VA announces rollout and application process for new Veterans ID Card

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Re: VA announces rollout and application process for new Veterans ID Card

Post by Liberty »

txglock21 wrote:
Liberty wrote:Is there an advantage to having this card over having "VETERAN" printed on our license?
I don't know for sure, but I have had issues with a few places like Home Depot refuse the DL or LTC w/ veteran saying they needed "something" from the military ie..DD214. I know it sounds silly, but maybe it's more "official". :headscratch
I'm just having trouble fitting every thing in my wallet these days. ;-)
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

txglock21
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txglock21 »

Sorry to keep rehashing this thread, but I finally got through and uploaded all the stuff they asked for a couple of weeks ago. They said it was approved and would be processed and sent in about 4 to six weeks. I was just wondering if anyone got it done and if so, have you received your card yet or did you just give up, lol? (I know I still have several weeks to wait.) :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

txglock21 wrote:
Liberty wrote:Is there an advantage to having this card over having "VETERAN" printed on our license?
I don't know for sure, but I have had issues with a few places like Home Depot refuse the DL or LTC w/ veteran saying they needed "something" from the military ie..DD214. I know it sounds silly, but maybe it's more "official". :headscratch
That is just flat out wrong! Talk to a manager next time.

The website crashed before I was able to submit any socs but I would aslo like to know if anyone received a card yet... :totap:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I didn't even know Home Depot gave veteran discounts until my dad and I were in one together. My dad was wearing one of my squadron hats I gave him and they asked him if he was a vet. He said yes, but that it was my hat he was wearing and I was also a vet. They gave us a discount with nothing more than that.

The designation is on my LTC, but not my DL. IIRC, I did renew my DL before my LTC last time and hadn't found my DD-214 yet when I renewed the DL.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

You can go to Lowes and verify your veteran status for future online or in-store purchases.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

txglock21
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txglock21 »

Pawpaw wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm You can go to Lowes and verify your veteran status for future online or in-store purchases.
Thanks, I already did that and have the "My Lowe's" card that I give with each purchase every time. My problem was always at the various Home Depots. It seemed like each store had their own policies regarding the veteran's discount.
I came back to this thread to update that I finally received the official VA card yesterday. They kept telling me my picture was "too fuzzy" and I needed to send a new picture. This happened 3 or 4 times. Finally accepted it Friday and received it yesterday. They actually sent two identical cards. :thumbs2: I don't know how many times I will actually use it, but it was free and I have it if needed. :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

My saga to obtain a veteran's id card continues after more than 6 months. Finally after another photo and the uploading of a copy of my actual discharge certificate (the DD-214 showed only a transfer to Reserves), I may be getting close. What a system...

Update: The card arrived today! Only took 7 months. Besides the discharge copy, a DL copy was needed to add to the CHL copy. Weird.

The card is a strange format. It looks more like a disclaimer for veteran benefits and a promo for VA than an acknowledgement of someone having served. Ah well, nothing much makes sense anymore....

2nd update (3 days after 1st update): Funny, after almost giving up on ever getting a VID Card, I just received a second set! Ok, enough already...

By the way, there's a website called ID.me that can also provide veteran identification for online use (they call it "Troop ID" for the Marine Corps anyway) and they provide a long list of vendors that provide military discounts.
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

Return to “Off-Topic”