Prescription Glasses help

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Prescription Glasses help

Post by cmgee67 »

I don’t know what to look for in glasses. The glasses I let my wife pick out last year are more for style than function. I however am more of a function guy. I like how my sunglasses I wear have lenses big enough to where I don’t see my frames. That is a huge thing for me. I can’t stand seeing my frames. Also I don’t think my prescription has ever been 100% because my depth perception is way off when I wear them. The doc told me I’d get used to them but I haven’t in a year. So I don’t wear them like I should. Consequently my vision has gotten worse. I went to America’s best and I think that was a mistake. I’m in the Rockwall area. Any suggestions on glasses and or Doctors

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Prescription Glasses help

Post by LTUME1978 »

One thing to watch out for is the base curve of the lens. If they don't get that right when they make the glasses, I can never adjust to them if the base curve is wrong (as they claim) and can't see right/get headaches. I will make them remake the lenses now if they get that wrong. That may be part of the problem you are experiencing. May be other issues with the glasses as well.

jonmo1

Post by jonmo1 »

To be honest, I’d say lower your expectations of eyeglasses.
A doctor once told me that no lense made by man will ever work as well as the human eye.
Total blindness aside, everyone has a range that they still see well without glasses. Some are near sighted, some far. So no lense will ever match the clarity your eyes provide naturally within that range.

That said, if your depth perception is messed up you may have astigmatism. Or you just hit the lottery of a bad exam.

Go again, any doctor should do fine. I just go to in house doctor at lensecrafters.
But maybe let them do the full exam. They charge a little extra for the eye scan, but it’s worth it. I forget what it’s called, just an HD scan of the inside of your eye. High tech way of looking without dilating your eye the way they used to.

And make sure they do a good fitting. Aligning your eyeballs with the focal point of the lenses.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just had cataract surgery and lens replacement in both eyes - 3.5 weeks ago for the left eye, and 1.5 for the right. It is awesome. After having worn glasses for the past 30 years, I haven’t need glasses since the day of the first surgery. I did step up and buy an expensive pair of sunglasses though.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

They said I have an astigmatism in the right eye. Will that always make my depth perception off with glasses? If so what’s the next step.

TAM congrats that’s great!

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

cmgee67 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:16 pm They said I have an astigmatism in the right eye. Will that always make my depth perception off with glasses? If so what’s the next step.

TAM congrats that’s great!
i have extreme astigmatism. even with glasses your depth perception will be a bit off... for me driving at night is bad because everything looks like a blur and i cant tell how far away a car is from me. there is a form of lasik that can correct astigmatism i believe.
NRA Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

FWIW, I wear glasses mostly for astigmatism. Computer screens are pretty bad, the rest of life is just a little off. I can't wear my glasses (single vision or progressive) when driving. I get awful headaches and feel like my depth perception is off.

I solved the problem by wearing contacts. I can see the computer and have perfect clarity driving.

I find contacts a bit of a pain compared to eyeglasses, but worth the effort.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”