The "I am a marine not a soldier"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SkullCop
Posts in topic: 3

The "I am a marine not a soldier"

Post by SkullCop »

I have a couple of places I go where I run into the old school vets and there were a few young Marines that came in.
One of the Older Marines said Thank you young man for your service. The Young Marine said thank you and to you as well.
The Older Vet then says it is a totally different world to be a soldier in now a days.
To that the young Marine stuck out his chest and proudly said "I am a Marine not a soldier." (Sort of respectfully but the Older Vet got an evil grin. Then replied.
" Young man I hope you will one day never learn the hard way that we are all soldiers."
The young Marine got a puzzled look on his face. The older Marines Navy Buddy decides to pipe in with "We fought side by side and lost the same friends and honor all of our fallen soldiers, and just to be technical (Clears his throat) The definition in the Dictionary is a Marine is a Navy Soldier."
The young marine just said yes sir and walked out.

I was just curious if this is actually an age thing or not. I know a few older Marines that would say the same thing.
Last edited by SkullCop on Tue May 01, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soccerdad1995

Re: The "I am a marine not a soldier"

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I was Army, not Marines, and have never known many Marines personally. But I always thought of "Soldier" as Army, just like "Airman" = Air Force, "Sailor" = Navy, and "Wannabe" = Coast Guard.

I would never think to call a Marine "Soldier", any more than I would call him a "Sailor". Maybe that is just me.

GreenMan0352
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GreenMan0352 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I was Army, not Marines, and have never known many Marines personally. But I always thought of "Soldier" as Army, just like "Airman" = Air Force, "Sailor" = Navy, and "Wannabe" = Coast Guard.

I would never think to call a Marine "Soldier", any more than I would call him a "Sailor". Maybe that is just me.
:iagree:
Exactly.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cyphertext »

Marines will tell you that they are not soldiers. The Army has soldiers and the Marines have Marines. Just like the Air Force has airmen and the Navy has sailors. Civilians will call any service member a soldier as a generic term, but there is a difference.

The young Marine is technically correct, but the puffing of the chest is intraservice rivalry. But when it is time to go to work, we are all the same team.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

As a Marine, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with age...except perhaps that older Marines are sometimes a little less tactful when they correct the terminology. I will politely correct anyone who refers to Marines as "soldiers" both as a pride issue and an accuracy issue. As Soccerdad said, you wouldn't call a soldier or Marine "sailor," so it shouldn't be acceptable to call a Marine "soldier" either. We work dang hard for that prestigious title.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Topic author
SkullCop

Post by SkullCop »

cyphertext wrote:Marines will tell you that they are not soldiers. The Army has soldiers and the Marines have Marines. Just like the Air Force has airmen and the Navy has sailors. Civilians will call any service member a soldier as a generic term, but there is a difference.

The young Marine is technically correct, but the puffing of the chest is intraservice rivalry. But when it is time to go to work, we are all the same team.
That's pretty much how I felt as well. My Father was a Marine also and he was one of the we are all brothers in arms and a soldier is a soldiers kind of guy.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I've got about 6 Marine buddies/acquaintances.

I used the term "former Marine" one time.

Just once.

Topic author
SkullCop

Post by SkullCop »

imkopaka wrote:As a Marine, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with age...except perhaps that older Marines are sometimes a little less tactful when they correct the terminology. I will politely correct anyone who refers to Marines as "soldiers" both as a pride issue and an accuracy issue. As Soccerdad said, you wouldn't call a soldier or Marine "sailor," so it shouldn't be acceptable to call a Marine "soldier" either. We work dang hard for that prestigious title.
I understand completely. I had boot camp in Ft. McClellan Alabama. I was Army and there were Army, Marines and Navy training together.
When I said older Vet I am meaning Korean War and WWII Vets. They have a totally different view on the armed forces. I find it interesting to listen to the banter and stories they tell.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

Even the Corps has called them "soldiers".
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

SkullCop wrote:
imkopaka wrote:As a Marine, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with age...except perhaps that older Marines are sometimes a little less tactful when they correct the terminology. I will politely correct anyone who refers to Marines as "soldiers" both as a pride issue and an accuracy issue. As Soccerdad said, you wouldn't call a soldier or Marine "sailor," so it shouldn't be acceptable to call a Marine "soldier" either. We work dang hard for that prestigious title.
I understand completely. I had boot camp in Ft. McClellan Alabama. I was Army and there were Army, Marines and Navy training together.
When I said older Vet I am meaning Korean War and WWII Vets. They have a totally different view on the armed forces. I find it interesting to listen to the banter and stories they tell.
Well if you go back far enough, you would have the Army Air Corps instead of the Air Force. Not sure what Army Air Corps members were called.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

This is my rifle, this is my gun... :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I was Army, not Marines, and have never known many Marines personally. But I always thought of "Soldier" as Army, just like "Airman" = Air Force, "Sailor" = Navy, and "Wannabe" = Coast Guard.

Of course, I never miss an opportunity to remind my younger brother, retired USMC LtCol, that he was in the Navy! :reddevil

Further, in the Army, all tend to call all Sergeants "Sergeant", except for the Sergeant Major, of course. Try that with a Marine and you will get an education.

I honor all my brothers in arms, but only the Army makes soldiers.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

oljames3 wrote:

Of course, I never miss an opportunity to remind my younger brother, retired USMC LtCol, that he was in the Navy! :reddevil

Further, in the Army, all tend to call all Sergeants "Sergeant", except for the Sergeant Major, of course. Try that with a Marine and you will get an education.

I honor all my brothers in arms, but only the Army makes soldiers.
The Marine Corps is a department of the Navy... The Men's Department. :biggrinjester:
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I'm an old Marine. Never a soldier. Although the term Naval Infantry is applicable (notice I didn't say Navy infantry :) ) I was happy to call myself a "naval officer" in the Department of the Navy, but never in the Navy.

I always had an appreciation for the Vietnamese term for Marine however - "Tuy Quan Luc Chien" or TQLC, literally "water soldier who fights on land" has a certain poetry to it.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I wore my Army infantry blue cord with pride. I challenge any of y’all to talk about the blue cord.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Off-Topic”