Altercation and reprisal

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Altercation and reprisal

Post by RPBrown »

JakeTheSnake wrote:This is why I have these.
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
Yes, but not a single one in the back yard as was the case at my house until I put the plug in camera out there. Last night I went an purchased the Arlo 4 camera set up on TAM's recommendation. I will be installing them tonight. I already have on camera as well as a doorbell camera that is attached to our alarm system and covers the drive way and front porch. Along with the Arlo cameras I will be covering my entire yard front and back.

Update on our confrontation: When I got home last night the neighbor "adult" (I use the term adult because he looks to be about 17) started walking over and I thought to myself, here we go. However, he stuck his hand out and apologized for their behavior and said he had had a bad day and was already frustrated. I accepted his apology and told him that as long as they kept the balls on his side of the fence, we were good.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Mike S wrote:
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
Jake,
Which model of PTZ do you have? That's amazing clarity...
Dahua SD49225T-HN
RPBrown wrote:
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
Yes, but not a single one in the back yard as was the case at my house until I put the plug in camera out there. Last night I went an purchased the Arlo 4 camera set up on TAM's recommendation. I will be installing them tonight. I already have on camera as well as a doorbell camera that is attached to our alarm system and covers the drive way and front porch. Along with the Arlo cameras I will be covering my entire yard front and back.

Update on our confrontation: When I got home last night the neighbor "adult" (I use the term adult because he looks to be about 17) started walking over and I thought to myself, here we go. However, he stuck his hand out and apologized for their behavior and said he had had a bad day and was already frustrated. I accepted his apology and told him that as long as they kept the balls on his side of the fence, we were good.
Everyone's situation is different, I have cameras in the back, but I don't have to worry about kids playing basketball against the back fence. Their hoop is out at the street, have to worry about their balls hitting vehicles.

I would not trust our security to wireless, and for the cost you can get very good low light wired cameras. Our cameras have no access to the internet and we access them remotely via VPN.

Anyway, glad the kid manned up. Hopefully you don't have anymore issues.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
RPBrown wrote:All of this leads to the point that although I had my EDC on me, at no time did I even consider pulling it. However, had it been darker and I not see the age of the boys when I went outside, I may have had it in hand. Just don't know for sure on that point.
And THAT, gentlemen, is how we do that! Well done.

I’m very glad that I installed the Arlo system at my house, I currently have 3 cameras operating, with the ability to add two more - which I will be doing soon. I currently have camera #1 mounted at the east side of my house overlooking my driveway and garage. My back yard is reasonably large and subdivided by a north/south fence into two halves - east and west. I have the second camera mounted near the dividing fence, monitoring from the fence to the west, and the third camera mounted near the dividing fence, monitoring from the fence to the east. Both of those cameras cover the yard and all of the rear access points to the house. Additionally, I have a video camera doorbell as part of the alarm system - very similar to the Ring doorbell we had at our old house. My home has a large wrap-around porch on the front and east sides. The doorbell camera monitors nearly all of the front side of the porch. Arlo camera #1 which overlooks the driveway is mounted on the east side of the porch but doesn’t monitor the porch itself. However, it does monitor one of the two access points to that side of the porch, and the doorbell camera monitors the other access point. I’m going to place a 4th camera in a tree that is in my front yard, pointed back toward the front of the house from the southwest corner of the property to get a broad view of it. That will also give me coverage of the west side of my house, which right now is not under surveillance. The fifth camera is going to go on the far side of my garage, where there is a blind spot between what cameras #1 and #2 can see.

I live in a very low crime area, and it is pretty quiet and all of my neighbors seem to be genuinely nice and peaceful people. I am more concerned about my neighborhood being seen as easy pickings by outsiders with bad intent. I realize that none of this is going to actually stop a determined thief, but it gives a high probability of identifying both the thief AND his vehicle for police. Between the two gunsafes in our man cave, the gun cabinet in my bedroom, and the top shelf of my son’s closet in his bedroom, we’ve probably got 40 or 50 guns in the house......not to mention jewelry, cash, and other valuables. I don’t want any of that stolen, so even though we have a pretty decent burglar alarm system, those cameras add a great deal of peace of mind.

Although I can manually monitor any of the cameras any time I want to using my phone app or by logging into the Arlo website, I’ve also set the system up to automatically start recording any movements it picks up between 10pm and 7am. So part of my morning entertainment each day is reviewing all of the short little videos that were recorded during the night. The cameras operate in color mode during daylight, and go to night vision automatically after the sun goes down, so they see little thing that happens. So far, all the criminal activity has been limited to possums, stray cats, and a trio of neighborhood dogs that gets out once in a while. :mrgreen: If one of those cameras will pickup and cleanly record a possum skedaddling across my driveway at 3am, it will surely see and make clearly identifiable any human sized critter wandering around my property at night.

The system sets up very easily and the instructions are very strait forward. It was designed for nimrods such as myself to be able to use. There’s a dedicated base station that plugs into your wifi router, and then the cameras synch to the base station via wifi. I will gladly recommend an Arlo system to any home owner. There are probably better systems for security professionals, but for the homeowner who just wants to protect his property and get some peace of mind, the Arlo camera systems are pretty darn good. This is the system I initially bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWS96JV. Now, I got mine at a discounted rate from my home security company, so I didn’t pay $498 for it. IIRC, I paid $299 because I was signing up with a new monitoring company when I moved into this house. Even so, if I had not had that steeply discounted price, for the peace of mind that came with it, I would gladly pay the $498.
TAM -

Do you have the Arlo Pro or the Arlo Pro 2? I'm reading reviews and they seem mixed (to say the least), but a number are saying that the older Pro is actually better than the newer Pro 2. Any thoughts on that?

Also, you mentioned that you have 4 cameras with room to add one more. I would like to get 6 total, and it looks like you can buy a 6 camera Arlo set-up on Amazon. Are you sure that your base station is limited to only 5?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:TAM -

Do you have the Arlo Pro or the Arlo Pro 2? I'm reading reviews and they seem mixed (to say the least), but a number are saying that the older Pro is actually better than the newer Pro 2. Any thoughts on that?

Also, you mentioned that you have 4 cameras with room to add one more. I would like to get 6 total, and it looks like you can buy a 6 camera Arlo set-up on Amazon. Are you sure that your base station is limited to only 5?
Soccerdad, I have the older Pro system, which I purchased right at the cusp of October/November last year. We moved into our new house on 10/27, and it was a couple of days after that when we had the alarm system installed and they gave us the Arlo system. As I previously mentioned, I got a killer price on it, so I suspect that they were blowing them out because the Pro 2 systems were coming.

I don’t really know anything about the Pro 2 system. I just assumed that maybe the base station had a more powerful signal, or the camera resolutions were better, but I haven’t really heard any details about the Pro 2 - pro or con. I was just now comparing the two on the Arlo website, and the two differences that stand out to me off the top of my head are: (1) the Pro is described as “HD”, while the Pro 2 is described as “1080P HD”; and (2) the Pro 2 has a 3 second lookback feature that allows you to see the 3 seconds before the camera picks up motion and starts recording, while the Pro does not have that feature. I can see how the lookback feature could be useful. A lot of the time, in the videos that my cameras record of critters coming and going during the night, the critter is already almost 1/4 of the way into the frame before the recording starts. So apparently there is a short time delay between when the infrared sensor picks up the motion, and when the CCD record starts. So a 3 second lookback would give you a view of the subject just entering the frame.

Also, the infrared sensor in the cameras are capable of picking up motion that is beyond the ability of the camera to actually see it at night. So when I scan through the videos in the morning, there are often clips where the camera seems to be recording nothing. So although the cameras are automatically in “night vision” mode after sundown, it’s not like they are anywhere near the capabilities of say a FLIR optic. My ATN ThOR-HD FLIR riflescope will detect a heat source at 625 yards, recognize it as animal at 280 yards, and identify what kind of animal well enough to shoot it at 170 yards. By comparison, the Arlo Pro camera can’t see beyond the tree on the other side of my driveway. The heat sensor can detect motion out there, but the camera can’t tell you what it is.

I currently have 3 cameras, not 4, with the ability to add 2 more. The Arlo system I have can accommodate up to 5 cameras. The 4th camera you’re thinking of is the doorbell camera that is a separate product, also provided by my home security company (MONI Smart Security). The doorbell camera integrates with the alarm.com app that MONI provides its users. The Arlo system is free standing, apart from the alarm system, and uses its own app.

Off hand, I don’t know if there is an Arlo system that can accommodate more than 5 cameras or not. Might could be. It wouldn’t be that hard to find out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:TAM -

Soccerdad, I have the older Pro system, which I purchased right at the cusp of October/November last year. We moved into our new house on 10/27, and it was a couple of days after that when we had the alarm system installed and they gave us the Arlo system. As I previously mentioned, I got a killer price on it, so I suspect that they were blowing them out because the Pro 2 systems were coming.

I don’t really know anything about the Pro 2 system. I just assumed that maybe the base station had a more powerful signal, or the camera resolutions were better, but I haven’t really heard any details about the Pro 2 - pro or con. I was just now comparing the two on the Arlo website, and the two differences that stand out to me off the top of my head are: (1) the Pro is described as “HD”, while the Pro 2 is described as “1080P HD”; and (2) the Pro 2 has a 3 second lookback feature that allows you to see the 3 seconds before the camera picks up motion and starts recording, while the Pro does not have that feature. I can see how the lookback feature could be useful. A lot of the time, in the videos that my cameras record of critters coming and going during the night, the critter is already almost 1/4 of the way into the frame before the recording starts. So apparently there is a short time delay between when the infrared sensor picks up the motion, and when the CCD record starts. So a 3 second lookback would give you a view of the subject just entering the frame.

Also, the infrared sensor in the cameras are capable of picking up motion that is beyond the ability of the camera to actually see it at night. So when I scan through the videos in the morning, there are often clips where the camera seems to be recording nothing. So although the cameras are automatically in “night vision” mode after sundown, it’s not like they are anywhere near the capabilities of say a FLIR optic. My ATN ThOR-HD FLIR riflescope will detect a heat source at 625 yards, recognize it as animal at 280 yards, and identify what kind of animal well enough to shoot it at 170 yards. By comparison, the Arlo Pro camera can’t see beyond the tree on the other side of my driveway. The heat sensor can detect motion out there, but the camera can’t tell you what it is.

I currently have 3 cameras, not 4, with the ability to add 2 more. The Arlo system I have can accommodate up to 5 cameras. The 4th camera you’re thinking of is the doorbell camera that is a separate product, also provided by my home security company (MONI Smart Security). The doorbell camera integrates with the alarm.com app that MONI provides its users. The Arlo system is free standing, apart from the alarm system, and uses its own app.

Off hand, I don’t know if there is an Arlo system that can accommodate more than 5 cameras or not. Might could be. It wouldn’t be that hard to find out.
Thanks for the info. On the Amazon reviews some folks are claiming that there are glitches with the Pro2 like battery drainage, that are not there with the Pro. I think most of the folks with problems are using them in cold weather (sub zero Fahrenheit) though, which won't ever be an issue in Houston unless the Global Warming crowd is REALLY wrong.

I currently have 3 cameras that were installed by Xfinity a few years back. They have not been working since Harvey and I am finally getting around to having them send a tech out to fix them. These cover my driveway and 2 in the living areas of the house. I want to get one more covering the front and side door (90 degrees would be sufficient, but I think the cameras are 130 degrees, so should be OK with one there), and then another covering the back door, as well as a third covering the area where I have my gun safes. I pay Xfinity $40 a month right now for the cameras and alarm monitoring, and am debating between supplementing that with a new 3 camera system, buying 3 additional through Xfinity, or scrapping Xfinity altogether and getting a 6 camera system from Arlo or another company. The 6 camera Arlo system is this one https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Security ... 5YE9W573P9

Return to “Off-Topic”