CA: No place but California

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 246

CA: No place but California

Post by philip964 »

California really needs its own thread.

http://ucsdguardian.org/2017/11/15/stud ... sues-ucsd/

California student, sues UC San Diego after she was hit by a car on I-5 after she tried to stop traffic during a election night protest of Trump's victory. She feels the University should have stopped the protest before it got out of control and she decided to stop traffic on a busy interstate highway.

Defense attorney asked her if her parents taught her not to play in the street when she was a child.

strogg
Posts in topic: 39

Re: CA: No place but California

Post by strogg »

Welcome to what many lawyers call the "Touchy Feely State." They are unique with a notion of comparative responsibility, where partial blame can be assigned to multiple parties. This leads to a lot of crap lawsuits. I'm so glad I escaped that gestapo. I personally know a victim of such a lawsuit. A drunk high school student stumbled and jaywalked across the street of a poorly lit highway in the middle of the night, then was struck by a vehicle. Police and insurance adjusters both saw her as at fault. But what happens? Her family sues the driver of said vehicle for $1.2M in damages. Just wow. Fortunately for the driver, the judge pretty much threw the case out.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

strogg wrote:Welcome to what many lawyers call the "Touchy Feely State." They are unique with a notion of comparative responsibility, where partial blame can be assigned to multiple parties. This leads to a lot of crap lawsuits. I'm so glad I escaped that gestapo. I personally know a victim of such a lawsuit. A drunk high school student stumbled and jaywalked across the street of a poorly lit highway in the middle of the night, then was struck by a vehicle. Police and insurance adjusters both saw her as at fault. But what happens? Her family sues the driver of said vehicle for $1.2M in damages. Just wow. Fortunately for the driver, the judge pretty much threw the case out.
They probably calculated the $1.2M based on the amount of lost future food stamps and welfare that the kid would have received during her lifetime.

This whole thread sounds like an extreme of the "I can't do anything unless someone tells me to do it" mentality. I saw this when I was graduating from college and prepping for the CPA exam. There were two choices. An online* repository of past exam questions or a classroom setting where an instructor would walk you through the same questions and assign you homework to go over them. The online version was about 1/5th the cost, so I went with that. All of my friends paid more for the classroom session because in their words, "I won't ever actually do the work unless an instructor is forcing me to". I passed all 4 parts of the exam the first time. None of my 5 friends passed more than one part. It truly is amazing how you don't need to be smarter than the other guy as long as you are willing to out work them.

* This was in the mid-1990's before Al Gore invented the internet, so by "online" I mean a stack of floppy disks that you put in your computer. And for the younger members here, a computer is like a really big phone that doesn't make calls.

lama
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lama »

Wait! FLOPPY disks you mean they had flexible CDs?!?!

A really big phone that can't make calls? Noone really calls away texting is all you really need anyway.

Your condescending tone would be better placed towards floppy disks, maybe how they were hard and hard disks were floppy. Even 21 year olds these days were bought up before phones were the pocket supercomputers they were today. (I know because I am only a few years older)

Please note that that I took your comment in jest and intend my to be the same.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

lama wrote:Wait! FLOPPY disks you mean they had flexible CDs?!?!

A really big phone that can't make calls? Noone really calls away texting is all you really need anyway.

Your condescending tone would be better placed towards floppy disks, maybe how they were hard and hard disks were floppy. Even 21 year olds these days were bought up before phones were the pocket supercomputers they were today. (I know because I am only a few years older)

Please note that that I took your comment in jest and intend my to be the same.
Yes, it was in jest. Didn't mean to be condescending.

BTW, the disks in question really were "floppy". The 5 1/4 inch version. Not the compact 3 1/2 inch "hard floppy" disks.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I used punch cards. :grumble
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

GreenMan0352

Post by GreenMan0352 »

Sheesh I’m glad to be back in America. Heck even Afghanistan was better than Comifornia! Kidding... but only slightly

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I'm in a unique age bracket - I grew up knowing of and even using some of the older floppy disks and non-internet connected computers (IE dialup) but by the time I hit the workforce that was pretty much a thing of the past(thank god). But it was a good thing in a lot of ways because I grew up in the current technology changes so it made for working in IT a second nature.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

I remember a different California. Gun stores like in the movie Terminator. Watch out Texas, it could happen here.
My first experience with computers was punch cards too. I believe it was an IBM 1401. You had to schedule time to use it.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

In my day we used good ole fashioned vacuum tubes in our ENIAC. And we programmed it by flipping switches and rotating dials. Good we cracked that Enigma code and the Japanese Navy code though! We didn't want our future to look like the Philip K. Dick novel "Man in the High Castle"... :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

My first Computer had no hard drive...lol. The 5.25 inch floppies would hold 144kb of data unless you splurged on the high density ones that would hold 1.2 Mb...lol. I have web resolution images that won't fit on one of those...lol...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

RogueUSMC wrote:My first Computer had no hard drive...lol. The 5.25 inch floppies would hold 144kb of data unless you splurged on the high density ones that would hold 1.2 Mb...lol. I have web resolution images that won't fit on one of those...lol...
I always wanted a Radio Shack TRS-80 with a cassette tape drive and 4K of RAM for $599 in 1978 dollars, a mere $2367 in today's dollars.

Man that Zilog Z-80 processor was screamin' with a 1.7Mhz rate. Only 2000 times slower than today's typical CPU. And 4,000,000 times less memory.

:biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

rotor wrote:I remember a different California. Gun stores like in the movie Terminator. Watch out Texas, it could happen here.
My first experience with computers was punch cards too. I believe it was an IBM 1401. You had to schedule time to use it.
Sure you're not thinking of the OTHER 'Arnold movie', "Commando"? Now THAT was a gun store!
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

RogueUSMC wrote:My first Computer had no hard drive...lol. The 5.25 inch floppies would hold 144kb of data unless you splurged on the high density ones that would hold 1.2 Mb...lol. I have web resolution images that won't fit on one of those...lol...
My very first computer was a Commador Vic 20. I bought an optional cassette drive that plugged into the computer so I could save the programs I wrote (in Basic). It used standard audio cassettes. That was sometime in the early to mid 1980's.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
My very first computer was a Commador Vic 20. I bought an optional cassette drive that plugged into the computer so I could save the programs I wrote (in Basic). It used standard audio cassettes. That was sometime in the early to mid 1980's.
I had a Commodore 64. It was less useful than my TI programmable calculator that used the little tape strip memory cards for your applications routines.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Off-Topic”