Walmart to raise minimum age for all gun sales to 21

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Walmart to raise minimum age for all gun sales to 21

Post by Abraham »

Flightmare,

Thank you!

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

So, at 18 you're considered an adult, you can vote, you can fight for the country, you can exercise all of your rights, except, it's looking like your 2nd....this is starting to look very wrong....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

SewTexas wrote:So, at 18 you're considered an adult, you can vote, you can fight for the country, you can exercise all of your rights, except, it's looking like your 2nd....this is starting to look very wrong....
Agreed, I will accept that a private business/person should be permitted to discriminate based on whatever criteria they choose. Walmart and others may choose not to sell firearms to people under the age of 21, or 25, or whatever arbitrary age they choose. I do not have to patronize said business.

However, I question the constitutionality of any law that would say people who have reached the age of majority are not afforded the same rights as other people who have reached the age of majority. By it's very definition, it would be a violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment....IMHO
IANAL
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Flightmare wrote:
SewTexas wrote:So, at 18 you're considered an adult, you can vote, you can fight for the country, you can exercise all of your rights, except, it's looking like your 2nd....this is starting to look very wrong....
Agreed, I will accept that a private business/person should be permitted to discriminate based on whatever criteria they choose. Walmart and others may choose not to sell firearms to people under the age of 21, or 25, or whatever arbitrary age they choose. I do not have to patronize said business.

However, I question the constitutionality of any law that would say people who have reached the age of majority are not afforded the same rights as other people who have reached the age of majority. By it's very definition, it would be a violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment....IMHO
IANAL
yes, I agree that WM and Dick's have the right to do whatever they want. But I'm not sure that the Feds have the Const right to raise the age to 21. I'm not even really sure that the states do? It'd be fun to take it to the right court.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

So if I am 18 and want to marry my kangaroo I can force you to bake me a cake but cannot force you to sell me a firearm which is a constitutional right affirmed by the BOR.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Off-Topic”