Clearing Overgrown Land

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
zmcgooga
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:17 am
Location: NE Texas

Clearing Overgrown Land

#1

Post by zmcgooga » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Just found out that our family has had 70 acres of land that no one really knew about until recently and was able to drive out there this last weekend to see what kind of condition it was in.

As expected I could tell other people had been driving around on it, though it's not posted or anything so I figured as much. What really aggravated me was the dumping, it's in an area where a lot of people drive out and just dump trash. There's one relative that's tried putting up a few gates but says they get torn down just as quick as he can put them up. I figure I may be able to set up some game camera's and try to catch licenses plates of vehicles coming and going and maybe turn it into the sheriff after it's posted, though not sure what good it will do.

After getting past the area where it's easy to drive into it's some really good land, mostly pine and white oak thickets and a lot of whitetail and hog signs. Most of it's not accessible my vehicle though there are two main roads that are currently so overgrown you can't drive through. I was able to hack through a good bit with a machete but now I'm looking for some opinions on what's the best way to clear out these roads? I don't have access to a tractor, I thought about getting a brush attachment for my Stihl trimmer and just going at it, but thought someone here might have some better ideas.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#2

Post by Lynyrd » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:39 pm

I've cleared a lot of land, both when I was young, and now in my gray haired years. I don't believe there is any substitute for the right equipment for the job. Maybe you and your family can agree on hiring someone local that has the needed equipment. A small dozer can do wonders for over grown roads in a short amount of time.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2814
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#3

Post by flechero » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm

For the dumpers- there was a place like that around here and they cleared out the gate area and put up a new gate and signs that the area was now under video. It stopped almost immediately.

For clearing and road work- I would either rent a tractor w/brush hog, or dozer or hire it out...

If for just the roads- you can take a weekend & walk with a chain saw and lopping shears and cut it out. It won't be fast or easy, but real work never is. Then rent a sprayer and hit the feed store for brush killer and spray the roads...

Good luck and enjoy that acreage!!


lama
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#4

Post by lama » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:30 pm

I second renting a tractor with is brush hog.

Renting a skidsteer may serve as well if its just the roads you are working to clear and there is nothing more than saplings in the way. You state you got there with a machete so this could work. This will allow you to get closer to the ground and possibly fix high or low spots. However, it will also just push things into a pile rather than cutting/shredding like a brush hog.

DR makes what I believe they call a "Field and Brush Mower" essentially a walk behind brush hog (others make them as well I am sure). I have heard they work ok on small clearing. Though admit to not having any first hand experience.

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#5

Post by warnmar10 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:37 pm

zmcgooga wrote:... I figure I may be able to set up some game camera's and try to catch licenses plates of vehicles coming and going and maybe turn it into the sheriff after it's posted, though not sure what good it will do. ...
I have the same problem on some property we own.

Take a piece of 2x10 lumber a couple of feet long. From one side use a pneumatic nailer to drive ~100, 16penny nails in at all different angles. When you're done, slide your new redneck spike strip into an empty dog food sack or something similar and lay it in one of the tire ruts leading to the dump pile. Position your game camera and wait for the hilarity unfold.

I haven't tried one yet but there are some new game cameras that will email you the images more or less in real time. As for who to call when you get the email image of someone on your property; for fastest response I suggest call the game warden and let them know you think there are poachers on your property. Once again, wait for the hilarity to unfold.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#6

Post by rotor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Craiglist usually has people with bulldozers, etc that can do this for you. Not necessarily cheap but it works. I hire a guy to spray my trails. I also use a DR 20hp tow behind mower and tow with a Polaris sportsman. We had the ATVs already and these mowers are brutes. You can see their stuff on their website, drpower.com. My wife likes to cut new trails and pretty much if you can ride over it with an atv you can cut it down. Much cheaper than a tractor and brush hog. Tractors are wonderful though if you have the spare cash. Our 90 acres is fenced so we don't have the trespass problems. Lots of hogs, deer and other critters. Now if only I could afford some nice thermal image scopes.

As I said, I don't have the trespass problem you have but I have the place fenced and posted. I personally would not put spike strips down as that sounds like a good way to get sued when someone gets hurt.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#7

Post by Lynyrd » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:56 pm

I wouldn't put down nail boards either. You may get someone mad enough to set the place on fire. I have used a Spartan game camera that will send pictures to your phone. They are decent resolution for wild game, but you won't get a license plate number. If you get a picture of tresspassers though, I agree with calling the game warden. Be sure and post signs first. And the old law about purple paint is still valid.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

gtolbert09
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 pm
Location: Flower Mound,Tx

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#8

Post by gtolbert09 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Paint a purple ring around the trees no more than 100 feet apart on the perimeter trees.

Texas PC 30.05
Trespass, section 1, subsection D.

The law requires the following regarding the use of purple paint:

Markings must be:
vertical
at least 8 inches long
at least 1 inch wide
bottom of the mark should be between 3-5 feet above the ground.
Markings can be no more than 100 feet apart in timberland
Markings can be no more than 1,000 feet apart on open land,
They must be in a place visible by those approaching the property.
Trespassing is a Class B misdemeanor in Texas, unless the intruder is
carrying a firearm, which is a Class A misdemeanor.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

User avatar

Pariah3j
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm
Location: Webster

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#9

Post by Pariah3j » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm

warnmar10 wrote:
zmcgooga wrote:... I figure I may be able to set up some game camera's and try to catch licenses plates of vehicles coming and going and maybe turn it into the sheriff after it's posted, though not sure what good it will do. ...
I have the same problem on some property we own.

Take a piece of 2x10 lumber a couple of feet long. From one side use a pneumatic nailer to drive ~100, 16penny nails in at all different angles. When you're done, slide your new redneck spike strip into an empty dog food sack or something similar and lay it in one of the tire ruts leading to the dump pile. Position your game camera and wait for the hilarity unfold.

I haven't tried one yet but there are some new game cameras that will email you the images more or less in real time. As for who to call when you get the email image of someone on your property; for fastest response I suggest call the game warden and let them know you think there are poachers on your property. Once again, wait for the hilarity to unfold.
I agree - document the no trespass signs and new gates thoroughly with dates/times, etc. I would still put out the game cameras in hopes of catching some images of the trespassers and then call the Game Wardens about the possible poaching.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar

Pariah3j
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm
Location: Webster

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#10

Post by Pariah3j » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:49 pm

rotor wrote: As I said, I don't have the trespass problem you have but I have the place fenced and posted. I personally would not put spike strips down as that sounds like a good way to get sued when someone gets hurt.
Might be a good way to flush them out, they trespassed, and are admitting to it so then, you get them charged with the crime. Then you countersue for all of the trash clean up and property damage.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#11

Post by TreyHouston » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:28 pm

gtolbert09 wrote:Paint a purple ring around the trees no more than 100 feet apart on the perimeter trees.

Texas PC 30.05
Trespass, section 1, subsection D.

The law requires the following regarding the use of purple paint:

Markings must be:
vertical
at least 8 inches long
at least 1 inch wide
bottom of the mark should be between 3-5 feet above the ground.
Markings can be no more than 100 feet apart in timberland
Markings can be no more than 1,000 feet apart on open land,
They must be in a place visible by those approaching the property.
Trespassing is a Class B misdemeanor in Texas, unless the intruder is
carrying a firearm, which is a Class A misdemeanor.

I DIDN'T know that, thats good info!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#12

Post by rotor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Pariah3j wrote:
rotor wrote: As I said, I don't have the trespass problem you have but I have the place fenced and posted. I personally would not put spike strips down as that sounds like a good way to get sued when someone gets hurt.
Might be a good way to flush them out, they trespassed, and are admitting to it so then, you get them charged with the crime. Then you countersue for all of the trash clean up and property damage.
We have seen what happens when people set up a trap for people committing minor crimes. Doesn't turn out good for the person setting the trap.


Topic author
zmcgooga
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:17 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#13

Post by zmcgooga » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, unfortunately being in my late 20's with a growing family I don't have a lot of disposable income to hire a dozer or anything. I have looked at renting one of those DR brush trimmers, but I think I'll have to get the larger saplings down my hand first. I like the nail in a bag idea and even thought about digging a slit trench that would catch someone's front-end, but the more reasonable side of me thought like others, probably not the best idea if I want to stay out of legal troubles.

Look's like I'll be doing it mostly by hand, which is fine by me, least at the end of the day I can look back on it and see something I did my hand.

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#14

Post by KLB » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 pm

zmcgooga wrote:I like the nail in a bag idea and even thought about digging a slit trench that would catch someone's front-end, but the more reasonable side of me thought like others, probably not the best idea if I want to stay out of legal troubles.
Your caution is wise. A landowner owes few duties to a trespasser. One of those few is not to intentionally injure him. Work with law enforcement and don't employ self help.

And good luck on not getting the game camera stolen. Life isn't fair.


LTUME1978
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Alvin, TX

Re: Clearing Overgrown Land

#15

Post by LTUME1978 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:13 pm

For a limited budget, putting the saw blade on the trimmer works well. I have an old Stihl trimmer that I put their saw blade on to clear small trees and brush many years ago and it worked very well. Be sure to only use that saw blade with a trimmer that has the handle bars so that you can control it. That blade will go through a small tree like a knife through hot butter and will do the same to your leg if you let it get away from you.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”