Take a Knee Updated

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Post by pbwalker »

I don't even watch the NFL anymore. They're within their God given right to protest whatever they want, as wrong and as misguided as they are. On the flip side, I have the God given right to turn off the TV, cancel NFL Sunday Ticket, and never step foot in an NFL stadium again.

I picked up Colorado State football season tickets...it's still about the game in most schools. We'll see if that holds true in the future.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigGuy »

I was recording the game. I usually let it go for a while so I can zip past commercials and half-time. The second I saw them locking arms during the National Anthem rather than place their hands over their hearts, I deleted the recording. I'm done with the NFL. Now of only Arkansas could win a game.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

Also want to thank the OP for the powerful post. Also want to thank treadlightly. Good stuff.

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 7

Post by anygunanywhere »

pbwalker wrote:I don't even watch the NFL anymore. They're within their God given right to protest whatever they want, as wrong and as misguided as they are. On the flip side, I have the God given right to turn off the TV, cancel NFL Sunday Ticket, and never step foot in an NFL stadium again.

I picked up Colorado State football season tickets...it's still about the game in most schools. We'll see if that holds true in the future.
First amendment rights do not exist in the workplace. The first amendment only prevents the government from infringing on those rights. The only reason the entertainers are getting away with it is because it fits their prog agenda. Recall when the Cowboys wanted to honor the slain Dallas officers? They were denied.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

anygunanywhere wrote:
pbwalker wrote:I don't even watch the NFL anymore. They're within their God given right to protest whatever they want, as wrong and as misguided as they are. On the flip side, I have the God given right to turn off the TV, cancel NFL Sunday Ticket, and never step foot in an NFL stadium again.

First amendment rights do not exist in the workplace. The first amendment only prevents the government from infringing on those rights. The only reason the entertainers are getting away with it is because it fits their prog agenda. Recall when the Cowboys wanted to honor the slain Dallas officers? They were denied.
I never called out the 1A. But they are within their right to take a knee, and deal with the repercussions of doing so. And you are right about the reason they are getting away with it. Doesn't change anything I said above.

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I don't consider insulting millions of loyal patriots both dead and living as a right. Denigrating the word right by defining what these losers are doing as such is the same as saying someone has the right to steal or murder.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

anygunanywhere wrote:I don't consider insulting millions of loyal patriots both dead and living as a right. Denigrating the word right by defining what these losers are doing as such is the same as saying someone has the right to steal or murder.
Look, I'll be honest...I served. Am I offended? Nope. Not at all. They're a bunch of whiny, millionaire babies "protesting" this years cause célèbre. Frankly, we as a country have a lot more to be worried about than some sports game. It's a distraction I'm not looking to involve myself with. I'd prefer to focus on something more pressing like the 2A, Tax Reform, etc.

I'm not sure how to address your last sentence...I'm thinking you forgot a :lol: or :biggrinjester: in there because you surly can't be serious? If you are, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

:tiphat:

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I most surly am serious.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

anygunanywhere wrote:I don't consider insulting millions of loyal patriots both dead and living as a right. Denigrating the word right by defining what these losers are doing as such is the same as saying someone has the right to steal or murder.
I support you in spirit, but not quite all the way in practice. Here's why I'm willing to go to the trouble to heckle those jerks while putting up with them at the same time.

Respect is not earned at gunpoint. It is far better for the mass bulk of the country to not want to disrespect America than it is to force respect, because whatever you get by force will be a mix of acquiescence and rebellion, not respect.

High-mindedness aside, I can't believe as much as airtime costs during an NFL football game that owners are content to allow their investment to be used as an employee's bullhorn. It doesn't make sense, particularly when they protest the system that not only lets them use their posteriors for ear muffs, it protects their right to be disgusting - assuming the players are either on their own time or act in accordance with employment expectations.

They are building up a debt they owe the country.

I'm not a big football fan, anyway. Give me a good ol' race, anything where each competitor's greatest challenge is his own limits, and I'm entertained and inspired. Gun matches are like that. Skills brought to bear on weaknesses with finesse, grace besting challenge.

Unless it came up in conversation, I probably wouldn't even notice for a few seasons if football games ceased to be.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

treadlightly wrote: Respect is not earned at gunpoint. It is far better for the mass bulk of the country to not want to disrespect America than it is to force respect, because whatever you get by force will be a mix of acquiescence and rebellion, not respect.
Well said!

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

I'm reminded of Noam Chomsky in these types of conversations (not just this thread, but in conversations I've had with folks in person). I'm not a fan of his, but he's spot on with these two quotes.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."

"You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption."

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

I'm all for freedom of expression and the 1A. I was also taught not to bite the hand that feeds me. Entertainers take a risk when they do something that alienates part of their audience. Time will tell how their gamble plays out, but I for one will not be crying for them if their revenue stream dries up.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Lynyrd wrote:I'm all for freedom of expression and the 1A. I was also taught not to bite the hand that feeds me. Entertainers take a risk when they do something that alienates part of their audience. Time will tell how their gamble plays out, but I for one will not be crying for them if their revenue stream dries up.
You're right, they do have the right to express themselves. But that does not mean that they are exempt from the consequences of that expression. As someone has pointed out earlier, the ratings for the NFL are down from last year, which was down already.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

I am a Viet Nam combat vet, and when the hippies were burning the flag, I supported that 1A right, and I continue to support those same 1A rights today. Vote, vote with your wallet, vote with your participation. But you can't restrict others 1A rights without endangering your own.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Off-Topic”