Self driving vehicles creep me out. How will feds mandate purchases?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Self driving vehicles creep me out. How will feds mandate purchases?

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Well, so much for Asimov's laws keeping us safe..... :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Are people actually 'buying' these things or are they given away for beta testing?

Anyone know?

P.S. I wouldn't accept one free, heck, I wouldn't accept one if they paid me...

JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JakeTheSnake »

This post reminds of this song and where we are headed.
https://youtu.be/uukZgfHZIoc

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
OneGun wrote:So, who goes on trial for vehicular manslaughter? Can the self-driving car be tried as an adult human?
probably a 'defective product' and/or 'wrongful death' lawsuit. No criminal culpability because no one is 'in charge'.
If there was a human in the vehicle who could have prevented the accident, but failed to do so, then that human could be negligent. Otherwise, it is probably the same as the case with a Ford (?) model where the company knew that a potentially deadly defect existed and could be repaired, but decided that it was cheaper to pay a few settlements than to issue a recall. If I recall correctly that didn't end well for the company, but I also don't think that anyone was criminally charged.

This all assumes that the pedestrian wasn't solely at fault by doing something stupid like jumping in front of the car, etc. Even if that is the case, I would expect a quick settlement in this case.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

azul

Post by azul »

I can think of two easy possibilities.

1. Make self-driving part of the safety inspection. No pass no registration renewal.

2. Require human-driven motor vehicles to be registered with the Bureau of Automobiles, Trucks and Four-wheelers. Registration will require fingerprints of the owner/driver, a $200 registration fee, and a background check showing no traffic tickets. Ever. SCOTUS agrees these are reasonable restrictions.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

For the self driving cars, they still require a person to be in the vehicle. Any accidents will and should be the fault of the "driver."

Self driving motorcycles will be even further away than self driving semi-trucks. My wife and daughter both enjoy riding on the back with me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

Some predictions never arrive, some arrive much slower than predicted, and some faster. I think self-driving cars will happen fairly quickly, because they are the only means to ease traffic in those areas where people insist on living too close together.

Eventually when vehicles are all communicating, things will be very safe. Until then, while there's a mix, SDVs have to be very well designed and tested. Incidents will fall into 2 categories - failure (as in sensors) and conditions outside of design. The failure part can be minimized the same way safety sensors on dangerous equipment are monitored for proper operation.

In short order, SDVs will be the safer alternative to drivers.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I have a 2014 Nissan with a gadget that squawks at me when I stray from my lane. Sounds good on paper but...
Every morning taking I610 to work, it squawks when drive over the sandblasted lane markers near the galleria
I've had it squawk when I drove away from the sunrise. I guess the sensor is in the back.
I had to turn it off on the narrow curvy roads on the scenic route around Ft Stockton Texas.

I am unsure that our Texas roads are up to the standards needed by SDVs
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 4
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

https://www.wired.com/story/ubers-self- ... d-jaywalk/

Credit the above link to wired.com, dated 11/5/19.

Uber's software had no ability to deal with a jaywalking human.

People......they're so darned unpredictable.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 4
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51645566

The above link details a stupid driver who died trusting his life to his self driving Tesla.

He was aware from multiple previous occasions, that his car wanted to drive itself into the barrier, and had even complained to Tesla about it.

Did this mean he was always in full control of his vehicle? No, he was playing a video game on his cellphone at the time of the crash. Prior to the crash he never touched the steering wheel or the brakes. Tesla said that the car wasn't designed to react correctly to the barrier. This is just another glaring example of why humans should be driving vehicles. There's too many variables in the real world for the software to handle.

Yes, this qualifies for a Darwin Award, Modern Technology edition.

When viewing the photo of the death car, I thought it was possible that the car had been cut up with the jaws of life by the first responders. Oh no, the front clip (everything ahead of the firewall) went one way, and the rear of the car went another. It's bad enough that the car steered itself into the barrier and killed its owner, but think about how other non-Tesla sedans look after a crash. They have much more structural integrity, even after hitting a fixed object at 71 MPH, as in this case.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Off-Topic”