My Water Line Burst

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 9

My Water Line Burst

Post by imkopaka »

So you know how it's been reeeeeally cold the last few days? You know how you're supposed to drip your taps when it's that cold?

I dripped my taps and my main line burst anyway. :banghead:

I can't pay for a plumber or contractor to fix it - I've been out of work for 6 months. I'm gonna have to dig it up and fix it myself. I have a little plumbing experience and could figure out anything I don't know, but I have no knowledge when it comes to plumbing codes and laws and stuff. Am I allowed to fix it myself? I'm going to visit city hall tomorrow and ask if there are any municipal codes that would prevent me from doing so, but does anyone have any advice to share now? Do you have to be licensed/certified to do work like this? Does it require an inspection after the fact? Do you need a permit? Has anyone done this before and have experience to share?

More details:
No, it isn't something the city will fix - it's in my backyard halfway between the meter and my house.
No, I can't get insurance to pay for it (not withing some serious negotiating anyway) because I still couldn't afford the deductible.
Yes, I already shut off the water.
It is a metal pipe (presumably copper), not PVC. I've seen it once before while digging for another reason.
Yes, I intend to dig the hole whether or not I'm allowed to fix the pipe.

EDIT: View pictures through my Google Drive here.

EDIT: I've applied a temporary PVC fix that should give me at least another year to acquire the funds to replace the whole line. The line is either iron or galvanized steel and is likely 70 years old. Thanks everyone for your help.
Last edited by imkopaka on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My Water Line Burst

Post by flechero »

Surprising that it burst in the yard, usually they are deep enough. Unless something has changed recently You can fix it- no permit because it's a repair, not an install. (and no permit means no post repair inspection) You don't have to use a licensed plumber to fix your own property.

Check with your church- many have a ministry called "toolbox" or "handyman" made up of contractors who help in situations just like these.

Good luck!

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TreyHouston »

As a pretty good DIY person myself, I do not mess with copper pipe. You require soldering and experience. You may have to reach out to local plumber and Negotiate something. Sucks that happened
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

swilkes
Posts in topic: 6

Post by swilkes »

Shark bite fitting. And pex A lil expensive but easy to do

Two coupling prob 3/4”. A fit of 3/4” pex. Cut out broke section and bend pex into place. The longer the pex the easier to bend and connect. Pretty sure shark bites will fit on Cooper, cpvc, and iron pipe as long as it is not to rusted. I know for a fact it won’t go over pvc.
Last edited by swilkes on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

I am not a plumber but I have stayed at a Holiday Express! Normally copper is used inside the home and galvanized outside. That said, most today are various "plastic" pipes, ie. pvc, cpvc or pex and their variants.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 9

Post by imkopaka »

swilkes wrote:Shark bite fitting. And pex A lil expensive but easy to do
Not sure what you just said :lol: could you elaborate a little?
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

swilkes

Post by swilkes »

Two coupling prob 3/4”. A foot of 3/4” pex. All bought from lowes. Cut out broke section and bend pex into place. The longer the pex the easier to bend and connect. Pretty sure shark bites will fit on Cooper, cpvc, and iron pipe as long as it is not to rusted. I know for a fact it won’t go over pvc.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

imkopaka wrote:
Not sure what you just said :lol: could you elaborate a little?
Shark bites are push in pipe repair connectors. Check out Home Depot's selection here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

swilkes wrote:

Two coupling prob 3/4”. A foot of 3/4” pex. All bought from lowes. Cut out broke section and bend pex into place. The longer the pex the easier to bend and connect. Pretty sure shark bites will fit on Cooper, cpvc, and iron pipe as long as it is not to rusted. I know for a fact it won’t go over pvc.
This.

Shark bite is a specific fitting. If you go to a plumbing supply they will know what you are talking about. Also in order to use the pex you need the crimpers and crimp rings. The crimpers are the most expensive. Honeslty by the time you buy the material and tools you could have paid a decent plumber to come do it. I don’t know why it would have burst unless it’s very very shallow.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Yes I agree shark bite. Home depot, Lowe's, etc. Basically it's a short adapter that you can simply stick two ends of your pipe in. Really depends on how long the crack is where your line is leaking as you what you will need. You can always watch a few YouTube videos. I've used them as temporary fixes before with no issues. You're 5 hours from me or I would be happy to lend a hand. You might also check out your local hardware store for advice and maybe someone would be willing to lend a hand if you ask around.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

couzin

Post by couzin »

Previous repair to a gas line (entire line from meter to pipe entering house) was connected with shark bite fittings, four years later one pulled apart, water flooded the line, and gas entered the house before we woke up and called Atmos. Had to redo both ends of line and of course pass pressure inspection again. House next door had a water line repaired with shark bite and one of those let go as well. No more shark bites - at least not in this blackland clay.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

swilkes

Post by swilkes »

AndyC wrote:Sweating copper piping: https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing ... /view-all/

I learned how to do this when helping a friend build a hunting camp; not hard.
not hard on clean Cooper, out in the open. Can be quite picky when it’s been burried for years and in a hole.
But not impossible.
Last edited by swilkes on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swilkes

Post by swilkes »

couzin wrote:Previous repair to a gas line (entire line from meter to pipe entering house) was connected with shark bite fittings, four years later one pulled apart, water flooded the line, and gas entered the house before we woke up and called Atmos. Had to redo both ends of line and of course pass pressure inspection again. House next door had a water line repaired with shark bite and one of those let go as well. No more shark bites - at least not in this blackland clay.
I don’t that’s legal to begin with. I wouldn’t use a shark bite on gas.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:Sweating copper piping: https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing ... /view-all/

I learned how to do this when helping a friend build a hunting camp; not hard. Flux is the magic ingredient - don't ignore it.
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Off-Topic”