Reporting Multiple Sales

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BBYC
Posts in topic: 2

Reporting Multiple Sales

Post by BBYC »

I know FFL are required to report multiple handgun sales.

I know FFL are required to report multiple semi-auto rifle sales in some states with large Hispanic population.

Are FFL required to report multiple stripped receiver sales?
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Reporting Multiple Sales

Post by The Annoyed Man »

BBYC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm I know FFL are required to report multiple handgun sales.

I know FFL are required to report multiple semi-auto rifle sales in some states with large Hispanic population.

A stripped lower receiver IS a serial# bearing firearm for purposes of FFL records. Hence the market for 80% receivers.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:08 pm
BBYC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm I know FFL are required to report multiple handgun sales.

A stripped lower receiver IS a serial# bearing firearm for purposes of FFL records. Hence the market for 80% receivers.
Don't you need access to a machine shop to finish an 80% lower? Is It legal to have someone do it for you?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

The Obama era rule required reporting multiple sales (two or more)of certain long gun sales in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas. The types of rifles that must be reported are those with the following characteristics: semiautomatic, a caliber greater than .22 (including .223 or 5.56 mm), and the ability to accept detachable magazines. Of course Eric Holder and the Obama Administration ignored this rule for fast and Furious sales. Our present Republican Administration extended this rule for three years in January of this year! I am on the list.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/fac ... arms-sales
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bbhack »

Liberty wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:41 pm
Don't you need access to a machine shop to finish an 80% lower? Is It legal to have someone do it for you?
Jigs are available to complete an 80% using a drill press - no mill required. I would not have someone else do it for you. Also, metal finishing may be considered "completing" - so you can't leave it at the metal finishers - you may have to babysit the part while the process is done. DIY metal finishing is also an option. I have done that, but never with super results.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I sure wish I could afford to buy multiple guns all at once. :biggrinjester:

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 pm I sure wish I could afford to buy multiple guns all at once. :biggrinjester:
Somebody was selling $30 lowers a while back.
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Wolverine wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:26 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 pm I sure wish I could afford to buy multiple guns all at once. :biggrinjester:
Somebody was selling $30 lowers a while back.
:thumbs2: Primary Arms in Houston had stripped Anderson lowers for $29.99!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

No, you just need a jig and a drill press. I have both of those items, but I haven’t actually done one yet. I bought this jig from Juggernaut Tactical, which will do both AR15 and AR10 lowers: https://jtactical.com/products/47

It comes with all the tooling you need. The downside..... it seems that the sellers of 80% lowers frequently charge a premium, even though it costs them less to make it, simply because they understand that lack of an ATF record has a value in itself. For instance, their basic model costs $69.00, and their billet models cost $130.00. When you figure in the $189 for the jig/tooling, plus the cost of the lower, even a forged lower runs into some money for a single unit. Unless you were willing to pay ANYthing for an unserialized lower, it’s just not cost effective until you can amortize the cost of the jig over a number of lowers. I didn’t buy mine to save money. I bought mine for the day when you can’t buy these things anymore. My son is a qualified machinist, and our next big purchases will be to pick up a lathe and a mill for our workshop. Then we can do whatever we want, as long as we can obtain a billet of aluminum.........again, NOT to become a manufacturer for commercial purposes, but to become independent of federal gun laws.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:12 pm

No, you just need a jig and a drill press. I have both of those items, but I haven’t actually done one yet. I bought this jig from Juggernaut Tactical, which will do both AR15 and AR10 lowers: https://jtactical.com/products/47

It comes with all the tooling you need. The downside..... it seems that the sellers of 80% lowers frequently charge a premium, even though it costs them less to make it, simply because they understand that lack of an ATF record has a value in itself. For instance, their basic model costs $69.00, and their billet models cost $130.00. When you figure in the $189 for the jig/tooling, plus the cost of the lower, even a forged lower runs into some money for a single unit. Unless you were willing to pay ANYthing for an unserialized lower, it’s just not cost effective until you can amortize the cost of the jig over a number of lowers. I didn’t buy mine to save money. I bought mine for the day when you can’t buy these things anymore. My son is a qualified machinist, and our next big purchases will be to pick up a lathe and a mill for our workshop. Then we can do whatever we want, as long as we can obtain a billet of aluminum.........again, NOT to become a manufacturer for commercial purposes, but to become independent of federal gun laws.
Now TAM, what you and your son could do is start yourself a nice type 07/02 FFL (manufacturing) business. Pay a little $3,000 ITAR registration fee and begin cranking out NIB post sample machine guns for sale to the government or for export (with appropriate export licenses). Of course you’d need to make 2-3 of all the popular models of M4, MP7, M249, and maybe a Thompson copy or 2 as demos. Then invite me over to test them out, and maybe make a few title 1 semi auto rifles to pay the light bill. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

jsenner

Post by jsenner »

BBYC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pmAre FFL required to report multiple stripped receiver sales?
To answer the question a bit more directly, no, FFLs do not report multiple sales of receivers.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

jsenner wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:08 pm
BBYC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pmAre FFL required to report multiple stripped receiver sales?
To answer the question a bit more directly, no, FFLs do not report multiple sales of receivers.
Correct, a receiver is not a firearm so it doesn’t fall under the multiple rifle sales reporting requirements.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

How many is a multiple?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

A multiple is more than 1. :mrgreen:

And oddly, for rifles, that rule only applies to type 1 ffls. Type 7s it's 'voluntary'.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Now I am a bit confused. Mostly because I don't know the difference in the types mentioned. I purchase two AR16 rifles and it is reported or not reported?

Return to “Off-Topic”