice about carrying + cell phone chargers are always good advice (Boy Scouts FTW), I think you'll probably have a smooth experience.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Stick an AK or 2 in each truck. Nah, you are still in Texas
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

What part of South Houston are you talking about? Inside or Outside the Loop (beltway 8)? If you have a more specific area you are heading - aka Friendswood or Pearland, might be helpful, as more specific info could be given on the conditions.

As far as roadways - everything seems to be doing good on the SouthEast side, water receding pretty good - all the major roads are open except as mentioned the portions of I-10 east.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Oh and other than a few reports of looting - and some reports on Facebook of some of the Cajun Navy being fired on, I haven't heard of any issues. Of course, what part of South Houston you are going to will make a big difference for that as well.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Fuel may be a problem if you are not carrying your own.

Everyone here at work reporting long gas lines, empty pumps and price gouging :banghead: :mad5
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

My mistake. The church is located at I-45 & I-10 at Colorado and Weber. I was told South Houston then I got the actual address.

We are prepared, car chargers, UHF radios in every vehicle, several LTCs. We have enough supplies in the trailers to take care of ourselves.

Sounds like our biggest problem may be fuel. We're taking a couple of trailer mounted 100 & 150 gallon bulk fuel tanks but it won't be enough for the convoy if we can't refuel nearby. The Loves out by Conroe says they have fuel and are a priority station to keep getting fuel. I don't know how reliable their supply is but we must go on faith.

Appreciate the help. We leave Friday morning and deliver Saturday morning. I'll check back to see if there is any updates.

I haven't seen many reports but wanted to check with folks that may have a closer vantage point. Appreciate the help.
Talon Firearms Training

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

My kids were able to drive back to Galveston yesterday afternoon from Waco, no problems, found gas at the Buccee's in Waller.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

TXDOT runs https://drivetexas.org, so it has the most recent/accurate highway status you'll probably get.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

CleverNickname wrote:TXDOT runs https://drivetexas.org, so it has the most recent/accurate highway status you'll probably get.
The phone app waze is free and been real helpful for those trying to navigate blocked and flooded street. It is a battery hog though.
Waze relies on user updates, so it can be the most current data available.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Off-Topic”